Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are you that vain?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Are you that vain?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-20, 10:26 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Just for my information, can you identify the bikes from left to right? Thank you. Marvelous collection by the way.
Sure. De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Bianchi Oltre XR4, and Trek Madone SLR.
Likes For Noctilux.95:
Old 08-22-20, 11:08 PM
JS41989

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL5 Comp Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Another vote for Option 3
Old 08-23-20, 05:39 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
.............................Does the aesthetics matter over equipment?

To me aesthetics does count but it's below function............................................So... be honest.
Aesthetics will not help me ride farther or faster so below function.
Old 08-23-20, 05:43 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
There are too many beautiful bikes to ride an ugly one. Which is which is entirely subjective, but I very much doubt many people spend nice-bike money on a bike they think is ugly.
Agree, totally.

Old 08-23-20, 05:47 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
All I know is that I do NOT want a bike with a big shiny metallic logo on the down tube or any tube and I've seen a few on the webz while doing some shopping. Nope, not happening for me.

Other than that, I'd buy the bike that appealed to me visually assuming it has a reliable group, preferably electronic, SRAM or Shimano or Campy.

Old 08-23-20, 11:01 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
I'm totally vain and not at all afraid to admit it. BUT, function is also incredibly important to me so I'll wait and save or pay to swap anything that I feel needs to be swapped. My Domane was built up by me when I had it, bought as a frame and fork with all parts and wheelsets chosen based on both look and function. I think some styles come into vogue as well, when the Dura Ace 9000 series came out people harped on the 4 spider crankset design's appearance. Now they've made them much more appealing to the eye although I personally liked the old as well. The shape of brake hoods, etc are all important to me from an aesthetic stand point but if I had to point them upwards or rotate my bar up a bit (not that that's possible for me lol), I would do it to ensure proper fit.

When I built this bike I took a lot of grief from some of you for my saddle choice and the look of it. Thankfully it was just a trifle too wide and even though it was one of the best saddles I've ever had I had enough challenges with the function that I went back to my Toupe. But honestly a big part of my decision to get rid of it was the look, I was happy though that it worked well for me to help with a problem I was having with my previous saddle to keep me riding when it may have been easier to stop for a spell. I also justified my current wheelset in that the previous one's hubs never loosened up enough to make me happy but the reality was both looks and the finish were just not what I was looking for for the bike. Again, happily I sold the previous wheels for as much as I paid for the current.

I believe that a bike that I like to look at brings me a level of happiness that also lets me enjoy riding as much as I do. Riding my dream bike is a guilty pleasure juggling family, and work getting out between 4 and 5 times per week is awesome. When it comes to other things though I'm not so crazed. I do have some matching kits but they were all purchased to support either our local clubs, friends, charities, etc. Almost everything else is mismatched and nothing is chosen to fit within the color scheme of the bike although I'm definitely known as one of the more colorful riders in our area lol. Clothing and contact points are all about function for me, although if I found the best fitting and most comfortable pair of shorts or jersey in the most hideous color combo imaginable I would probably just skip it!

Below are pics of when I first built the bike vs. how it stands currently. Changes included the saddle, wheels, and custom colored to match leather handlebar tape from Busyman Cycles.

And because I'm so vain...

Strange photos not uploading will try again later

Last edited by robbyville; 08-23-20 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-24-20, 11:56 AM
stuff shredman

Bikes: 2020 S-Works Tarmac - Sagan Edition /// 2016 Intense Tracer T275C ///

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 28 Posts
In a tie, I'd pick performance over looks ... but am willing to wait to get both

I had been wanting an S-Works Tarmac for a while, but the only bikes left were all black w Di2. I didn't like the look and I wanted mechanical.
I was going to wait for the new frames to be released (a 6-9 month wait), but lucky for me Specialized did a Q1 release of a new Sagan edition frame which was very visually appealing to me.
I snagged it and put Campy Super Record mechanicals on there. Quite happy now
Likes For stuff shredman:
Old 08-24-20, 10:55 PM
mattscq

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
I think most of the differences between brands of equal calibre is probably marginal and you wouldn't really be able to tell the difference without A/B testing them side by side. I'm not competing so the marginal gains don't matter and I'm young/new enough that so far most things feel pretty comfortable for me so when it came/comes time for me to get a bike, why shouldn't I just go with what looks good and what I can afford?
Old 08-25-20, 06:36 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmyodonnell
1 -- On the first question of which bike, I'd get the 3rd option in the stated preferred color of RED, with Ultegra.
Ultegra's good enough for me at my current level, so there's a point of diminishing returns (for me) when contemplating top-quality features.
I realize the assumption built into the question is that money is not an object, but the top-end componentry isn't part of my dream-bike scenario.
So if the bike is the right color and the only compromise is that it has Ultegra, well that suits me.

2 -- Aesthetics don't matter over equipment, but once equipment standards are met then yes the aesthetic standard also has to be met.
Like Humbug says there are too many good looking options available to go with one you don;t like aesthetically.
Most realistically, I'd be wiling to WAIT for the combo I want . . . if I've waited this long, I can wait a few more months for what I want.

3 -- I use a saddlebag. It's the smallest option I can find that fits my roadside repair stuff. I bought a seatroll which would look cooler than the saddlebag but it doesn't work / doesn't fit as well as the bag . . . the aesthetic difference is minimal so I use the bag and it doesn't bother me on looks.

4 -- My kit doesn't necessarily match my bike colors but the kit pieces all matches each other well enough that the overall look works . . . ie, the kit color scheme doesn't look stupid against the look of the bike. Most of my riding clothes are by the same brand, so it's all kinda match-match even if the color accents are a little different . . . again, the overall look satisfies. One I got a "look" going, yeah the additional kit pieces I choose to buy tend to fit with what I already have. On this note, my helmet + shoes + gloves are all white + black . . . I credit my LBS salesman for this, he walked around the shop and pulled all the stuff so I bought all those basics first without even considering it, it all just worked.

5 -- Yes I do sometimes look at window reflections from time to time, not always. At first I was checking my posture and how my fit looks onboard . . . I'm generally happy with the look so yeah I do check it from time to time but it's not a priority.

6 -- As I upgrade parts on the bike, I've become aware of the matching aesthetics. I bought a wheel set with silver hubs to replace my stock wheels which had black hubs . . . I didn't really think about the black vs silver question when I bought the wheels . . . now, as I consider future upgrade on my crankset and chainrings, I have to decide on silver vs black. . . I'll probably go with silver so the lower part of the bike will be silver and the cockpit / upper part of the bike will remain black . . . I don't want or need to upgrade my stem, seat post or handlebars to silver, it will all look fine. I have a white saddle, so my bar tape is white and will probably always be white.

7 -- all my bibs are black, but some have a contrasting stripe on one of the leg cuffs / grippers . . . my jerseys that are the same brand as the bibs tend to match by default, like the OP it just worked that way. As I buy new jerseys yes I choose colors that will match with a couple of the bibs. They don't have to match perfectly, I dn;t have any match-match jerseys + bibs that I bought together specifically to match . . . the overall look works in any combo of the kit I currently have.

8 -- BEING HONEST, as Glenn implores in the OP, yes this stuff matters to me and my choices reflect that. I'm fairly new to cycling and I bought all my current apparel earlier this year in a couple large (pricey) purchases. But as Plainsman says in #6 , it matters "to a degree" . . . riding a bike isn't a fashion show, but again I reference Humbug's point in #8 stating that there's enough stuff out there to accommodate personal preferences without having to settle for stuff that has compromised appeal -- basically I apply this approach to both the apparel and the equipment selections. I bought a cool water bottle because I like the graphics and it looks great on the bike, not chosen consciously for that but probably subconsciously I was drawn to its look and it fits the rest of the look. I don't grab apparel off the sale rack at my LBS if it doesn't go with the look of my other stuff, I only have enough that I need for my riding frequency. Yes I would wear mismatched stuff from time to time if it''s all that I have clean, but I hand-wash my kit immediately after the ride so I don't ever run low on clean stuff.

9 -- EXTRA CREDIT (ok, there is no 9th question) . . . I had a hard time finding LOW SOCKS, and I don't like the current style of high socks. Thankfully the apparel brand I buy had low socks in the sale / clearance section so I solved that, I guess nobody else buys them. Low socks (for the consideration of the other 4 people who still wear them) tend to come now in only black or white, so when I found some I jumped on them.

SUMMARY (for anyone who's still awake) -- I tend to buy like this in other areas of my life, it simplifies things greatly for me . . . my jeans are all of the same brand, and my casual clothes, and my sneakers are all the same brand and style in different colors, and my outdoor wear / gear is usually from one brand . . . I'm not to the point of being neurotic about it but I just end up with fewer things that I use a lot rather than a lot of stuff that I don't use enough.
Finally, someone took(wasted)the time to answer all of the questions in the original award winning, rambling post that interestingly enough had nothing to do with vanity
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 08-25-20, 11:02 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
You start out by saying this and we all go, the force in strong in the paduwan:

Originally Posted by jimmyodonnell
2 -- Aonce equipment standards are met then yes the aesthetic standard also has to be met.
But then you follow it up with:

I use a saddlebag.
And a sudden silence befalls the room, like a too-loud fart in church. Then you dig your hole deeper by admitting....

My kit doesn't necessarily match my bike colors
At this point, people start shaking their head in disappointment.

but the kit pieces all matches each other well enough that the overall look works . . . ie, the kit color scheme doesn't look stupid against the look of the bike.
As I upgrade parts on the bike, I've become aware of the matching aesthetics. I bought a wheel set with silver hubs to replace my stock wheels which had black hubs
all my bibs are black, but some have a contrasting stripe on one of the leg cuffs / grippers . . . my jerseys that are the same brand as the bibs tend to match by default, like the OP it just worked that way. As I buy new jerseys yes I choose colors that will match with a couple of the bibs.
With that, you leave the door open for redemption down the road.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 08-25-20, 11:25 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Any dream bike is going to start with a custom made frame that can be "painted" (I actually prefer Cerakote.) however I want it to be. The rest will also be selected by me.
Old 08-25-20, 11:29 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by stuff shredman
In a tie, I'd pick performance over looks ... but am willing to wait to get both
This is pretty ugly, but it might perform well.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-25-20, 11:59 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
This is pretty ugly, but it might perform well.

I doubt it - looks super flappy and unaero.
Old 08-25-20, 12:42 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
SRAM etap rear derailleur looks like it has a malignant growth.
I wouldn't consider it because I don't have an interest in SRAM road, I dont have an interest in electronic shifting, and I dont have an interest in a goiter being attached to my rear derailleur.

So i guess its a mix of interest and vanity.
As for me having to buy a bike during a pandemic and having only the listed options, I'll buy the 3rd option. Ultegra Di2 is more than excellent for me and it has the wheels I want(I forget what they are from 4 pages ago). I won't miss the DA drivetrain with Ultegra and ill save money. Win win.
Old 08-25-20, 01:58 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
SRAM etap rear derailleur looks like it has a malignant growth.
Old 08-26-20, 02:35 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 547 Times in 307 Posts
Way back in the way back I bought my first mountain bike. My choices were a nice Charcoal or Pink... Pink was $50 cheaper, so I bought Pink! As long as it has Campagnolo gears on a road bike, I am OK with the color.

My current rides are an unpainted Lynskey and a black and white Ritchey Breakaway. Both have Campagnolo. So Carbon on a Ti Bike? It works great, therefore it looks great.

The Lynskey is EPS and I keep the wires in place with a combination of Velcro loops and clear vinyl tape. Classy!

I wear mismatched kit and Sidi mountain bike shoes, because they can be walked in and I want to use the same shoes on the touring tandem and the road bike.

OK, the tandem is Orange white and blue because that is what it came in. The panniers are red because that's what the LBS had in the brand I wanted.
Old 08-26-20, 03:25 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts

I'm all about the colors, just wished I'd noticed that the Ailerons could be ordered in blue. I looked for a cross bike for a while but just couldn't find one with true cross geometry and my color so went custom and glad I did.
Right now I'm avoiding sram and shimano and sticking with Campy for road. I think there's something wrong with the fact that the parts are so much cheaper in Europe then they are in the US, so much so that both banned companies from shipping to the US. I get Campy being cheaper there, its a European company and so they're importing from their manufacturing base and importing costs. I can't believe that the import difference between the US and Europe is twice as much that we pay that much more especially with Sram being a US company, don't like being ripped off. Also buying box components for MTB. I also think Campy is better but with the restrictions Shimano and Sram have created it's cheaper.
Old 08-26-20, 03:41 PM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Finally, someone took(wasted)the time to answer all of the questions in the original award winning, rambling post that interestingly enough had nothing to do with vanity
I think question 5 re: shopwindows touches upon vanity, although it's not entirely about vanity.
And the OP's general inquiry weighing function + aesthetics also regards vanity to some degree.

aesthetics and vanity aren't the same thing but they surely can relate to each other
Old 08-26-20, 04:52 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,899 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Some of you are missing some details.
Nobody wants to play by the rules!

This is assumed during a pandemic when there are no a lot of bikes available.

Say your bike was stolen and you have none. The only bikes you can get are the 3 I listed... pick and why?

Not, I buy my own frames and build them myself. Or I just order what I want...

Are looks more important than function?
They're both sliding scales, so it's not easy to give a hard-and-fast answer. But I would take an ugly bike with Dura Ace over a pretty bike with Tiagra.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: