Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Identify this Peugeot?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Identify this Peugeot?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-20, 07:37 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Identify this Peugeot?

This is not my bike or my picture--a friend of mine wonders what it, but I'm stumped. It doesn't have the UO-8 aztec lugs. The stamped dropouts and absence of chrome on the rear stays suggest that it's a model that doesn't start with a P. But the cotterless Stronglight crank (a 49d, it looks like) is probably original, because who would make that upgrade on such a frame? Bar-end shifters are Suntour, as is (I think) the rear derailleur. I can't tell from the photo whether those are tubular tires, but the rims don't look to be steel. Saddle is said to be an Ideale 80.
"Sure," I said, "send me a couple of photos, I can probably tell what it is." What a dope!

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash

Last edited by jonwvara; 08-31-20 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-31-20, 07:47 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
-----

certainly appears a UO8 which has been the subject of frankening

there were some machines produced which had "the aztec head lugs without the cutouts"

sounds wacky i know, but they exist

-----

Last edited by juvela; 08-31-20 at 08:15 PM. Reason: addition
Old 08-31-20, 09:02 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Based on DT pump peg position and the TT cable stops I'm guessing it's in the PX -8 or PX-50 wheelhouse and this is an EU market bike, not US. Lots of them made it over here thanks to our servicemembers traveling int'l. Most likely a PX-50 IMO.

Are there provisions under the DT for light cables? Any tab on the rear NDS seat stay for trelock or generator?

Likes For francophile: