Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Universal Flashlight/Torch Mount For Broken L & M Headlight

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-20, 04:36 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts

No comment on the L&M customer service...

My L & M Urban 800 mounting piece busted off rendering the light as handheld-only. In other words completely useless for cycling with both hands on the bars.

It's not a perfect cylinder - 3cm dia on the lighted end, slightly narrower on the other end.

It's not as well designed as my Niteriders - I actually bought it for the amber side-lights feature.

Before putting it into my camping heap, does anyone know of a universal flashlight/torch mount that can accommodate this light without being an overpriced piece of plastic.

Thanks in advance!

PS: NEW MESSAGE FROM L & M:Triston (Light & Motion)

Sep 9, 2020, 11:59 PDT

Hey Michael,

Sorry for the confusion but it looks like we overlooked that fact that your light that broke was an older model that had a design flaw in the mount mold. We have since fixed this issue and would like to replace your light with an upgraded version at no cost.

Because we have since updated the design and power of the Urban 800, you will receive a code below worth the value of our Vis Pro 1000 Trail.
https://lightandmotion.com/products/...3f720aac&_ss=r

Please use the information below to order a new light at no cost, with free standard shipping. This is also an excellent opportunity to upgrade so please feel free to view all of our products.

I would recommend the Seca COMP!
https://lightandmotion.com/collectio...seca-comp-1500
  • Visit the Light & Motion website, lightandmotion.com
  • Avoid logging into a customer account (if you already have one)
  • Add your items to the cart, and in the checkout window, type or paste the case-sensitive code XXXXXXX into the discount code box, then click the 'apply coupon' button. A $134.99 credit will be applied to the entire order. This is a one-time-use code so make it count!
  • In order to maintain the safest working environment for our employees, we are not accepting products for recycling at this time. At your discretion, please discard your light at a local business that processes electronic waste (e-waste). Thank you for your understanding.
Your code is good for 14 days
Free shipping carrier services will be delivered via USPS

Enjoy!

Triston

Last edited by michaelm101; 09-11-20 at 05:30 PM. Reason: New info
Old 08-31-20, 05:50 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yeah, the mount is the weak point of the L&M Urban lights. I got a TwoFish mount to replace my cracked L&M mount. Works well. The only thing missing is the ability to pivot the light sideways. Not a big deal.

I kept hoping L&M would develop a better two LED/wide beam light than the Taz, which got mediocre reviews including for the inadequate mount. But I switched to NiteRider and have been satisfied. The NiteRider Lumina Dual 1800 has been excellent on my summertime night rides on rural routes after the heat cools down a bit. The beefed up mount is secure but a bit of a PITA to set up. A bit heavy and bulky but performs as claimed.

I also have a single LED Micro 850, a good light for commuting and errands. Doesn't last long per charge and dims gradually with use, but good for the intended purpose.
Old 08-31-20, 06:47 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Originally Posted by canklecat
Yeah, the mount is the weak point of the L&M Urban lights. I got a TwoFish mount to replace my cracked L&M mount. Works well. The only thing missing is the ability to pivot the light sideways. Not a big deal.

I kept hoping L&M would develop a better two LED/wide beam light than the Taz, which got mediocre reviews including for the inadequate mount. But I switched to NiteRider and have been satisfied. The NiteRider Lumina Dual 1800 has been excellent on my summertime night rides on rural routes after the heat cools down a bit. The beefed up mount is secure but a bit of a PITA to set up. A bit heavy and bulky but performs as claimed.

I also have a single LED Micro 850, a good light for commuting and errands. Doesn't last long per charge and dims gradually with use, but good for the intended purpose.
Thx. I've been eying that Dual 1800, and also the Micro 850s. I currently own two Lumina 750s. Do you think the micro versions have less run time due to having a smaller battery?
Old 08-31-20, 11:10 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by michaelm101
Thx. I've been eying that Dual 1800, and also the Micro 850s. I currently own two Lumina 750s. Do you think the micro versions have less run time due to having a smaller battery?
Yup, it's just the smaller battery on the Micro 850. I usually run it on low or medium. It'll last long enough for my 1-2 hour nighttime rides. But it's mainly suited to commuting and errands.

The Light & Motion Rando 500 was a bit of an improvement over the Urban 500. Mostly they added some circuitry in the light or USB cord (or both) to enable simultaneously charging and running, although only at low power. I tried that a few times but it was as heavy and bulky as a larger light without the convenience.

The NiteRider Lumina Dual 1800 is terrific and a great value. It lights up rural roads edge to edge I can see deer and other critters sooner. Very helpful for my harder workout rides at night when it's cooler. Besides the dual side by side LEDs it also has a lens designed more like a motor vehicle headlight for even distribution and to aim most of the beam at the road rather than spraying light in a circle. It has a small hood like other NiteRiders, which seems to help a bit. I've watched the beam pattern carefully on a few nighttime rides on the MUP and can see the beam isn't spilling over the top into the eyes of oncoming pedestrians and cyclists.

I'm also considering adding an Outbound light to my main hybrid for errands and group rides, since I use that bike more often at night. The Outbound light has a clever design and the price has decreased a bit, despite the pandemic economic pressures and small operation (I think it's a two-person operation).
Old 09-01-20, 09:44 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Have you tried doing an Ebay seearch for flashlight handlebar mount?

Wide variety of generic mounts, it would be up to you to find one the right size for your light. In left hand column you can limit search to vendors in North America to get much faster shipping than you would get from overseas.

With Covid and the trade war, shipping from Asia can be quite erratic for how long it takes for things to arrive in USA. I used to assume a month but now sometimes shipping takes much longer than a month when I order things from Asia.
Old 09-01-20, 12:04 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I have the Barfly mount with the go pro flashlight mount - it works very well
Old 09-03-20, 06:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
'Twofish' used a rubber block with 2 Velcro straps you pull up tight, at right angles to each other,,
https://twofish.biz/ carried by other wholesalers like QBP
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 09-04-20, 12:56 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Have you tried contacting Light & Motion? They have pretty good customer support, you might be able to just get a new mount piece in the mail.
Old 09-11-20, 01:40 PM
michaelm101

Originally Posted by gsa103
Have you tried contacting Light & Motion? They have pretty good customer support, you might be able to just get a new mount piece in the mail.
Their first/initial message told me I could get it repaired for around 65.00 and I'd be paying shipping both ways ---Then days later, I got this message that made me happy:Triston (Light & Motion)

Sep 9, 2020, 11:59 PDT

Hey Michael,

Sorry for the confusion but it looks like we overlooked that fact that your light that broke was an older model that had a design flaw in the mount mold. We have since fixed this issue and would like to replace your light with an upgraded version at no cost.

Because we have since updated the design and power of the Urban 800, you will receive a code below worth the value of our Vis Pro 1000 Trail.
https://lightandmotion.com/products/...3f720aac&_ss=r

Please use the information below to order a new light at no cost, with free standard shipping. This is also an excellent opportunity to upgrade so please feel free to view all of our products.

I would recommend the Seca COMP!
https://lightandmotion.com/collectio...seca-comp-1500
  • Visit the Light & Motion website, lightandmotion.com
  • Avoid logging into a customer account (if you already have one)
  • Add your items to the cart, and in the checkout window, type or paste the case-sensitive code XXXXXXXX into the discount code box, then click the 'apply coupon' button. A $134.99 credit will be applied to the entire order. This is a one-time-use code so make it count!
  • In order to maintain the safest working environment for our employees, we are not accepting products for recycling at this time. At your discretion, please discard your light at a local business that processes electronic waste (e-waste). Thank you for your understanding.
Your code is good for 14 days
Free shipping carrier services will be delivered via USPS

Enjoy!

Triston

Last edited by michaelm101; 09-11-20 at 05:31 PM.
Likes For michaelm101: