Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Need some clarification...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-20, 10:35 PM
snoogins70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need some clarification...

So I have a Bianchi Cavaria D2 that I was using as my road bike. This bike was wearing Campy Record 11 stuff, and it has served me well for the past two seasons. Well I just picked up a Litespeed Sabre and I'll be using THAT as my road bike from now on, so the Campy stuff got moved over to IT. Now I want to build up the Bianchi into a true gravel bike BUT, I'm finding it difficult to source a 1X drive train that has mechanical brakes. I'll be keeping the cantilever brakes that are on the frame at the moment, but I can't fing a !x groupset out there that's NOT got hydro brakes. Now my question is, will Ultegra mechanical 11 speed brifters work with a Shimano 11 speed GRX rear mech?
Old 09-03-20, 12:25 AM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Yes, 11-speed GRX derailleurs use the same cable pull as all Shimano 11-speed road derailleurs, so they're compatible with all of the 11-speed road shifters.

If you really don't want a left-side lever designed for shifting, it looks like Gevenalle has their 1x11 "brifters" with road brake cable pull in stock right now, although obviously that's a very different type of shifter. Alternately, you could use brake levers and a bar-end shifter.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 09-03-20, 07:46 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Just buy some 105 or Ultegra shifters and dont use the left paddles for shifting. 5800, 6800, r7000, r8000 - you have 4 groups to choose from for new/takeoff as they all shift 11 speed.

Or look up how to modify the left shifter so it operates a dropper post.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 09-03-20, 07:30 PM
zen_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
SRAM Apex 1 and Sensah SRX Pro are both available in 1x11 drivetrains with mechanical brakes, in addition to just using 2x11 Shimano setups as 1x11 already mentioned.
Likes For zen_: