Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 09-01-20, 06:56 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
Recovery week this week. Although I’m riding 100miles on Saturday lol but I’ll take Sunday and Monday off so I’ll be recovered for the next block. I tried best bike split for the first time today because I was curious to see how I could get around 5hrs (I’ve been 5:15-5.5hrs on the same course). According to the algorithm I’d have to average 213w and have a NP of 217 (.75 IF) to get 4:50. I’m usually around 200w NP for this course so I’ll have to focus more on staying in the upper range of z2 to try and pull this off. Just wish I had a friend with aero wheels I could borrow for the effort lol
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 09-03-20, 07:32 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
The old Stages on the road bike has really lost its mind. Last night I rolled around the neighborhood. Route was winding and a hair over 90ft elevation per mile.

I hit 20mph for the ride. I wanted all the stop lights to go red to chill, but they all stayed green. That helped.

Still, the Stages said 205w AP to go 20mph for 90+ ft of elevation per mile. That's horse doo doo.

I know my left/right balance isn't ideal looking at the Quarq on my TT bike, but still. This is getting annoying. Perhaps a Christmas present idea.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 09-03-20, 08:40 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
Our gym is open and I are back at it. This is much better than home workouts or that other intensity studio.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 09-03-20, 10:02 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Neat.

I just mailed a certified letter to my gym which reopened yesterday.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 09-03-20, 10:58 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
A few days in Yosemite with the family. I thought we might be out of the smoke, but the wind just pushed it into the valley and held it there. We did a few mellow bike rides and walks but the big day was Monday when we hiked up to Glacier Point from the valley floor. That wasn't so bad, but the shuttles were not running due to COVID, so we had to walk down. Kids did great. My daughter got a pretty decent blister but she was pretty nonchalant about it. "Dad, can I have a safety pin?" (knowing that I always have a ton of them in my backpack from races.)
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-03-20, 11:41 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
This week has probably been my first consistent week of 'hard' rides. I've been putting off since I came back from my sickness, but my weight has been creeping up, now its going back down.

My Zwift hasn't been working, I've spent roughly 4 hours trying everything, but nada. AppleTV can diaf.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 09-03-20, 12:42 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by furiousferret
This week has probably been my first consistent week of 'hard' rides. I've been putting off since I came back from my sickness, but my weight has been creeping up, now its going back down.

My Zwift hasn't been working, I've spent roughly 4 hours trying everything, but nada. AppleTV can diaf.
I originally used AppleTV but I hated the remote and couldn't use the workouts I created in Training Peaks. I discovered it works better to use an iPad with an adapter cable to HDMI to the TV.
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-03-20, 01:05 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I spend more time looking up internet slang than people could possibly spend typing stuff out!

Every time I think I'm missing the boat by not using some higher form of tech in my cycling I read something like this and feel validated.
Old 09-03-20, 03:54 PM
caloso

Has anyone on here tried intermittent fasting? I'm intrigued by the 16/8 method, which really doesn't seem like fasting, you're just limiting yourself to eating within an 8 hour window of time.
Old 09-03-20, 06:02 PM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Has anyone on here tried intermittent fasting? I'm intrigued by the 16/8 method, which really doesn't seem like fasting, you're just limiting yourself to eating within an 8 hour window of time.
I tried 17/7 for a week or two, but the timing was bad as life was particularly stressful just then. It made me cranky and anxious.
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 09-03-20, 06:46 PM
caloso

Originally Posted by wktmeow
I tried 17/7 for a week or two, but the timing was bad as life was particularly stressful just then. It made me cranky and anxious.
That's a concern. I am thinking I'm finally coming into a period at work where things should be pretty regular.
Old 09-04-20, 02:18 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Tried it. My experience was that if you've got pounds to lose, it's really good. Once I lost the more excess pounds I found that I was plateauing and I couldn't just eat whatever. I don't think my metabolism is great in any case, and I'm 44, so to keep lean I have to essentially count calories.
Likes For Yep:
Old 09-04-20, 07:38 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I also tried the intermittent fasting. Mostly focusing on 16-18 hour gaps - stop eating by 7 pm, don't eat again until 10 or 11 the next day. I lost a few pounds. Kept it up for about a year or so. Really, I didn't see much benefit though.

Once I got my whoop, I started tracking my fasting, and it actually turns out my recovery score falls when I fast, so I have kind of stopped doing it.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 09-04-20, 10:12 AM
caloso

Originally Posted by Yep
Tried it. My experience was that if you've got pounds to lose, it's really good. Once I lost the more excess pounds I found that I was plateauing and I couldn't just eat whatever. I don't think my metabolism is great in any case, and I'm 44, so to keep lean I have to essentially count calories.
Thanks. I'm mostly concerned with losing the 10 lbs I put on since the pandemic started. My riding hours and TSB is going up now that I have finally gotten a more regular schedule, but the poundage isn't budging. I rode for 90 min unstructured this morning, mostly z1 and z2. I don't think I could do much intensity in the mornings. 3 hours to go and actually feel pretty good.
Old 09-04-20, 10:35 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Yeah. I've been doing it pretty consistently since March and have lost 14 lbs (I got about 18 lbs over race weight at one point). I tend not to do it before a Saturday (or longer) ride, but the rest of the time it's gone pretty well. I'm been really happy with it and don't feel hungry all the time like I have in the past when I tried losing weight.

I've found that eating dinner at 4ish and then not eating again until 8 am has been the easiest for my schedule. Allows for a 45 - 1 hour ride around 5:30, then the drive to work, and then eat once I'm there.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 09-04-20, 10:51 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I've eaten that way, normally, for years. I never eat in the morning unless I'm racing, and then it's usually just a bar or two depending on the duration the races. These days I've been hiking more than anything else, and it's not uncommon for me to start in the dark and not eat or drink anything until lunch time.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 09-04-20, 03:15 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I've eaten that way, normally, for years. I never eat in the morning unless I'm racing, and then it's usually just a bar or two depending on the duration the races. These days I've been hiking more than anything else, and it's not uncommon for me to start in the dark and not eat or drink anything until lunch time.
That's badass. Ever have to fight a bear?
Old 09-04-20, 04:34 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
That's badass. Ever have to fight a bear?
The word is out in the bear community and they avoid him.
Old 09-05-20, 12:23 PM
hubcyclist

Recovery week lol

Old 09-06-20, 07:09 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
2hrs tempo on cross bike by HR. Battery died in the meter.

First ride on the tubeless setup. A whole mph faster on my old gravel route. Including crap conditions. They laid a ton of new loose stuff, so couldn’t get too wild. It definitely saved a pinch flat today already.

Too bad cross was cancelled, a mph faster without even pushing it would be Yuge, bigly.
Old 09-07-20, 04:03 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Thanks. I'm mostly concerned with losing the 10 lbs I put on since the pandemic started. My riding hours and TSB is going up now that I have finally gotten a more regular schedule, but the poundage isn't budging. I rode for 90 min unstructured this morning, mostly z1 and z2. I don't think I could do much intensity in the mornings. 3 hours to go and actually feel pretty good.
On days where I rode in the morning, I'd fuel beforehand. rubiksoval 's point about adjusting the "feeding window" is a good one. I did a 12-9 or 11-7, but earlier is probably better. I would have spent less time feeling hungry before that first meal and been perfectly able to fuel for mid morning or afternoon rides without cheating.
Old 09-07-20, 10:07 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
I capped a hard training week off on Saturday with a long-ish endurance ride that had one nasty effort in the middle. It's a climb about 40 miles from my place that's the hardest paved climb I've ever done. I held the KOM on it for a bit, but it was taken by a guy that drove out to the climb, hammered it twice, then drove home. Dude is a fast rider, but the principle of the thing got to me.

I rode out and took the KOM back with a time of 13:47 and a VAM of 1522. My avg HR for the climb was only 158 BPM, so I know my body wasn't exactly rested for the effort.

Yesterday and today off the bike, a few short spikey efforts tomorrow, Z2 ride on Wednesday, then gravel race Saturday.
Old 09-07-20, 10:22 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8184 Post(s)
Liked 8,842 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
e. I held the KOM on it for a bit, but it was taken by a guy that drove out to the climb, hammered it twice, then drove home. Dude is a fast rider, but the principle of the thing got to me.
Eff that guy.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-07-20, 03:31 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
9.5hrs, 150 miles, 8150ft of climbing, about 600 TSS, and 5000 kilojoules in the last 5 days. Trying to do a build of sorts...

I'm on call tomorrow so I'm just going to do some yoga in the morning.

Post call on Weds. Planning to do another ramp test on the kickr, then maybe some SST intervals depending on the weather.

I've been debating moving my cleats back since I first read Friel talking about it when I was in college. Finally did it last week. My knees feel way better already. Didn't really hurt my jump either, since I tested it out at the end of a hard ride and hit 1450 peak.

The kickr and zwift are going to be game changers. I'm going to look back thru my training log from college and start programming some workouts into zwift for erg mode as well. My goal for this calendar year is to ramp test at the FTP I had when I started my racing season in college (240W) and then next year I want to hit the spot I ended up (270W).

I'm about 10-15 lbs heavier now at 165 vs 148-152 in college. I'm hoping to drop down to 155-160 by the spring. Wheee!

I finally got an hrm as well so it's going to be interesting trying to make sense of all these numbers.

Edit:
My TSS numbers are probably nonsense because I'm so anaerobic. Attacking hills throws the NP way off since I can recover pretty well ish.

Last edited by ridethecliche; 09-07-20 at 03:35 PM.
Likes For ridethecliche:
Old 09-08-20, 06:00 AM
hubcyclist

It took so much willpower not to ride Sunday or most of Monday (I did get in 60mins with my 9y/o), the weather was perfect and the legs were good too. But I did my century ride on Saturday and didn't want to overdo it in advance of the training phase I'm starting today. It's kind of ridiculous because I'm just training for the sake of training with no CX races, but I want to get the most out of myself in the leadup to what'll hopefully be a better 2021. Otherwise I should have tried to do back to back centuries lol, although there's only one person I know of that just goes out and does back to back 100 mile days like it's nothing (tkp you know who I'm talking about)

Anyhow, ramp test today which I'm sure I'll underachieve on and will either keep myself at 290 or try bumping myself to 295

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.