Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Who is oldschoolbike?

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Who is oldschoolbike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-18, 01:43 PM
oldschoolbike

Bikes: 1974 PX-10E sold, 1977 Witcomb stolen, 1980 Roberts 1 speed, 1987 Cyclops 3 x 6 friction triple crank, 2010 Masi Commuter 1 speed, 2017 Ribble 525 2 x 10 with Ergos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Who is oldschoolbike?

I was born in Quebec, grew up in New Brunswick, and work(ed) in Ontario. I taught university Physics for a time, but mostly have worked in micro-electronics and photonics as a lab scientist. After a time racing in the seventies, I never hung up the bike and have been commuting, touring, hard-riding, and endurance riding ever since. I have an old-school single speed lightweight and an old school road bike, and a modern single speed commuter and a modern road bike, all four of them steel and with not a single Shimano part to be found among them. I do have some carbon fibre and even some titanium in the shed, so the Shimano thing is my my only "religion".
In the winter I tend to dive deeply into technical details and obsess about getting the bikes just right, and when spring comes I forget all that and just ride. Despite my alias, I do think that modern bikes are much better than pre-eighties bikes, and I can argue that most advances of the last thirty years are valuable. It's just that most new bikes lack the road feel a bike should have, and some modern componentry is obviously not meant to last. The way forward is to understand what you want and be prepared to figure out how to get it, and not just assume that more expensive is better. https://www.pinterest.ca/boliver523/...fted-bicycles/
Old 12-27-18, 03:33 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,735 Times in 2,758 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums, oldschoolbike! Interesting and well thought out introduction. Thank you for that.
Old 12-27-18, 03:34 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Welcome! I have a soft spot for Quebec. VIsited once. (I had an aunt and uncle I loved there.) Montreal several times. Got my introducton to the idea I could race on a club ride with the Cyclotouriste Club de Quebec (sp) when I did as the club president told me to do the night before - trounced everyone going up the big hill.

As for bikes - I am not religious. But I do feel that the racing bike, that apparatus that does better at extracting everything a human can produce better than just about anything else ever invented, reached that apex decades ago. Very little has changed in that respect in the 40 years since my hardest race. The new bikes cannot extract anymore than my old Fuji did. Yes, they go faster. Yes the shifting is easier and you don't have to sit down to do it. So that 3 hours and 58 minutes that took me days to recover from would have ended probably 12 minutes sooner.

Now there I a couple of more recent changes that I love and will not go back on. Both of them I wanted when I raced. The top-mounted DT shifters that I would not hit with my knees when I clibed walls. Aero brake levers that would allow me to place my hands over the hood tops. I dreamed about doing that while riding my solo 100+ mile training rides in 1977. But brifters? Yes, if I raced now, I'd need them. But I don't race and I both don't need them or want them.

My real love - riding the road on fix gears. My club's vets said I needed to set up my second bike fixed to learn better pedaling style. Fell in love first ride (despite trying to coast and crashing). I'm still in love with those things. Own three and will get on one for about 30 miles as soon as I post this.

And materials - I haven't gone carbon and it may be along time before I do. Steel works for my on several levels. I love titanium and have since I did a short spin on a Merlin MTB almost 30 years ago. I have two ti customs including the fix gear I am about to jump on. Both have steel forks. Both have rides I love. Yes, big, fast descents would be better if I went 1 1/8" but I wold be sacrificing the quills I love. I ride clinchers. They are good, acceptable in price and easy but I long for the security of solidly glued tires every time I do a very fast descent. I may well go back to sewups, probably long before I go carbon.

oldschoolbike - 79pmooney. We might be cut from similar cloth.

Ben
Old 12-27-18, 03:58 PM
bikingbill

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 26, Brompton

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Funny, I raced in the 1970's too ... taught physics lab in graduate school ... ended up in the video game business but recently took a job as a researcher for a product company in Los Angeles.
Old 12-27-18, 04:31 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Welcome!
Originally Posted by oldschoolbike
I was born in Quebec, grew up in New Brunswick, and work(ed) in Ontario. I taught university Physics for a time, but mostly have worked in micro-electronics and photonics as a lab scientist. After a time racing in the seventies, I never hung up the bike and have been commuting, touring, hard-riding, and endurance riding ever since.
Originally Posted by bikingbill
Funny, I raced in the 1970's too ... taught physics lab in graduate school ... ended up in the video game business but recently took a job as a researcher for a product company in Los Angeles.
Never raced. Majored in Physics. Taught undergrads when I was in the graduate school. Doing bioinformatics now.
Old 12-27-18, 05:30 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I was born in Quebec, grew up in New Brunswick, and work(ed) in Ontario. I taught university Physics for a time, but mostly have worked in micro-electronics and photonics as a lab scientist. After a time racing in the seventies, I never hung up the bike and have been commuting, touring, hard-riding, and endurance riding ever since. I have an old-school single speed lightweight and an old school road bike, and a modern single speed commuter and a modern road bike, all four of them steel and with not a single Shimano part to be found among them. I do have some carbon fibre and even some titanium in the shed, so the Shimano thing is my my only "religion".
In the winter I tend to dive deeply into technical details and obsess about getting the bikes just right, and when spring comes I forget all that and just ride. Despite my alias, I do think that modern bikes are much better than pre-eighties bikes, and I can argue that most advances of the last thirty years are valuable. It's just that most new bikes lack the road feel a bike should have, and some modern componentry is obviously not meant to last. The way forward is to understand what you want and be prepared to figure out how to get it, and not just assume that more expensive is better. https://www.pinterest.ca/boliver523/...fted-bicycles/
Soyez le bienvenue aux bike forums.

I agree with much of what you wrote. You should spend some time on the classic and vintage forum where you will find a lot of like minded people (of course it may be a bit of an information bubble, .

I raced in the 80s and early 90s and I still like and ride steel bikes.
Old 12-27-18, 05:46 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Welcome to the forums.
Old 12-27-18, 08:12 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,568 Times in 3,766 Posts
Welcome
Old 12-27-18, 08:14 PM
Leukybear 
THE STUFFED

Bikes: R. Sachs Road; EAI Bareknuckle; S-Works Enduro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Excellent thread title by the way!

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Pound sign: Kilo TT
Old 12-29-18, 10:08 AM
schain

Bikes: Vintage Cannondale road bike. Their very first model and a nearly as old mountain bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome! I'm very much old school also but for different reasons.
Old 12-29-18, 12:19 PM
oldschoolbike

Bikes: 1974 PX-10E sold, 1977 Witcomb stolen, 1980 Roberts 1 speed, 1987 Cyclops 3 x 6 friction triple crank, 2010 Masi Commuter 1 speed, 2017 Ribble 525 2 x 10 with Ergos

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Thanks for all the welcomes.

I am surprised nobody commented on the no Shimano thing. Are there more Shimano-avoidists out there among the non-racing crowd than I thought?
Old 01-04-19, 06:21 PM
bikingbill

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 26, Brompton

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
1976, working for Bikecentennial.

Old 01-07-19, 04:56 PM
amberdaisy

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome!
Old 01-08-19, 10:31 PM
sephil

Bikes: 84 Zunow Pantagla, 04 Specialized Sirius

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bienvenue! Aussi Québécois mais je roule sur un vintage steal bike à Tokyo!
Old 01-09-19, 03:55 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Thanks for all the welcomes.

I am surprised nobody commented on the no Shimano thing. Are there more Shimano-avoidists out there among the non-racing crowd than I thought?
Welcome.

There are possibly a few ShimaNo people around the vintage cycling scene;... but we can't answer without knowing how many you thought there are.

I worked in semiconductors in the 70s, last electronics job was in optical routers. Not as a scientist/researcher. Somebody had to sell the stuff, back when selling was fun.