Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Are European bikes worth it?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 02-02-20, 02:15 PM
The_NinthWave

Bikes: Raleigh Carlton (commuter, all-rounder) || Xprezo Wuuu 2011 (XC) || Poliquin Randonnée 90 (ongoing process) || CCM Nevada (winter commuter)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I am looking to upgrade from an old CCM Nevada (200 CD$) winter commuter to something more to my taste.

I find that the European bikes are way more expensives that their North American counterpart.
  • Is it that the Euro is a high value currency?
  • Is it that the Germans build their own bikes while North American contract to China?
  • Is it that the European bikes are way better ?
I am not well versed in components so it's hard for me to quickly compare wheelsets or headsets or cranksets or... so I cannot assess the differences. Any comment on that.

Here are a few contenders.
Marin Presidio 3 2020: 1025 U$ www.marinbikes.com/bikes/20-presidio-3
Breezer Beltway 11+ : 1800 U$ https://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes/tr...way-11-plus-us
BMC Alpenchallenge AC01 One : 2300 U$ https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/alpen...ne-301790.html
Tout Terrain Metropolitan : 2600$ U$ tout-terrain.de/en/the-products/trekking/439/metropolitan

For what it is worth, I am commuting 44km RT (30mi) all-season, south shore of Montreal where the roads are supposedly paved but a real shame. Lots of potholes, shoulders that may be destroyed or lacking asphalt, lots of salt.... I am a heavy rider around 95kg (200lb).

Thank you for your input.

NOTE: Sorry, I cannot post URL since it's not my 11th post yet.
Old 02-03-20, 08:29 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
IDK, but I have a German Canyon, and its a great value - albeit they aim for the high end of the market. For cheap stuff, china dominates. Something like Giant or even Bikes Direct have decent stuff if not the latest bells, whistles, fads.
Old 02-03-20, 04:57 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
Great bikes if you like the practical details that sometimes seem to be lacking on American commuter bikes. But one brand is a high-end German manufacturer and the other is Swiss (a.k.a. expensive but high quality).

How does that compare to the other two American manufacturers?
Old 02-04-20, 07:06 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
You Should Take This Discussion to the C&V

There are a lot of European bikes over there to discuss. Many of them quite fine. Some are simply run-of-the-mill. Italians, English, French, Dutch, Austrian, a few Spanish or Swiss.
Old 02-04-20, 11:28 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
There's nothing inherently special about European bikes. Some are really great I am sure; I have a pretty entry-level Ridley CX bike I love. I am not sure I would have bought it new though.

If you're looking at purchasing a new bike for commuting think about the things which are important to you and work backwards, never start with a brand name.
Old 02-04-20, 11:29 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
There are a lot of European bikes over there to discuss. Many of them quite fine. Some are simply run-of-the-mill. Italians, English, French, Dutch, Austrian, a few Spanish or Swiss.
But.... but... but... I like looking cool at pre-race coffee with my buddies? **JK**
Old 02-04-20, 11:30 AM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Originally Posted by chas58
IDK, but I have a German Canyon, and its a great value - albeit they aim for the high end of the market. For cheap stuff, china dominates. Something like Giant or even Bikes Direct have decent stuff if not the latest bells, whistles, fads.
I think all brand names are pretty awesome at the top end of the spectrum but Canyon, for sure, is doing some pretty cool **** right now

Last edited by cb400bill; 02-05-20 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Do not change the spelling of words to bypass forum censor
Old 02-05-20, 04:48 AM
The_NinthWave

Bikes: Raleigh Carlton (commuter, all-rounder) || Xprezo Wuuu 2011 (XC) || Poliquin Randonnée 90 (ongoing process) || CCM Nevada (winter commuter)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by davei1980
If you're looking at purchasing a new bike for commuting think about the things which are important to you and work backwards, never start with a brand name.
That's exactly what I did. I would like a bike with CDX carbon and Alfine 11, but in North America, there are very few brands/models. When I finally find a model with those, it also comes with two short fenders, a dynamo and headlight, a stand (Marin Presidio 4 DLX). ...

If I find an European bike with a CDX and Alfine 11, lets say the basic Tout Terrain Metropolitan, it has just what I want but at 2X the price of an North American bike. Hence my question: are they worth it?

If anyone can testify he had in his life an American (chinese) and an European bike, lets say @Archwhorides, and tells me the European bike is way more comfortable or rust resistant (paint job) or whatever....I might be convinced to go this way.

Last edited by The_NinthWave; 02-15-20 at 10:24 PM. Reason: just typos
Old 02-05-20, 04:57 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Originally Posted by The_NinthWave
it has just what I want but at 2X the price of an North American bike. .
Easier to give you an opinion if you include exactly which NA bikes you are considering.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 02-05-20, 06:22 AM
The_NinthWave

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Easier to give you an opinion if you include exactly which NA bikes you are considering.
I am looking to upgrade from an old CCM Nevada (200 CD$) winter commuter to something more to my taste.

Here are a few contenders.
North American Marin Presidio 3 2020: 1025 U$ www.marinbikes.com/bikes/20-presidio-3
North American Breezer Beltway 11+ : 1800 U$ https://www.breezerbikes.com/bikes/tr...way-11-plus-us
BMC Alpenchallenge AC01 One : 2300 U$ https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/alpen...ne-301790.html
Tout Terrain Metropolitan : 2600$ U$ tout-terrain.de/en/the-products/trekking/439/metropolitan
The Presidio 3 has Gates CDN while Presidio 4 DLX has CDX, racks, fenders, carbon fork, dynamo, lights but it is 2350$ instead of 1025$

The Breezer Beltway has gates CDX.
Old 02-05-20, 05:33 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
......If anyone can testify he had in his life an American (chinese) and an European bike, lets say @Archwhorides, and tells me the European bike is way more comfortable or rust resistant (paint job) or whatever....I might be convinced to go this way.
OK I'll bite here:

Breezer Beltway vs. BMC AC01:
  • Beltway: Heavier by a number of pounds, longer wheelbase (stable and more dull-feeling), more practical with bosses and plenty of clearances for racks, fenders and studded tires, decent Alfine components
  • AC01: Light and lively, with hydroformed aluminum frame with gorgeous matte finish in a very compact and sexy geometry, lacks bosses and conventional clearances for racks and fenders (you'll have to get the proprietary BMC/Curano fenders and jury-rig your rack mount), decent Alfine components.
I have been a little disappointed by some of the OEM parts on the BMC, particularly the very generic eccentric bottom bracket, which I had to painfully replace with a higher quality Bushnell eccentric bracket. The BMC OEM parts are not poorer quality than the Breezer parts, but for the increased price-point one might expect more. This being said, I have ridden the BMC year around and it has held up to all abuse (except that cheap bottom bracket), and is such a pleasure to ride that I would buy it again. On the other hand, the Breezer got me quite reliably where I needed to go and without fanfare; I liked it a lot, but never was in love with it.

BTW, Priority out of NYC makes a nice line of bikes similar to the Breezers and potentially for a lesser price-point. I had their 600 Pinion-geared bike and it was a very reliable (if not playful) ride.

Last edited by Archwhorides; 02-05-20 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-05-20, 06:56 PM
The_NinthWave

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
[...] This being said, I have ridden the BMC year around and it has held up to all abuse (except that cheap bottom bracket), and is such a pleasure to ride that I would buy it again. On the other hand, the Breezer got me quite reliably where I needed to go and without fanfare; I liked it a lot, but never was in love with it.

BTW, Priority out of NYC makes a nice line of bikes similar to the Breezers and potentially for a lesser price-point. I had their 600 Pinion-geared bike and it was a very reliable (if not playful) ride.
Damn, you have had a lot of nice bikes.
Old 02-05-20, 08:56 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 63 Posts
Damn, you have had a lot of nice bikes.
cheers! truth be told I sold the car and plowed the return into urban bikes

Last edited by Archwhorides; 02-05-20 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-06-20, 04:55 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Let me just add one more option to the list, the Schindelhauer Friedrich XI.
Old 02-06-20, 09:57 AM
The_NinthWave

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Let me just add one more option to the list, the Scindel..
Nice bike! They have no reseller in Canada nor U.S.A but they seem to ship worldwide. That might be a problem if one experiences any trouble under warranty.

By the way, I have a student which parents are Dutchs. His mother tongue is french but he speaks Dutch as well. He said he goes often to the Netherlands and that bike theft is a real PITA there, specially for parts where one can come back and finds it ripped from essentiel components.

PS: I had to edit your quote because I cannot post URLs yet
Old 02-06-20, 05:57 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 72 Posts
Two other manufacurers in Germany are the Fahrradmanufaktur and Utopia
The Fahrradmanufaktur has the T700 which comes with the Alfine 11.
The English site has no price:
https://www.fahrradmanufaktur.de/en/...gates-843-2020
The German site lists it at 1,800 Euro But that is the price in germany. I don't know if they have any resellers in the USA.
I personally have a 1994 Trekking Bike from Fahrradmanufaktur which I brought to the US when we moved here. Still running strong after 25 years,

The other manufacturer is Utopia.
https://www.utopia-velo.de/
They basically build the bikes completely customized. But they are way more expensise. Prices start above 2K Euro for Germany.
They have an english site but is is limited and their configurator is only available in German.
Old 02-07-20, 03:31 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Nice bike! They have no reseller in Canada nor U.S.A but they seem to ship worldwide. That might be a problem if one experiences any trouble under warranty.

By the way, I have a student which parents are Dutchs. His mother tongue is french but he speaks Dutch as well. He said he goes often to the Netherlands and that bike theft is a real PITA there, specially for parts where one can come back and finds it ripped from essentiel components.

PS: I had to edit your quote because I cannot post URLs yet
There seem to be two of them in Montreal now: Allo Vélo Boutique & Café and VeloLifestyle.

Bike theft is an issue but less so than it was, let's say 20 years ago, when you had junkies on street corners selling bikes for the price of a single fix. It still happens but with bicycle parking in most major cities I actually feel safer nowadays. And it is pretty standard to use both a frame lock together with a chain frame lock. That's close to 2KG (4.4lbs) in locks you're carrying around but it does keep your bike safe.

Last edited by JaccoW; 02-07-20 at 07:30 AM.
Old 02-07-20, 06:55 AM
The_NinthWave

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There seem to be two of them in Montreal now: Allo Vélo Boutique & Café and VeloLifestyle.[...]
For whatever reason, it's the same shop. First batch is expected to arrive in Feb or March.

[...]And it is pretty standard to use both a frame lock together with a frame lock. That's close to 2KG (4.4lbs) in locks you're carrying around but it does keep your bike safe.
I am pretty sure you don't use two frame lock What's the other one?

Some of the Dutch bikes seem to have an integrated U shaped rear wheel lock integrated with the frame. Can you asses the ruggedness of that?
Old 02-07-20, 07:51 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

For whatever reason, it's the same shop. First batch is expected to arrive in Feb or March.
I am pretty sure you don't use two frame lock What's the other one?
Some of the Dutch bikes seem to have an integrated U shaped rear wheel lock integrated with the frame. Can you asses the ruggedness of that?
Sounds like an excellent time to test ride one of them.

Sorry, frame lock and a chain lock for example.

To give you an idea, ABUS rates their best ring/frame lock as a Level 9/15 protection with its 8.5mm hardened steel rod.
Their cable lock with covered 25mm covered cable lock is a Level 9/15 as well.
Their best U-lock is Level 15/15 Protection with 13mm hardened steel.
Their best chain lock is Level 15/15 Protection with 10mm hexagonal hardened steel links.

It's good enough for a quick run into the shop and prevents the rear wheel from being taken away but overnight I would always add a chain. They can be removed or broken but you will need power tools and time to do so.
For me it is a must on a commuter bike.
Old 02-07-20, 08:18 AM
The_NinthWave

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you! That is nicely detailed information.

Frame locks are not really common around here but I like it and will get one for my next commuter.

What I actually do with my no-value commuter is to leave my old U-schackle lock at my job's bike rack to reduce unnecessary weight moving.

What I am thinking of as well is to add some Pitlocks.

Last edited by The_NinthWave; 02-07-20 at 08:22 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 02-10-20, 07:19 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Thank you! That is nicely detailed information.

Frame locks are not really common around here but I like it and will get one for my next commuter.

What I actually do with my no-value commuter is to leave my old U-schackle lock at my job's bike rack to reduce unnecessary weight moving.

What I am thinking of as well is to add some Pitlocks.
All good points. If everybody around here left his lock at the rack there would be no more space to mount bikes.
And I can rarely use the same rack twice.

As for the frame locks, here is one I mounted recently.
Old 02-20-20, 04:33 PM
The_NinthWave

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Check this Swiss MTB Cycletech Tool. Not available in NA. It sports a pinion 9,12 or 18. Pretty nice bike
Likes For The_NinthWave:
Old 02-20-20, 05:14 PM
The_NinthWave

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
[...]
That is a pretty damn nice fender. Which is it ?
Old 02-21-20, 07:03 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

That is a pretty damn nice fender. Which is it ?
Gilles Berthoud 700C x 50mm long version stainless steel. With Simworks by Honjo hardware and fender flap.
I prefer stainless steel over aluminum, even though it is slightly heavier, and they are cheaper than VO aluminum fenders over here.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 02-22-20, 08:06 AM
The_NinthWave

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Gilles Berthoud 700C x 50mm long version stainless steel. With Simworks by Honjo hardware and fender flap.
[...]
Thanks!

Honjo hardware is of better quality ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.