Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Dumb questions from a gravel semi-newbie

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-20, 08:26 PM
BrazAd

Bikes: 1983 Trek 400, 2015 Cannondale Synapse, Soma Double Cross, 2021 Salsa Warbird 600

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 19 Posts

I've got a Soma DoubleCross that I've ridden for about 1,000 miles in the last year on gravel and dirt roads here in southwest Georgia. It came with 37mm WTB Riddler tubeless tires on Mavic Ksyrium wheels. I had fresh sealant put in the tires about a year ago.

Last week while riding I evidently got a cut in the rear tire. I could FEEL the air escape when it hit my calf! We stopped and I put a tube in it and kept going. (Yes, the sealant was still wet).

So here's my first dumb question. Should I get a new tire and go back tubeless? Or just keep riding it with a tube in it?

2nd dumb question - if I keep a tube in it should I keep it at the same tire pressure I've been using (55 psi)?

Seems to me that it's a whole lot easier just to run it with tubes... but then I'm pretty new at gravel riding so that's why I'm asking y'all, the experts.

Thanks in advance,

Gary
Old 08-10-20, 08:52 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
You could get a new tire and go back to tubeless
Or you can keep riding it with the tube in it.
You can ride it at the same PSI that you have.
Or you can lower or raise the PSI.

OK... there the first answer. Ha
Seriously, if you have a cut in your tire and put a tube in it, the cut tire will cut the tube, unless you patch the inside of the tire.
It's time for new tire. Go back to tubeless and watch out for too much air pressure.

Last edited by trailangel; 08-10-20 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-10-20, 11:13 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by BrazAd
I've got a Soma DoubleCross that I've ridden for about 1,000 miles in the last year on gravel and dirt roads here in southwest Georgia. It came with 37mm WTB Riddler tubeless tires on Mavic Ksyrium wheels. I had fresh sealant put in the tires about a year ago.

Last week while riding I evidently got a cut in the rear tire. I could FEEL the air escape when it hit my calf! We stopped and I put a tube in it and kept going. (Yes, the sealant was still wet).

So here's my first dumb question. Should I get a new tire and go back tubeless? Or just keep riding it with a tube in it?

2nd dumb question - if I keep a tube in it should I keep it at the same tire pressure I've been using (55 psi)?

Seems to me that it's a whole lot easier just to run it with tubes... but then I'm pretty new at gravel riding so that's why I'm asking y'all, the experts.

Thanks in advance,

Gary
The first thing I'd say is that you should check the cut area and make sure it's adequately-booted. If the tire's casing is bulging near the cut, it indicates that it's having a hard time containing the pressure, which is a problem.

The second thing is, what's your bike+rider weight? 55PSI is a lot of pressure to be running in a 37mm tire for gravel usage, tubed or otherwise.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 08-11-20, 06:20 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
You can do anything you want.

Put a patch inside the tire, over the cut, and keep riding it -- tubed or tubeless.

If you ride tubeless, you do need to occasionally refresh the sealant, and you should not be running 55psi - that's way too much. Spend a half hour online, reading up on tubeless operation and maintenance.
Old 08-11-20, 11:06 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
55 psi is too high for tubeless. I have 35's and I run 40 psi
Old 08-11-20, 12:28 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
You do need to refresh your sealant every 3-6 months, so I'm not surprised you had a flat. If that maintenance isn't worth it, or if you just want the tire to hold air longer before pumping it up - you are probably better off with tubes.

How big was the cut? Unless the tube us bulging out through the hole, the tire could very well be fine the way it is.

Personally, I would take the tube out, refill the sealant, put the hole at the lowest point (i.e. usually on the ground if the tire is standing up) so that the sealant is pooling up around the hole (on the inside of the tire), and slowly inflate it until it seals, but of course that assumes its not big enough to need a plug or a boot.
Old 08-11-20, 08:58 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
The second thing is, what's your bike+rider weight? 55PSI is a lot of pressure to be running in a 37mm tire for gravel usage, tubed or otherwise.
Originally Posted by Elvo
55 psi is too high for tubeless. I have 35's and I run 40 psi
At least HT asks about weight.
I'm 215#, my bike is 23.5# ready to ride, I have 43mm actual width tubeless tires and I set the front at 40-45 and the rear at 45-50 depending on where I will ride.

So given that a wider tire should run lower psi, I'm running at about the same as the OP.
It works out great for me. Tons of comfort and traction, but no squirmy feeling.
Old 08-11-20, 09:02 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by BrazAd

You can buy tubeless patch kits for the inside of the tire. It's like $7 and holds fine(i have a tire with one).
https://www.amazon.com/Hutchinson-Re...QMDHVMKWZNDM1H
Old 08-14-20, 11:28 AM
BrazAd

Bikes: 1983 Trek 400, 2015 Cannondale Synapse, Soma Double Cross, 2021 Salsa Warbird 600

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
About 245 combined. 55psi is the max recommended for the WTB Riddler 37mm tire. At that pressure there is plenty of sidewall "bulging" out on the sides, so I've been riding at that instead of lower pressure.

Thanks for all the thoughts and input here! I haven't been back riding on the gravel bike yet (spinning a lot of road miles), but plan to order a patch for the tire and go from there.

Gary