Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

First impressions of my 1983 Univega Super Strada

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-20, 02:52 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 182 Posts

It's very light weight, fast, handles very well and is comfortable and fits me perfectly. The only thing
I don't like much is the Dura Ace AX rear derailleur. Sometimes you can feel the internal derailleur
indexed system .Sometimes I can feel the gears downshifting but never upshifting.I would much
rather have had the Suberbe Pro components equipped on the next lower model.
Old 09-10-20, 02:58 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by robertj298
I would much rather have had the Suberbe Pro components equipped on the next lower model.
eBay
Old 09-10-20, 05:00 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 280 Posts
I had one of these pass through my hands a few years back. A previous owner had thoughtfully swapped in a Superbe Pro RD.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 09-10-20, 05:59 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Originally Posted by top506
I had one of these pass through my hands a few years back. A previous owner had thoughtfully swapped in a Superbe Pro RD.

I'm wondering if the Superbe Pro RD would work with the rest of the Dura Ace components that are already on there?
Old 09-10-20, 06:28 PM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
eBay
Honestly it might be cheaper to grab the first Superbe Pro bike you can find on CL locally. Superbe Pro parts are big bucks on eBay.
Likes For sheddle:
Old 09-10-20, 06:58 PM
robertj298 

Originally Posted by sheddle
Honestly it might be cheaper to grab the first Superbe Pro bike you can find on CL locally. Superbe Pro parts are big bucks on eBay.
I could probably recoup a chunk of the cost by selling the dura ace derailleur it is in like new condition
Old 09-11-20, 05:01 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by sheddle
Good point.
Old 09-11-20, 06:23 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by robertj298
I'm wondering if the Superbe Pro RD would work with the rest of the Dura Ace components that are already on there?
Won't index, of course, but it'll work fine. Just happen to have one in my parts stash.......

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 09-12-20, 04:53 PM
Steel1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 55 Posts
The bike looks awesome in pics in other thread. You are lucky it is the right size! Thats most important.
I would give the AX derailleur a chance. I had some funkiness and found the 5mm hex hanger bolt was loose. After tightening hanger bolt, and adjusting the limit screw to ensure I could fully get into 1st gear, it shifts very well. Verified on long rides with all kinds of hills.
I also have the same year Competizione. It is about 2 pounds heavier, you can notice difference as soon as picking it up. The Superbe Pro rear is good too, but I personally don’t see huge difference.
The two front derailleurs do have differences. On my AX, I have to feather it alot to prevent rubbing. Most of my front derailleur usually two different spots would work to prevent rubbing while shifting rear over full range low to high. On the AX I need to adjust more, maybe 3 positions as i shift rear low to high.
on the Superbe FD with Aerox crankset, I have the issue where chain can settle between the chainrings when dropping from big ring to small. I will go measure the chain width to see if it same size as my other bikes, and not a 9 speed chain etc. But I am pretty sure it is the stock one.
So at least for me, neither is perfect, but they are both very good. Both are joyful to ride.
Thanks for posting about yours, its interesting to read.
Old 09-12-20, 05:10 PM
robertj298 

Originally Posted by Steel1
The bike looks awesome in pics in other thread. You are lucky it is the right size! Thats most important.
I would give the AX derailleur a chance. I had some funkiness and found the 5mm hex hanger bolt was loose. After tightening hanger bolt, and adjusting the limit screw to ensure I could fully get into 1st gear, it shifts very well. Verified on long rides with all kinds of hills.
I also have the same year Competizione. It is about 2 pounds heavier, you can notice difference as soon as picking it up. The Superbe Pro rear is good too, but I personally don’t see huge difference.
The two front derailleurs do have differences. On my AX, I have to feather it alot to prevent rubbing. Most of my front derailleur usually two different spots would work to prevent rubbing while shifting rear over full range low to high. On the AX I need to adjust more, maybe 3 positions as i shift rear low to high.
on the Superbe FD with Aerox crankset, I have the issue where chain can settle between the chainrings when dropping from big ring to small. I will go measure the chain width to see if it same size as my other bikes, and not a 9 speed chain etc. But I am pretty sure it is the stock one.
So at least for me, neither is perfect, but they are both very good. Both are joyful to ride.
Thanks for posting about yours, its interesting to read.
It's not that it shifts bad it's almost as if you have a combination of the in derailleur index and friction at different points in the shift.