Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tarmac SL7 Pro SRAM noise

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-18-20, 03:20 PM
ZiggyC63

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Hello all,

I’ve had my SL7 for about a month now and was surprised that the chain/rear cassette noise hadn’t gone away after the “break-in” mentioned for the cassette. The noise was extremely loud in all cogs except the three smallest. After doing research and seeing that others were having the same issue, I decided to upgrade the cassette to SRAM Red XG-1290. I also installed the Red chain. Now the bike is perfectly quiet and as should be.

It’s very disappointing that the stock Force XG-1270 was so loud. I’ve tried contacting SRAM for some type of warranty claim but haven’t had any luck. Anyone have advice??
Old 09-18-20, 03:29 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
I have no advice, but I recently converted two bikes over to force axs with the new 10-36 cassette. Both are dead quiet. I also reused my Campy chorus 48/32 cranks for a 540% range. Shifting has been perfect.

It seems odd that the new 10-36 has no noise issue, but the 10-28 does. No help from the shop where you bought the bike?
Old 09-19-20, 12:07 PM
bahula03

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
My guess is that you'll find "StealthRing elastomer inserts" are the difference, if SRAM still calls them that. Looking at photos of the two cassettes, the Red has them for all gears whereas the Force only has them on the smallest three. If memory serves, the first 10 speed powerdome cassette was so noisy that SRAM put out a revised cassette that added the fancy rubber bands between gears.
Old 09-19-20, 02:42 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
The new 10-36 only has three bands on the smallest sprockets. No noise from mine.