Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 03-27-12, 04:36 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 653 Posts
I have 2 Miami Vice pink and yellow Iron Man Experts, a 1986 and a 1987. The 1986 is a 6 speed with a 126mm rear width and a Shimano 600EX gruppo. The 1987 is a 7 speed with a 130mm rear. It's equipped with the then new Shimano 105 "economy" gruppo.

I was a fan of Miami Vice back in the 80s and I liked the Don Johnson color themes from that era.

I bought the 87 dirt cheap ($40). It had been used by someone doing triathlons down in SoCal and the seatpost was frozen into the seat tube. It took me about 3 hours to cut it out.

I picked up the 86 in much better condition off of eBay.

The bikes are well made and handle in a way that probably would appeal to a tri-athlete - they go straight ahead no matter what!

Aside from that, I don't care for the lack of a fork crown with the fork blades curved at the top and TIG welded onto the steerer tube which was popular in the late 80s.

Chas. verktyg

Last edited by verktyg; 03-27-12 at 04:39 AM.
Old 03-27-12, 05:48 AM
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I have ridden my '87 Ironman over 1,000 miles so far this year including one 68 mile ride. What a great bike. I got mine
from local Yellowbike as a gift for volunteering there regularly.
Old 03-27-12, 08:34 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Both of yours would be '87's, and someone's done some swapping, is all.
1986 did not have an Expert, or a Master, but a straight Ironman model.
The only pink/yellow models were the 1987 Expert, which came OEM with the "new" 2x6 105 indexed.
It should have a Uniglide 6-sp cassette on a 126mm rear, with Wolber Super Champion rims.

It would appear that both of yours are 1987 models.

On the one with Shimano 600, someone swapped it in place of the 105.

On the one with 7-sp 105, someone swapped it in for the 6-sp 105, as there are several ways to do that.

They ride great, and were the "tri bike" of choice for many a competitor who only had one bike.
Per the late Sheldon Brown's (RIP) Centurion websiet:

https://sheldonbrown.com/centurion/index.html

"The good news is that Tom Marshall (a.k.a. T-Mar), a Canadian engineer, racer and runner, with the help of Centurion owners from around North America and information from his own archives, figured out the serial number date codes for many Centurions. Here's what Tom has to say on the subject:

Japanese Centurions made between 1980-1990 use a serial number format WXYZZZZ where:
W = a letter, purpose uncertain, but probably indicates a manufacturer or Centurion;
X = a number, indicating the calendar year of manufacture;
Y = a letter, indicating the fortnight of manufacture (A = wk 1 & 2, B = wk 3 & 4, etc)
ZZZZ = four digit number, probably indicating frame number during fortnight of manufacture.

Example: N4E0283 indicates the 283 frame made during the period of weeks 9-10 in 1984."

The serial number on my "1986" pink and yellow Ironman Expert is N6L5766.

Based on this information, it was built near the end of the year in the 46th to 48th week of 1986.

It was all original Shimano 600EX 6 speed with a cassette hub and 6 speed index SIS shifters plus BioPace chainrings.

The serial number on the 1987 is N7K5749 indicating that it was produced between the 42nd and 44th week of 1987.

Shimano introduced the "New" version 105 gruppo in 1987. The bike was all original except for a long Cinelli stem with a Scott tri-bar mounted on it.

Supposedly Shimano didn't release the 7 speed version of the 105 until 1989, but...

Spreading the rear triangle plus changing the shift levers, rear hub and cassette to 7 speed would have been an expensive modification back then.

"Today, some view with shock and horror the pink/purple and pink/yellow two-tone color schemes of 1986-87 but these combinations were the rage at the time. There are often pristine examples of Centurion models with these color schemes (mostly the Ironman Master and Ironman Expert models) appearing on eBay and they often fetch less than similar models with more subdued colors.

Back in the day, these pink and pastel color schemes were attributed to the pervasive image of the TV show "Miami Vice." -- Sheldon Brown

The Ironman Dave Scott model name replaced Comp TA in 1985 and with the name change came indexed shifting with an upgraded Shimano "New" 600EX group. In 1987 the economy Ironman Expert Dave Scott model, with its Shimano 105 groupset, appeared and the "Master" designation was added to the original Ironman Dave Scott to distinguish it from the "Expert." The frames of both models were identical, featuring the same Tange #1 tubing, itself renamed from Champion #1. At about this time, a TIG-welded fork crown replaced the more graceful, semi-sloped investment cast fork crowns of the Comp TA and the earlier Ironman models. My 1988 Expert weighs about 21lbs.

These models were marketed as "triathlon specific" designs, but their geometry is not at all like newer triathlon bikes. These bikes are more like general high-performance "road" bikes. They were reputed to offer a ride that put less strain on the rider's arms, on the assumption that the rider would have tired arms after the two mile swim... -- Sheldon Brown"

I changed out the Cinelli stem and tri-bars to an original Nitto stem and bars plus I had to replace the fluted Sugino seatpost that I had cut out.

The flutes on the Sugino seatpost allowed water to get down into the seat tube and cause both rust and electrolytic corrosion between the post and the tube.

I also replaced the 52-42 BioPace chainrings with 50-38 rings and put on a 13-30T cassette. I installed a Shimano cassette BB to replace the original loose bearing one which was quite corroded.

So, you might be correct that the 1987 was originally a 6 speed but I had the alignment checked on both frames by a local frame builder and they were spot on.

Any way I enjoy the look of horror on the faces of the other classic bike riders when I take it out. Real men don't ride PINK! What about Poulidor and the Mercier teams?

BTW, this is my wet weather beater bike. I haven't gotten around to finishing the overhaul on the 1986 IM. It's in much nicer condition.

Chas. verktyg
Old 03-27-12, 07:45 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Robbie,

You were right. The 87 was originally a 6 speed. It's been a few years and I forgot about the details. When I picked up the bike for $40 from a local used bike monger, he kept the original 6 speed wheels.

I had a nice set of wheels with Shimano 600 hubs and Mavic MA2 rims. When I had the alignment checked, I had the rear triangle spread to 130mm to use the 7 speed rear hub.

The 1987 105 derailleurs plus the 6 speed SIS levers work fine with the 7 speed cassette.

Chas. verktyg

Last edited by verktyg; 03-27-12 at 07:48 PM.
Old 03-27-12, 11:32 PM
verktyg 
verktyg

Glad to be able to help, and welcome to our little group therapy session. You can always consider Campy...

Thank you for accepting me into your group of "Real Men" who ride pink and yelow bikes!

I have enough all Crampy Italian, Brit and French bikes!

These are my most outrageous (and only) examples of Japanese rice rockets!

Chas. verktyg

Last edited by verktyg; 03-28-12 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-07-12, 01:47 PM
doorunrun

Bikes: Giant Rincon '08, Nashbar CX Homebrew

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ironman Expert on a sunny spring morning

Hello all,
I bought this Ironman Expert shortly before the Christmas holidays and spent the better part of them overhauling it. It really cleaned up nicely. Polishing compound really helped bring out the underlying finish. A few coats of Meguiar's carnuba wax on it helps protect the shine.
The purple phlox flowers have returned this spring along the roadside. They make for a wonderful ride through the countryside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IronmanFlowers2.jpg (102.6 KB, 2307 views)
Likes For doorunrun:
Old 04-07-12, 07:11 PM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
I worked on a similar Ironman over the winter, but it's not as photogenic as yours! Nice job.

Hope to post an epic thread on that project by summer.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Last edited by horatio; 04-12-12 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-10-12, 09:17 PM
seaphoto1

Bikes: ca.1992 Diamondback Master TG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey all, first post here. I couldn't resist it any longer. This thread is awesome...it's amazing how great a 20+ year old bike can look with a little bit of love! Mine isn't an Ironman, but it's the slightly younger cousin/sibling, Diamondback Master TG with the Shimano 105 components. Still trying to determine actual build year. I bought it for dirt cheap (60 bucks!) a year ago, and rode the heck out of it after only replacing the tires (dry, cracked gum sidewalls...). During the off-time over the winter, I developed a little bit of upgrade-itis after a brief battle with "replace-it-itis". I decided the bike is too unique to get rid of and for the fit and function of what it provides....spending 1000+ for "same level components in something new" was a stretch...so I strategically replaced a few parts to slightly edit the fit/function/fashion aspects (shorter stem, wider range rear cassette, slightly smaller front small chainring, new wheels), and voila! I've been lovin' with this bike from day one of ownership, despite is overwhelming pinkness, and now...well, I wonder why I ever wanted to get rid of it at all. It's definitely a conversation piece. It does everything I need and want in a bike, in a package that not many others can say "yeah, it looks just like mine" :-D

Old 04-11-12, 10:02 PM
lazy912

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, no name fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hiya~

Long time lurker, 1st time poster. Wasn't sure where I was going to post this, or if I was going to make a new thread but decided that this was best. Since I now also have an Ironman, I guess I can participate. I picked this up from CL, asking price was $350. I got it down to $320, but I was aiming for $300 flat. He wouldn't budge from 320. Anyways, I would like to know more about it, if it's all original or if things were swapped. What year and stuff like that. (that's me pinging you, Mr Robbie. )

Based on what I have read up and researched, it's an 86' model. I hope its an 86' model. That's the year my wifey was born. Not sure about the rest. The serial is N6A6988, not sure if that will help or not. The pictures actually make it look nicer than it is, it's kinda banged and beat up. I'm worried bout rust and stuff, but I'm not sure if I should be or not. It's my 1st real road bike and man do I love riding it. My other bike is a no name fixie, nothing special other than a Sugino 75 chainring. Anyways, here's the specs and pics I saved from the CL listing.

51CM CENTURION DAVE SCOTT IRONMAN TRIATHLON/ROAD BIKE
MADE IN JAPAN
FULL TANGE 1 CHROMOLY TUBING
NEW CORK DROPBAR TAPE
NEW INNER TUBES/NEW TIRES
NEW SADDLE
GOLDEN ARAYA WHEELSET ON SHIMANO 600 HUBS, BOTH ARE TRUE
COMPLETE SET OF SHIMANO 600 COMPONENTS!
( CRANKSET, SHIFTERS, DERAILLEURS, BRAKES, BRAKE LEVERS )
MKS PEDALS WITH SOMA CAGES
12-SPEED

BTW, those tubes are not new. The schrader valve was rusted and gunked up. New saddle, tires and bar tape tho. But that saddle hurts. I don't really like that the brake hoods are kinda loose. It's dia compe hoods. Also, not sure if brake levers are Shimano, but then again I'm a noob.

Any help or info, just chime in and I will definitely appreciate it. I want to make this bike better and a beast. I mean, it's already a beast, but I wanna make it betterrrrr. So far I'm loving my Ironman.
Old 04-12-12, 04:01 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Welcome to the club!

It is an '86 - 600EX group and fork crown confirm.

The paint should touch up nicely with Testor's model paints. I got the best results on mine with a coat of white first, then red on top. Treat the rust (if any) first.

You'll find it's a great bike.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 04-12-12, 12:09 PM
bike112

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So...I stumbled onto this forum when trying to find out what to do with my:

89 Ceturion Ironman Master(White/Gray marble)...all original except saddle and of course new tires and bar tape. It's a 60cm.

I have been using it until lately as my indoor trainer bike. It rides great...but does have some rust on TT because of sweat. Very upsetting. I should of known better.

Anyway....Is there a way to get rid of the rust and re-paint? Or is it too much trouble.

Any ideas as to do what to do with it would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry no pics as of this time.
Old 04-17-12, 07:58 PM
lazy912

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, no name fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by horatio
Welcome to the club!

It is an '86 - 600EX group and fork crown confirm.

The paint should touch up nicely with Testor's model paints. I got the best results on mine with a coat of white first, then red on top. Treat the rust (if any) first.

You'll find it's a great bike.
Horatio beat me to it. Sorry if our enthusiasm has driven the price up, but it's worth the touchups, etc.
Brake levers should be Dia Compe's, so the hoods should be, too. They're available, still, in black, red, etc.
Glad to know the bike is still winning people over. Welcome to the forum, too!
Yea, I totally fell in love with it the moment I saw it in person. After the initial ride, couldn't be happier. Thanks for the info Horatio and Robbie. I plan on touching up the paint and to try and make it look cleaner. So from what I gather, Walmart has a rust remover that works, then I prime with something and I follow with touch up paint. Right right?

It is Dia-Compe brake levers, Robbie you was right. It has a stamp in white on the front that says AGC. Are there any readily available hoods that fit snugs?

There's a small dent on the top tube. Is there an easy fix for this? It's right after the middle cable holding thingy.

Will keep you guys updated as I fix her up.
Old 04-21-12, 09:45 PM
trekKiller

Bikes: Centurion Ironman Master, Motobecane Jubile Sport, Mongoose ATB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I just got back from a tour of NYC on my purple haze and have a good pic on the Brooklyn Bridge I thought I would share. The bike recently went back to DT shifters (the sex) and got a thomson zero post to dial in my fit better. I take fit very seriously and it makes my bike look ready for the kill (in my personal opinion lol) The front wheel was just something I threw on for the city since it's a tough rim. I am getting together the parts to build up some new wheels on the tricolor hubs with similar depth rims though...
Old 07-15-12, 03:08 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
I picked this up for my brother and gave him my black Turbo

It has much better wheels and tires on it now. The front is actually an Ambrosio but the spokes are not in great shape.
Old 07-28-12, 05:21 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
Posted a couple of weeks ago about a customer wanting to have me build a short-ish tri-style vintage/classy bike for his daughter.
The finished product: a Miami Vice Iron Man. 10 speed double (love them Truvativ square taper cranksets!), Vittoria Pro's, Shimano R500 wheelset, new Selle Italia XO saddle, really a very nice bike.
(Note: saddle angle has been fixed)

Old 07-31-12, 07:38 PM
kaydub

Bikes: Centurion Ironman Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased a "Miami Vice" Ironman at the beginning of the month for a great price, and have spent the past few weeks getting it ready to ride. Had it shipped from Houston to Cincinnati, so it had to be re-assembled and tuned once it arrived, and it needed new tires and tubes as well. Here's a poor-quality iPod picture of when I brought it home from the LBS:

The bike was in great shape and everything ran smooth, but for me it was nigh unrideable with the aero bars. So I ordered a new Nitto stem and Nitto drop bars, and had the gear levers move back down to their original position on the downtube. Here's what it looks like as of earlier today:

I opted not to take any detail shots yet since the bike needs a good cleaning first (she's in fantastic shape, just a little dirty). I've only ridden it around the LBS parking lot and around the neighborhood a couple times, but I absolutely love it so far. Already have my mind set on finding a white/grey marble Master at some point in the future.

P.S. Looking to swap the saddle for something white and period correct, to match the bars/hoods and pedals. Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Last edited by kaydub; 08-01-12 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-31-12, 07:41 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
yummy
Old 07-31-12, 07:58 PM
degan

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 54 Posts
I recently purchased an Ironman from a guy who had it stolen and recovered twice, which is about the luckiest thing I've heard in a long time. Anyway, the first time it was stolen it was rattlecanned red, the second time it was rattlecanned blue. The owner, who bought it in the early 90's, tried getting some of the spray paint off, but didn't get the hard to reach areas, and unfortunately the other areas were sanded a bit to vigorously. Anyway, could anyone tell me where I would find the serial number so I don't have to go searching under two layers of paint a bunch of times? Pics to come soon.
Old 07-31-12, 08:22 PM
frantik
Chainstay Brake Mafia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
SN is on the underside of the bottom bracket
Old 08-01-12, 03:24 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Looking to swap the saddle for something white and period correct, to match the bars/hoods and pedals.
I've got a white San Marco Regal on mine, and it looks right.

Demain, on roule!
Old 08-01-12, 11:40 AM
kaydub

Bikes: Centurion Ironman Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
I've got a white San Marco Regal on mine, and it looks right.
Hmm, that's a nice saddle, but I'm not too keen on the rivets. Just seems a little too classic for a Miami Vice IMO.

But, thanks to your suggestion, I'm now quite interested in finding a used or NOS Concor Supercorsa. So thank you anyways!
Old 08-01-12, 12:11 PM
Robofunc

Bikes: Schwinn, Bottecchia, Miyata, projects

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Might as well post this here, too ^_^

My '87. Got the frame & fork in trade for my '90 Bottecchia ADR from another BFer in the "frame doesn't fit" thread last year, finally finished building it up recently, still getting the fit right. Full '90 105 group save the FD, which I think is original.

Old 08-01-12, 03:56 PM
allysdad531

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hi all you appreciative centurion bike fans,as we all know the japanese built many fine bikes(or at least marketed them under various guises.) and the mid range bikes by centurion,panasonic(and pannie built schwinns),diamondbacks,miyatas,univegas(especially the miyata built frames) etc remain underappreciated and considerably underpriced though quietly undercoveted........i think these mid range( and nicer) models are way nicer in terms of ride quality,aesthetics,finish work as well as uniqueness put them heads above any tig welded(unlugged) frame currently available built in taiwan.....however,i do think that surlys,somas and similar do deserve the respect and popularity they receive because they get people on steel bikes who do not care to ride nor want vintage machines..........its not what you ride but that you ride.........
Old 08-04-12, 01:00 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
This just in: '85 Iron Man. 57.5 X 57.5, full Shimano 600 EX. Amazing condition. Bought it from a guy in the midwest who was the original owner and he clearly kept it up nicely. His measurements were incorrect to my benefit, since I expected this to be more like a 60 but is instead my size. Ignore the brake cables coming out of the hoods- they are just stuck in there temporarily. This is quite literally how it came out of the box:

Not exactly sure what I'm going to do with it. Had intended to use the groupset on another bike and sell/resto-mod the frame, but also have a virtually NOS 600 SIS RD and shifters, so may just upgrade this and use it as a Sunday Ride With The Wife bike.
Old 08-04-12, 03:26 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Not exactly sure what I'm going to do with it. Had intended to use the groupset on another bike and sell/resto-mod the frame, but also have a virtually NOS 600 SIS RD and shifters, so may just upgrade this and use it as a Sunday Ride With The Wife bike.
What you do with it is your business, but don't sell the bike short. Tune it up, make sure the brake pads and tires are still good and replace if necessary, and take it out on your normal rides. Unless you have a lot of hills where the 42t small ring won't be much help, you'll find you'll maintain the same speeds you do on your other bikes. A lot of us have upgraded these to current (or recent) drivetrains - I've got nine speed Tiagra 4500 compact crank, brifters and FD, with an Ultegra 6500 RD, on my '87; found a set of used 600 hubs and re-built the original rear wheel with the 600 hub and current freehub, and that bike is slicker than snot on a doorknob.

Then again, if the Mrs. is a Cat 2, your original plan would work fine!

Demain, on roule!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.