Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Road bike tour in Mexico?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 07-31-14, 08:17 AM
Figman5000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone know of a group that organizes road bike tours in Mexico? I'm looking for a multi-day tour with luggage transfer, preferably in Oaxaca or Chiapas.

(Sorry, I'm not a true touring type, but I figure somebody here might be able to help.)
Old 07-31-14, 01:37 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
I've seen the following outfit in Oaxaca recommended in guidebooks. I have no personal experience with them.

Bicicletas Pedro Martínez

I've toured elsewhere in Mexico on my own. I've been to Oaxaca a couple of times and have hiked in the Sierra Norte but not biked in the state. I did several daytrips on my bike in Chiapas. If I were to return to go touring in Mexico, I would choose Oaxaca over Chiapas. Culturally, I found it to be the most interesting state in Mexico. I'm not sure about the road network in the hinterlands of Oaxaca, but I found the riding not that great in Chiapas around San Cristobal. The roads were in worse shape than in other parts of Mexico, and the grading was bad on minor roads near San Cristobal. I think that some parts of the state near Lagos de Montebello National Park (along the Guatemalan border) might be better. The only road to get there from San Cristobal is the PanAm highway, and I actually turned back because I felt the road was dangerous as I was climbing out of San Cristobal (lots of traffic and no shoulder).
Old 07-31-14, 05:04 PM
Figman5000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! If you're interested in joining a mountain bike tour in early September or so, let me know--I got in touch with Pedro Martinez today and was impressed with his mountain bike tours--4 days from Oaxaca City to Pto. Escondido. He can do road too, but it seems like more mountain bike territory. Pedro's prices are reasonable, and his itineraries look worthwhile. (Not technical, but enough miles and sights to make it interesting.)
Old 07-31-14, 07:02 PM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Please let us know when you return home how it went. Also, I hope you can spend a few days in the city of Oaxaca. It's a wonderful place. It also has some of the best food in all of Mexico, and that's saying a lot, because the food is great throughout Mexico.
Old 08-06-14, 10:10 AM
Rwc5830

Bikes: Fuji, Specialized, Surly, BMC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Figman5000
Does anyone know of a group that organizes road bike tours in Mexico? I'm looking for a multi-day tour with luggage transfer, preferably in Oaxaca or Chiapas.

(Sorry, I'm not a true touring type, but I figure somebody here might be able to help.)
Figman, you might also try posting your question in the forums on CGOAB (crazyguyonabike). I live right on the USA-MX border and have hosted a lot of cyclists in/out of Mexico via warmshowers. Many of them have gone through OAXACA and some also use CGOAB. Most of the riders I have hosted are international (non-USA) and almost all liked cycling in MX. Only one rider from the Netherlands complained but it was about the traffic and he has ridden all over the world.

Good luck, Oaxaca is on my wish list one day.

Richard
Old 08-06-14, 10:35 AM
Figman5000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great suggestion, thanks! I'll post again when/if I get any good leads.
Old 08-08-14, 05:00 AM
SparkyGA

Bikes: Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oaxaca and Puerto Esc. are great places to be. I've spent some decent time in both and make sure to eat the chocolate chicken! You'll understand once your there, it's amazing!

If I remember correctly, its a steep downhill from Oaxaca to PE