Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

If you Could Only Pick one Gear...

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

If you Could Only Pick one Gear...

Old 02-04-21, 01:20 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
I actually picked up my single speed to supplement my weightlifting workouts since gyms are closed in my area. I also wanted a cheap and simple bike I can maintain on my own and I live in a somewhat hilly area. I treat my cycling similar to HIIT routines with hard burst and short rest periods. Single speed riding also lets me focus on my rhythm, breathing, technique, maximizing momentum and knowing when to push my body to the limits. I use two chainrings and one freewheel: 40:16 for most general riding and 34:16 for the uphills. I don't race, care about brands, or anything related to the cycling scene.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 02-04-21, 10:14 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikefule
Ask the engineers to define "efficiency" then turn it back on them.

There are two ways of defining efficiency: (a) achieving the desired outcome with the minimum use of resources, or (b) achieving the best possible outcome from the resources available.

Clearly a single speed or fixed bike uses considerably fewer resources (money, materials, energy to manufacture, maintenance time) compared to a geared bike.

A little bit of analysis then shows that the definition of "outcome" is crucial. It is not necessarily "top speed" or "average speed" or even anything to do with speed or anything to do with distance covered per unit of energy expended.

If the desired outcome is "enjoyment" then a single speed or fixed can be considerably more efficient than a geared bike: it indisputably needs fewer resources to produce the same amount (or more) of the desired outcome.
Indeed, the engineers will usually try to get to the bottom of what you mean by efficiency if you ask them for an efficient design. Especially if it's something that somebody's paying for. They have quantitative definitions for some things like the thermodynamic efficiency of machines. On the other hand if you move into the domain of things such as enjoyment, they'll tell you to ask the marketing department.
Old 02-05-21, 09:01 AM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
Out of curiosity I've done some testing on some local paved hills to see how I would fair locked into 1 of my 21 gears. I was surprised to find that even at 70 gear inches I was able to climb some of them. But they are short, Longer ones would not be fun. 66 gear inches might be my choice to lock it in. That's 22 kph at 70 rpm. Mind you these aren't like the hills of a challenging soft gravel trail I ride at 30 gear inches. Hence the need for more then 1 gear, But not the 21 available, 8 or so of which are redundant.

I do like the simplicity of the single speed, But still want the option of a low and high gear. Enter the 3 speed internal hub, as used on a bike I had as a kid. I loved that bike. With the right sprocket we can have our cake and eat it too.

Bike gears are like car gears. The more you have, The greater potential for efficiency gains with respect to energy use and load limits, to a point. Three is much more efficient then one, and 7 properly spaced gears are considerably more efficient then three. At that point for those of us living in areas with low climbs, We gain little with 21+ gears.

What it comes down to is the increased complexity of multi speeds worth the higher cost (which is very low for entry level bikes) and extra maintenance and cleaning required. Most seem to think it is as 95%+ of the bikes Giant, the largest bike manufacturer in the world offers, use a derailleur type multi speed gear set.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 02-05-21 at 05:03 PM.
Likes For xroadcharlie:
Old 02-06-21, 08:42 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by xroadcharlie
Bike gears are like car gears. The more you have, The greater potential for efficiency gains with respect to energy use and load limits, to a point. Three is much more efficient then one, and 7 properly spaced gears are considerably more efficient then three.
I don’t actually know if there is research showing that different gears are more efficient. I do know there is research showing that there is a broad power maximum at pedal cadences from about 1/3 to 2/3 of maximum cadence. You will be able to deliver near maximum power in that cadence range and won’t necessarily be noticeably slower than on a geared bike. Ok, in a race context, maybe you would.

I’m not good for much over 150 rpm so I take that range to be about 50 to 100 rpm for me, and my riding experience would agree with this.

So, I know that I can climb faster up a steep hill in a lower gear where I can keep up 75 to 80 rpm, which really is where I’m able to do the most work. If I’m running SS and only able to do 40 to 50 rpm, I won’t be able to put out as much power and I will be a bit slower. But whether I’m more efficient, as in pedaling output power per calorie used, I don’t know.

OTOH, there is a huge difference of mind and experience, at least for me, when riding SS versus riding a geared bike.

Otto
Old 02-14-21, 10:45 AM
UncleG

Bikes: Surly LHT, Trek 950 Single-Track

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
Oh okay. I've ridden a fixie before. It feltnweird at first but I liked it alot.
I checked out the velodrome in Bangkok on a local riders fixie...

I was a teen, on an early 60s Hercules 3-speed, who rode over to the velodrome for a demo, and at the end of the tour and presentation (and since I rode to the facility), I was invited to take a few spins. It was totally foreign, the fixie was so different, and TBH I did get up on the slant a tiny bit.

I used to ride over on Saturdays to watch the riders work out, but never got the opportunity to ride on the track again.
Old 02-14-21, 10:59 AM
UncleG

Bikes: Surly LHT, Trek 950 Single-Track

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by REDMASTA
single speed is for beach cruisers.
IIRC fixie's don't have brakes. I think we called them track bikes. Which means if the single speed has brakes it is not a fixie.

And why are fixies which have the direct drive AND brakes not called falsies?
Old 02-27-21, 10:48 PM
sdimattia

Bikes: Wabi Classic, Bombtrack Hook, Bombtrack Tension, Vitus Substance

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
My daily commuter and my wet/winter bike are both single speeds. I run 46/16 on 650c tires for the daily and 48/19 on 650b tires for the wet bike.

Geared bikes require thinking. SS/fixed does not.

Originally Posted by UncleG
And why are fixies which have the direct drive AND brakes not called falsies?
You should start a movement.
Old 02-27-21, 11:16 PM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
It depends on your terrain doesn't it? I have a 1000' of up hill and (downhill) to deal with. I can handle it 44/16 with a freewheel, but on my fixed I'm bumping it down to 42 /16