Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What bike(s) would use this Brake cable

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-20, 02:38 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts

Hi,

Got these brake cables and they do not work for my bikes.
I need the "bullet" type end, or shimano end.

Cannot use the barrel shape.

Appreciate any and all help

Thank you

I need the one with the black saddle in the background
Old 12-01-20, 02:50 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Generally there are two types of brake cables - the ones with the transverse barrel are for mountain bikes, bmx, any brake lever intended for flat or riser bars. The 'bullet' shape is for road bikes, or any bike with brake levers designed for drop handlebars. Any cable listed as for 'road' use should have the correct end. There are also 'universal' cables that come with both types at opposite ends, and you cut the one off you don't need. I find the universal ones to usually be of poorer quality, and cutting the cable before installation can make installation a pain.
Old 12-01-20, 02:58 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemike73
Cannot use the barrel shape.

This is the cable end used in just about any bike with a "flat" handlebar. in other words, most bikes that don't use a drop bar. this includes almost all mountain bikes, most hybrids, BMX bikes, kids bikes, beach cruisers, etc. the "bullet" end is for drop bar brake levers.
Old 12-01-20, 03:10 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Thank you!!!!

Greatly appreciated!!!

Does anyone know who makes these cables for drop bar road bikes, except for jagwire and shimano?

I know these 2 mfg make them
Old 12-01-20, 04:13 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
You can find a discussion of cable ends here and here. Shimano's cables come with the end you want because it is their standard. As ClydeClydeson mentioned, most other manufacturers provide two different ends on one cable and you cut off the one you do not need. You must carefully look at the photo of what is provided when ordering, to be sure. Also a visit to a bike store with the old cable is an option. On occasions I have soldered my own ends or refiled those that were provided. E.g. Brompton employs their unique proprietary ends, but you may want to use there other cables.
Old 12-01-20, 04:20 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 234 Posts
Jagwire's web site has description of the types/features available.

With some brake levers or brifters the dome shaped head are needed to provide clearance within the brake bracket. Some older or cheaper cables have longer cylindrical shaped head that restricts the movement of the lever.

For aero/under bar tape/tight routing, die drawn options are a benefit. Stainless steel is also nice.
Old 12-01-20, 04:44 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by KCT1986
Jagwire's web site has description of the types/features available.

With some brake levers or brifters the dome shaped head are needed to provide clearance within the brake bracket. Some older or cheaper cables have longer cylindrical shaped head that restricts the movement of the lever.

For aero/under bar tape/tight routing, die drawn options are a benefit. Stainless steel is also nice.
Die drawn stainless are my choice, I would suggest you avoid the coated inner cables as the coating is difficult to clamp (rather important for brake cables) securely and tends to shred.
Old 12-01-20, 04:47 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I've seen "Aztec" labeled cables and Amazon sells several products whose brand names I've never heard of so there are numerous choices.
Old 12-01-20, 05:50 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Alligator also makes some very good cables and cheaper than Shimano or Jagwire. Various grades offered here and as mentioned avoid the coated (PTFE) type. Brake Inner Cable Series of ALLIGATOR Bike Cables Company (alligatorcables.com) Lots of discounts for these available as well.