Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cable end glued into non-aero brake lever?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-20, 06:16 PM
Realsteel95

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1986 Chirico Special Competition, 1984 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, and 1972 Zeus Competition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts

Hello everyone,

I ran into a strange problem with some old road bike brake levers I purchased. Basically it looks like for some reason the previous owner had glued the cable end into the slot of the non-aero brake lever and I can not seem to get it out. Does anyone have any suggestions? I tried heating it up to make the housing expand but that didn't seem to work. Does anyone have any advice as to how to deal with it? I don't want to purchase new levers as these are very specific and are difficult to come by.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-30-20, 07:45 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Try using a long-nosed grille lighter and put the flame directly on the problem area, with pliers ready to try forcing the end out by clamping onto the cable once the heat's done its work.

Are you sure it's glue and not corrosion? You might have to drill it out.

Last edited by thumpism; 11-30-20 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-30-20, 07:47 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
pictures are always helpful is seeing the situation

possible use a spoke and a hammer.....but would want to see before causing damage

Old 12-01-20, 06:08 AM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Perhaps nail polish remover would dissolve the glue.
Old 12-01-20, 07:07 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Daniell is on the right track. I had a similar issue with what looked to me to be Gorilla Glue and acetone worked. If it is epoxy probably a mechanical means will be required if heat does not work.
Old 12-05-20, 08:44 AM
Realsteel95

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1986 Chirico Special Competition, 1984 Motobecane Grand Jubilee, and 1972 Zeus Competition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
I haven't tried drilling it out yet but I tried acetone to dissolve the glue and it looks like the glue is gone but it is still stuck in there yet. Drilling is the next step. Here are the pictures, sorry for the poor quality.

Old 12-05-20, 09:45 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Realsteel95
I haven't tried drilling it out yet but I tried acetone to dissolve the glue and it looks like the glue is gone but it is still stuck in there yet. Drilling is the next step. Here are the pictures, sorry for the poor quality.

Those cable seats are usually tapered - or rather stepped. Maybe someone hooked the cable in backwards, and braking force jammed it in there.
I’d try tapping it out.
Old 12-05-20, 01:06 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Try driving a drywall screw into the non-wire end of the cable piece and then pull on that with pliers.

Or try forcing a flat screwdriver blade into the slot for the cable end and then try prying it apart a little. That might break whatever bond is gripping the cable end.
Old 12-05-20, 01:55 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Could be a Shimano cable end jammed into a Campagnolo lever. They are larger than standard Campagnolo cable ends.
I would drill that out starting with something like a 1/8” hard tip bit, chances are that will loosen it up enough to remove it.
Old 12-06-20, 07:37 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,404 Times in 1,205 Posts
Shimano and Campagnolo cable ends- both shifter and brake- are differently shaped.
The shifter cable ends are larger (just sand the end down to fit) and the brake ends are closer in size, but hey, who knows?
Would be interesting to find out what lever that is, I can't tell and the OP hasn't replied.
Old 12-06-20, 08:13 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
I'd drill a small hole in the end and then thread in a long screw fashioned as a puller: washer to butt against the lever body and a nut to turn down against it to pull on the embedded screw shaft. OTOH the previous suggestion to just drill it out would probably take less time. You'll want to stabilize that anchor shaft in a vise to prevent turning.

Can anyone think of any reason why anyone would glue a cable end in? People have done strange things but I still can't imagine anyone thinking that glue would be a good idea.