Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano Rear derailleur burns through cables

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-20, 10:02 PM
Happy Ryder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I have this problem and looking for anybody who has any ideas.
I have about 1.5-year-old Shimano RX-800 Rear derailleur that breaks a cable about every nine months.
After looking closely when the cable exits the jacket and goes through the tension adjustment on derailleur it does not take a fair lead to the cable clamp on the movable part of the derailleur and the cable has to bend pretty dramatically to get to The set screw cable clamp. So it's no wonder the cable is failing. Is this normal and has anybody seen this?
Old 12-02-20, 10:04 PM
Happy Ryder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have pics but can't post them

For some reason I can't post pictures on this forum until I have 10 posts??
Old 12-02-20, 10:45 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Post a link. Yes, I've seen it. Need to see photos if all is normal.
Old 12-02-20, 11:05 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Most likely you clamp the cable end incorrectly. It is easy to get confused. Incidentally, when the cable is relaxed a sharp angle causes no damage. It is at high tension when sharp angles and any rubbing hurt.
Likes For 2_i:
Old 12-03-20, 05:45 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
I've haven't experienced that; my cables break in the shifter after 5 months (a common issue,) so I replace them every 3 months. With the newest generation Shimano brifters, one should just swap the cables often.

Old 12-03-20, 05:57 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
I've haven't experienced that; my cables break in the shifter after 5 months (a common issue,) so I replace them every 3 months. With the newest generation Shimano brifters, one should just swap the cables often.

I knew this happened but f***! 5 months is crap.

My cables usually last at least a couple of years and I almost never replace them because they're damaged, as I mostly do it because they start to have more friction than I like.

I sold my old mountaim bike with XTR cables that were 8 years old and endured more than 20.000km, and they worked well! that was an exception though, as most cables last me less.