Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Recommendation for swim goggles

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-11, 10:01 AM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I currently have a basic pair of Speedo goggles that are oval in shape and fit right on my eye sockets. They work very well, but they leave red indents on my face for about an hour after I take them off and it almost looks like I've got two black eyes. If I'm heading to work in the morning after a swim I get some weird looks. I've tried loosening the strap, but then water starts to leak in.

Would switching to goggles with a larger lens help? I've seen some with a triangular-shaped lens that don't look like they'd press on my eye sockets quite as much:

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 07-21-11, 11:12 AM
pharasz
Member from- uh... France

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I choose goggles using the "suck test". In the store, take them out of the package, and stick them onto your face without the strap holding them on. If they stick to your face purely due to air suction, you have the right fit. If they immediately fall off your face, they don't fit.
Old 07-25-11, 08:34 PM
pixelharmony

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TYR Nest Pros sit pretty comfortably on my face with great suction and little pressure. Then again everyone's face is a little different, but I love those goggles.
Old 07-26-11, 02:38 PM
Muffin Man
:)

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD12, Specialized Rockhopper, Norco Fluid FS1

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
vanquisher 2.0 in pink. awesome googles, i went through 2-4 hour swim practices during the school season and they were great. no red marks that i remember.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Vanquisher 2.0 Plus Pink.jpg (27.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-27-11, 10:25 AM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the recommendations!

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 07-27-11, 05:17 PM
Ale_z

Bikes: Scott Speedster S50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a competitive swimmer, and I swim for 2-3 hours every day, 6 days a week. I use TYR Velocity goggles, and they leave absolutely no marks. I've also used the Nest Pro, and they're super comfortable and left no marks.
Old 07-28-11, 11:47 AM
BartJ

Bikes: 08 Gaint TCR Advanced, 87 Specialized Sirrus, 07 G Fisher HiFi, 05 G Fisher Tass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This morning I used the Aqua Sphere Seal XP for the first time. I have thick eyebrows and making seal below them is very difficult. I have tried several different makes and styles of goggle. I just can never get a good comfortable fit that didn't leak or leave divits under and over my eyes. The Aqua Sphere Seal XP seals over the brow on top. As a result the google is a little bit bigger. But I really don't care. I swam for 45 mintues, not leaks and no marks when I got done. I am convinced there is no perfect goggle for everyone. Ale_z, I am going to try the TYR Velocity too! You never know what might work for you.
Old 07-28-11, 01:13 PM
TRG695

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've always used the in-socket types from being a competitive swimmer in my younger days, but tried the Aqua Sphere Kayennes in my last couple of triathlons and they have worked very well, especially in open water. They are a bit bigger and wider than competitive goggles, but still smaller and more compact than those "mask" types.
Old 07-29-11, 04:48 AM
BartJ

Bikes: 08 Gaint TCR Advanced, 87 Specialized Sirrus, 07 G Fisher HiFi, 05 G Fisher Tass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TRG695
I've always used the in-socket types from being a competitive swimmer in my younger days, but tried the Aqua Sphere Kayennes in my last couple of triathlons and they have worked very well, especially in open water. They are a bit bigger and wider than competitive goggles, but still smaller and more compact than those "mask" types.
I am thinking I might try some of the smaller, socket style, competitive goggles. I had leaks with the Kayennes. The Seals do concern me in open water swims with the chance of them getting knocked off. I worry more about leaks than marks. All marks eventionally go away. Leaks are a pain.
Old 07-29-11, 09:18 AM
TRG695

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BartJ
I am thinking I might try some of the smaller, socket style, competitive goggles. I had leaks with the Kayennes. The Seals do concern me in open water swims with the chance of them getting knocked off. I worry more about leaks than marks. All marks eventionally go away. Leaks are a pain.
Leaks probably boil down to fit. I personally haven't had leaking with the Kayennes in two open water swims of 1 and 1.2 miles. But the nosepiece is not adjustable, and I bet that could create some fit issues that could result in leaks.
Old 07-29-11, 10:51 AM
BartJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TRG695
Leaks probably boil down to fit. I personally haven't had leaking with the Kayennes in two open water swims of 1 and 1.2 miles. But the nosepiece is not adjustable, and I bet that could create some fit issues that could result in leaks.
Yea, my eyes are close together too. I will make sure to look for competitive goggles with adjustable nosepieces. Thanks.
Old 07-30-11, 01:38 AM
SRR

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Fuji Aloha, Giant OCR2, an older Giant XTC, and a couple of singlespeeds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love the Seal type masks. I've never been able to get in-socket goggles to work with my face, so finding/buying/trying my Aqua Sphere Seal XPs last year was very exciting.