Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bike Stand - Where to buy ?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-12, 07:33 AM
Shutter

Bikes: Vitus 992 x2, Miele, Cambio Rino, Rossin, Pinarello, CIOCC, Cannondale, Devinci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking for a simple bike stand. On tat is basically a small metal bracket that the rear wheel slides into. This would allow me to put bikes in my basement without having them leaning in stuff. Just a simple metal bracket that holds the rearwheel vertical so the bike will stand up on its own. I am in Toronto, Ontario...

Any ideas on where I might find one, or ideas on what I can use to do this? Possibly sonething that already exists for another purpose that I can modify so it works for this purpose??

Thanks!!
Old 01-23-12, 07:37 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Maybe a "Bikehand" is all you need. It's fine as long as you don't want to spin the back wheel for any reason.
I use one and it's perfect for my needs. (and it's cheap)

Old 01-23-12, 07:49 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

These are available almost everywhere. I have three of them and then bought a 8 bike stand like you see in front of stores. Then I bought 5 hoist systems to store bikes on the ceiling. Garage is getting a bit crowded.
Old 01-23-12, 08:54 AM
Shutter

Bikes: Vitus 992 x2, Miele, Cambio Rino, Rossin, Pinarello, CIOCC, Cannondale, Devinci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! The second kind would be better because several of my bikes have track nuts, I don't recall seeing them in Toronto at any stores??
Old 01-23-12, 09:12 AM
renton
Come on you Spurs!

Bikes: Trek 2.1, BMC Roadracer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought one of these (actually two)

at Gears Bike Shop for about $30 (each).
Old 01-23-12, 09:15 AM
mattinthecrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^Anyone know where to find that online? Google has helped surprisingly little.
Old 01-23-12, 09:45 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
If you are looking for something that is strictly for the rear wheel, I think any of these will work. However, if you want something that you can take with you on rides to keep from leaning your bike against something, try this folding stand from Topeak. It nice because you can use it in your garage as well as put it in your jersey pocket and take it with you.

Besides the stands shown above, here is a link for various types of stands available from Minoura (bottom of the page). I have the DS30 AL which allows the rear wheel to turn. It's great for cleaning and oiling the cassette and chain or for bringing your bike with you in a motel room.

Edit: Also, if you want something for multiple bikes for storage, you can build yourself a bike rack out of PVC that works quite well. I built one for the back of my truck to haul three bikes with. You can modify the plans and extend it to hold however many bikes your want. Just slide the front wheel in the rack and they stand upright with no problems. You could cover the angled parts with foam pipe insulation to protect the spokes. The material for that rack was less than $30.00 at Home Depot.

(The offset is for my wife's recumbent tadpole trike)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PVC Bike Rack.jpg (53.2 KB, 30 views)

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress

Last edited by John_V; 01-23-12 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-23-12, 09:53 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
you might want to try the little stand they have at velo orange. Might fit your bill for $20 and they say they also use it to do some repairs.

Old 01-23-12, 10:11 AM
mattinthecrown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^I love that DS-20N. Unfortunately, like the other stand, this one seems to be unavailable online. What is it with simple stands? It's like there's some conspiracy.

Edit: nevermind, that velo orange is similar and (miraculously) available.
Old 01-23-12, 11:13 AM
jmtomasz

Bikes: 2011 Wilier Izoard XP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a couple of these stands

https://www.realcyclist.com/feedback-...ay-system.html

No assembly required.
Old 01-23-12, 11:30 AM
WC89

Bikes: 2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
you might want to try the little stand they have at velo orange. Might fit your bill for $20 and they say they also use it to do some repairs.
I have this same stand and it's great for holding my bikes from the 1990s for storage and repairs; however, the problem is that IT WILL NOT FIT THE FATTER DOWNTUBES OF MODERN BIKES I'VE HAD IT FOR MANY YEARS BUT I UNDERSTAND IT'S STILL SOLD ONLINE BUT STILL WONT ACCEPT MODERN BIKE DOWNTUBES I can't believe it's being sold now and can't fit modern bikes!!!
Old 01-23-12, 08:31 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Originally Posted by WC89
I have this same stand and it's great for holding my bikes from the 1990s for storage and repairs; however, the problem is that IT WILL NOT FIT THE FATTER DOWNTUBES OF MODERN BIKES I'VE HAD IT FOR MANY YEARS BUT I UNDERSTAND IT'S STILL SOLD ONLINE BUT STILL WONT ACCEPT MODERN BIKE DOWNTUBES I can't believe it's being sold now and can't fit modern bikes!!!
well, velo orange doesn't really seem to care about modern aero-styled frames.

Old 01-23-12, 08:50 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jmtomasz
I have a couple of these stands

https://www.realcyclist.com/feedback-...ay-system.html

No assembly required.
+1 Feedback Sports bike stand works well!
Old 01-23-12, 09:34 PM
WarLordZ
Campagnolo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
Maybe a "Bikehand" is all you need. It's fine as long as you don't want to spin the back wheel for any reason.
I use one and it's perfect for my needs. (and it's cheap)

I like this one. Where can I buy this in black?
Old 01-23-12, 10:13 PM
triumph.1

Bikes: 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM,11 Bianchi Cavaria, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by renton
I bought one of these (actually two)

at Gears Bike Shop for about $30 (each).
I also bought two of these work really sweet.

I have one of these I no longer use, but it did work on a giant tcr frame and would probably work on any modern frame with a triangular down tube, probably cervelo, giant, trek off the top of my head. It does not fit my colnago.
Old 01-24-12, 04:58 PM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by WarLordZ
I like this one. Where can I buy this in black?
My local bike shop ordered it in for me, but they were available online too. Google `bikehand` or as an alternative, Giant sells them also in black.
Old 01-24-12, 11:12 PM
WarLordZ
Campagnolo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
My local bike shop ordered it in for me, but they were available online too. Google `bikehand` or as an alternative, Giant sells them also in black.
Thank you! I actually ordered a couple made by SINZ in white powder coat. You can find them here: https://www.twohubs.com/p-420-sinz-bike-stand.aspx
Old 01-25-12, 11:09 AM
dgasmd
shedding fat

Bikes: LOOK 595 Ultra/Campy Record 10Sp, restored Guerciotti/Campy C-Record 6 Sp, TIME RXR/Campy SR 11Sp, and Colnago C-60 with Campagnolo SR 11sp.

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bbattle

Have had these before and noticed the spokes rub against the sides of the stand. Some wheels even get the spokes compressed to be able to get the wheel entirely in. I can't use these with my LightWeight wheels since they have carbon spokes.

This is nice, but as pointed out, it does not play well with carbon bikes that have other than round tubes. I use them in my older steel bikes, for which it works amazingly well.

I will try some of the other 2 models shown here. The side one and the one with the spring loaded arm.
Old 01-25-12, 11:14 AM
triumph.1

Bikes: 12 Bianchi Oltre VDCM,11 Bianchi Cavaria, 13 Bianchi Cavaria,12 Bianchi infinito, couple vintage Bianchi's and a 1980 alan super record

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dgasmd
it does not play well with carbon bikes that have other than round tubes.
This is not an accurate statement. From my experience It works fine on a giant which is a pretty common triangular tube.
Old 01-25-12, 07:55 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a little shocked those simple stands like BikeHand sell for $30-$35. I couldn't even google that kind of stand up a few weeks ago when I was looking for more storage. I had a Feedback Sports Rakk stand that I originally saw at the LBS and had them order one for me, and I just got a few more because they link together to store your fleet all in a row (or a semi-circle or whatever shape you wish). It's not as minimalist, but they are very sturdy and hold the bikes up very well, even my MTB.
Old 07-19-12, 09:54 AM
asindc

Bikes: 1993 Trek Antelope 850 mountain bike; 2002 LeMond Alpe d'Huez; 2005 Orbea Onix TDF; 2015 Bianchi Infinito.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle

These are available almost everywhere. I have three of them and then bought a 8 bike stand like you see in front of stores. Then I bought 5 hoist systems to store bikes on the ceiling. Garage is getting a bit crowded.
The first stand in the post above is one I see in photos everywhere, but my google search does not turn it up at all. What is it called and where can I find it?
Old 07-19-12, 10:01 AM
polobreaka

Bikes: Leader 722ts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asindc
The first stand in the post above is one I see in photos everywhere, but my google search does not turn it up at all. What is it called and where can I find it?
if you copy the image url, it takes you to overstock.com
here is the item you're looking for https://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...4/product.html
Old 07-19-12, 10:03 AM
St_Pete_Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asindc
I had two the black plastic stand (from my LBS)... both broke - the plastic was weak.
Old 07-19-12, 10:15 AM
asindc

Bikes: 1993 Trek Antelope 850 mountain bike; 2002 LeMond Alpe d'Huez; 2005 Orbea Onix TDF; 2015 Bianchi Infinito.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by polobreaka
if you copy the image url, it takes you to overstock.com
here is the item you're looking for https://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...4/product.html
Originally Posted by St_Pete_Speed
I had two the black plastic stand (from my LBS)... both broke - the plastic was weak.
Thanks, guys.
Old 07-19-12, 10:25 AM
Scorer75

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...d37bb61cf9d7f6

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.