Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

26 vs 20 rear wheels

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

26 vs 20 rear wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-20, 07:24 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Actually the simple answer is to set you gear inches to what you want by changing chain rings and the rear cluster.

And for what its worth, when I changed to the 26" rear wheel, it raised the seat about an inch and lowered the BB about at inch. It put the BB right down to where you would not want it any lower because of heel drag. On another good note it keeps your knees from flashing in front of your face as you pedal. I am well satisfied with the change to the 26" rear wheel.

Last edited by rydabent; 07-08-20 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-23-20, 08:01 PM
Schwinnhund
Gearhead

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Sidewinder, Sun EZ-1 Recumbent, Cannondale R-400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Baldy1953
My wife and I are currently looking at buying recumbent trikes. A lbs owner told me they would travel at the same speed regardless of the size of the rear wheel with the gearing and cadence being the same . I do not believe that to be correct. I thought I would ask the "experts" here if that is the case.
Also, when choosing, which one would you prefer 26" or 20". From what I would think having all 3 wheels the same dia. would make it a better idea so when riding, you would only have to carry 1 size tube and tire if so inclined to take a tire along.

Currently looking at a Terra trike rover and similar Cattrike. Have also looked at recumbent rike tandems, but those look like would be a hassle to transport even more so than a recumbent trike.
I can't say for sure. Moine (EZ-1) has a 26" rear wheel, and a 20" in front. It is very maneuverable, I am sure because of the 20" front wheel. I would think a 26" real wheel would be better because since it is a standard-sized wheel, you would have a much wider choice of tires for it. Just my opinion.