Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shall I invest in a new bike or a power meter?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shall I invest in a new bike or a power meter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-20, 08:00 PM
luismboc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Considering you still have a bike with Tiagra groupset, you are either new to cycling (otherwise you would have bought a 'better bike' already), not taking it seriously ('otherwise you would have bought a better bike or power meter already'), or budget constraint ('otherwise you wouldn't have bought a bike with Tiagra groupset to begin with'). None of these are issues, but none of these make sense for buying a power meter. Use your heart rate to train. Buy a new bike. Keep improving and revisit power meter decision down the road (no pun intended). I thought for the longest time that I needed a power meter. Got disproved of that fantasy. Go ride, have fun and enjoy shopping for a new bike.
Old 03-22-20, 12:08 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Okay, to be clear, you're confusing the main issue: don't frame is as better bike vs power meter - frame it as "a properly sized and fit bike vs power meter." If *that's* the question, it's not much of a question - get the right sized/fit bike.
Yes, all sorts of issues gets conflated.

Its true, a bike that fits is important, but you he doesnt need carbon to get that. - And Tiagra is fine.

Imo bike fits is largely superfluous (and subject to the whim and personal beliefs of the fitter) unless you have no idea at all how a bike should fit.
Old 03-22-20, 03:43 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Yes, all sorts of issues gets conflated.
Its true, a bike that fits is important, but you he doesnt need carbon to get that. - And Tiagra is fine.
Imo bike fits is largely superfluous (and subject to the whim and personal beliefs of the fitter) unless you have no idea at all how a bike should fit.
One can get by with a size small or larger on a road bike, but the OP plans to do a triathlon and will be using either a tri bike or adding clip-on bars to the bike (at the very least - else why pay for coaching and give up free speed?). In that case, bike fit becomes VERY important.
Old 03-22-20, 03:57 AM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by guadzilla
One can get by with a size small or larger on a road bike, but the OP plans to do a triathlon and will be using either a tri bike or adding clip-on bars to the bike (at the very least - else why pay for coaching and give up free speed?). In that case, bike fit becomes VERY important.
I didnt advice to get a bike that is too small or too big, or that it doesnt matter. I said "Its true, a bike that fits is important"

Getting a bike that fits is not the same as getting a bike fit, and one does not absolutely depend on the other, and getting a bike fit does not guarantee anything.

Its a bizarre idea that you need a carbon bike and a bike fit to qualify for getting some coaching, like wtf?

Last edited by Racing Dan; 03-22-20 at 04:02 AM.
Old 03-22-20, 04:15 AM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by diana101
I feel my bike has a longer top tube which makes reach a little stretched out even though I have a very short stem already.

He always comments on how I need an carbon bike as it's faster, lighter than an aluminum which I disagree with as you can get top of the range aluminum frames! He always disregards and talks down my aluminum frame. Honestly I think being a stronger rider comes before flashy equipment. The flashy gear won't make me fast if I'm slow let's say. Don't you think?
Imo, the first thing you should upgrade is the coach. What a d!ck :-)
Old 03-22-20, 04:38 AM
downhillmaster

Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
As an amateur adult, you are spending your free time by paying someone to help you and having to listen to them talk bad about your bike?
There are about 8 ways I could see me handling that situation and none of them end with me quietly complying by buying a new bike and also staying with the coach.

If the bike doesnt fit, then by all means get something that's comfortable. That's obvious.

Good luck.
Huh?
If the bike is indeed a poor fit the coach is not talking bad about anything. His client references spending money on a power meter so he instead repeats the fact that she should instead spend money on a better bike that fits.

Last edited by downhillmaster; 03-22-20 at 04:42 AM.
Old 03-22-20, 05:09 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
I didnt advice to get a bike that is too small or too big, or that it doesnt matter. I said "Its true, a bike that fits is important"
Getting a bike that fits is not the same as getting a bike fit, and one does not absolutely depend on the other, and getting a bike fit does not guarantee anything.

Its a bizarre idea that you need a carbon bike and a bike fit to qualify for getting some coaching, like wtf?
I am talking about bike fit - which is both a correctly sized bike (which the OP doesnt have, as per her coach) and well as a proper fit. And we will have to agree to disagree on the above, cos IMO:
- Having the correct sized bike makes getting a correct fit a lot easier - so the one does depend on the other
- For triathlons, where there are a lot of variables to adjust, having a professional fitter set up the bike makes a HUGE difference. Does it guarantee anything? No. But it sure as heck increases the odds of getting it right, to the point that the rider can then make additional tweaks on their own.

Also, not sure where you are getting the idea that one needs are carbon bike to get coaching - havent seen that anywhere in this thread, maybe i missed it.
Old 03-22-20, 08:19 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
He always disregards and talks down my aluminum frame.
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Huh?
If the bike is indeed a poor fit the coach is not talking bad about anything.
er...
Old 03-22-20, 09:19 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
@diana101 Welcome to bike forums. Soon you will be at 10 posts and then you can post a pick of you on your bike. Also, you may want to tell us about yourself and your goals.

My question is do you see your coach in person or email him files of the workouts you do per his customized prescribed workouts?

I have used several coaches and bike fitters over the years. The first matter at hand is your ability to achieve a posture on the bike and the second is the goal where a certain posture on the bike is typical for athletes competing in that event. For example, a brevet rider may want a more upright position versus a criterium racer. And each athlete would chose a different bike and then customize it for the individual kinesiology.

Maybe your coach is telling you that your current bike is inadequate for your intended goals and the fit is way off. He may not want you to spend time training and developing strength and adaptation on a bike in a position that does match your event. He may feel that a new carbon bike with a custom fit would a boost to your morale. The mental aspect of training is at times more important than physiology.

A power meter is the best tool to generate data that can be sent to a coach for review and comment. He can see power in the zone, force versus cadence and power versus heart rate among many other variables depending on the power meter. Some coaches are very good at using power data to help their clients improve and others not good at all. Some coaches do not believe in power meters. So there is that.

Since you have a coach, you need to develop communication with him to let him know your goals and concerns and then listen to what he has to say. If it makes sense to you, follow the advice. If it does not, then interview other coaches. YMMV.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 03-22-20, 10:19 AM
Theypeedonmyrug
Banned.

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domain SLR6

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 17 Posts
If you can afford a new better bike, you should always be on the lookout for any excuse to get it. Your coach has given you a very decent excuse, so I say jump on it. I used a flimsy pretext to get a new pricey bike a year ago that I really didn't need, and I am very happy I did every time I ride it or even just look at when I go into my garage.
Likes For Theypeedonmyrug:
Old 03-22-20, 04:14 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Hello everyone, so my coach has been telling me to invest in a new, better carbon bike. I currently ride an aluminium bike with shimano Tiagra groupset. He's telling me not to purchase a power meter unless i get a new bike with professional fitting to ensure the power i put through my my riding is efficient as he says i currently have a poor fit on my current bike.

He claims its more important to get a better bike with better rims/wheels than a power meter.

What do you guys think?
Treat yourself and get a new bike. If not, at least get your bike fitted to your specs. You'll thank me later.
Old 03-13-22, 06:31 AM
pickings

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@diana101 Dude, that's a tough question! A healthy lifestyle and sports are in trend today. And one of the most popular types of fitness is cycling. In addition, it is also the most environmentally friendly mode of transport.
Old 03-13-22, 03:56 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I'd be getting a new bike that fits. Then you can get a power meter. It seems pretty clear to me.
Old 03-13-22, 05:02 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
Not everyone has the money to drop on a new carbon bike, maybe go to a experienced bike shop you could tell you if your current bike could be adjusted to fit you.
Old 03-13-22, 05:33 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
What do you guys think?
It seems like you don't want to buy a new bike. So, just tell your coach you're going to stick with the bike you have.
Old 03-13-22, 05:37 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Two year old thread, folks - someone used their first post to raise the dead.
Old 03-13-22, 10:11 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Crap. OP hasn't been seen in two years and is probably on rollerblades by now.
Likes For Chandne:
Old 03-13-22, 11:36 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,297 Times in 2,947 Posts
Oops.
Old 03-14-22, 03:59 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22598 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Is there a word for that?
Old 03-14-22, 04:26 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
Crap. OP hasn't been seen in two years and is probably on rollerblades by now.