Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Any opinions on the Day6 Dream?

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 06-09-08, 09:40 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

https://day6bicycles.com/

Just curious as to whether this was a legit 'bent...
Old 06-10-08, 05:13 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Technically, the seat is mounted to a seatpost, and the seat back is pretty much unnecessary; so it's not a recumbent, it's a crank forward. 7-speed rear marks it as most likely low quality stuff. Beyond that, there's not much info. It'd make a good competitor to the Electra Townie, if the price was right - but we don't know the price! Or the weight, or the componentry...
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 08-28-09, 08:11 PM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Its actually a semi-recumbent so its somewhere between a full 'bent and a crank forward. There are a number of semi designs out now for those who can't or don't want a bent yet still want the comfort and speed it offers.
Old 08-28-09, 10:40 PM
leverleg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Giant Revive rides fabulous. The Day 6 ergonomic looks the same. I ride full bents too, so I can compare. The crank-forward with back bolster IMHO is the most "posture neutral" of all designs. There's not that "recumbutt" effect from compressing the glutes. I have no doubt the Day 6 feels like a lighterweight version of my now-discontinued 41lb Revive. Look it up on the Google "IMAGE" tab to notice how similar the two bikes are.
Old 08-29-09, 05:57 AM
Doug5150

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
https://day6bicycles.com/

Just curious as to whether this was a legit 'bent...
Who cares if it's "legit"? If you like it, ride it. Unless you're doing sanctioned racing, there are no rules.

------

That said, there's a couple things about it I would be wary of.

On a bike that has the pedals shifted far forward--in order to pedal very hard at all, you either need a VERY solid seat-back to push against, or you need VERY solid handlebars to pull on. True recumbnts all use a solid seat-back to push against but with the Day6, the seatback does not look to be built very sturdy; my suspicion is that it's simply not a bike intended to ever be pedaled hard at all (especially considering the lack of full-range gearing). Additionally, the handlebars are tall and mounted on a low stem and if you pulled on them very hard, they would very likely slip in the stem and rotate backwards (so they're no good for pulling on to pedal hard, either).

Another issue is the saddle. The main reason these bikes have the pedals shifted forwards is to try to relieve saddle pain. If the pedals are not under the seat location, you can use a noseless saddle, and avoid the various physiology problems caused by the saddle nose totally.... so why then are two of the three Day6 seat choices conventional bicycle saddles? If you're redesigning a bicycle frame to try to avoid the pain caused by a normal bicycle seat, then it really doesn't make sense to keep using the same type of seat. .....There are other noseless seats that might fit the Day6, so you may have other options there.

I've never rode or even seen a Day6 (or rode a Revive, for that matter) but I would guess that it's only good for very casual (moderate-effort, moderate-distance) riding. Certainly there are people who only want that, and I understand this..... but there's other choices that could do everything this bike does well, and without its limitations.

-----

As an alternative, I would strongly suggest you look into the RANS crank-forward bikes. The RANs bikes are done better overall, and use a better type of noseless seat. They do start at around twice as much, but then, a bicycle that hurts too much to ride is no bargain at any price.
~
Old 08-29-09, 01:33 PM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
They can be ridden a considerable distance and the bent-inspired seating helps with the comfort. To ride them, you either pull down on the handlebar or you push against the seat back for leverage. And they can be quite fast so not as fast as a true bent. The difference is there's no learning curve because they act and feel like a standard DF bike. You just get on and ride.
Old 08-29-09, 02:16 PM
jeffh129

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm doing some spring cleaning ( in August ) and came across the Aug/ Oct 2007 issue of Recumbent Cyclist News. It is now defunct, but "back in the day" it was considered "the" recumbent information source. Mailing and printing costs forced them to cease publishing in early 2008 I believe.

Anyway the had a nice full page review of the Day 6. They sum up it as such.

High Points: Comfortable, Unique, Affordable, Surprisingly good quality & very rider friendly

Low Points: Only 21 gears, Seat back flex, wide seat base may be uncomfortable for some, performance / climbing not quite up to par.

He calls it a decent semi recumbent for the casual cyclist who wants to ride local trails, around the neighborhood and causal fun and fitness riding. For more serious cycling ambitions, he recommends looking towards more performance oriented full recumbents.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-29-09, 04:11 PM
NormanF

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I think that's an entirely fair verdict Recumbent Forum posters would agree with. A nice write up on the pro and cons of semi-recumbents in that magazine. Thanks for bringing it to our attention!
Old 09-04-09, 04:47 PM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffh129
Low Points: Only 21 gears...
Having "only 21 gears" is a low point? That one remark alone put a huge dent in that review's credibility, but whom am I to say? Then the other remark about the "wide seat seat base may be uncomfortable for some" is also redundant. Seats, and saddles will feel different to different people, so counting that as a "low point" was unnecessary.

More on topic: I have seen several of these Day 6 bikes being ridden on the local MUP and in my neighborhood. On one occasion, I have a chance to look at one pretty close. It was the 7 speed model and the build quality looked excellent. The rider, a woman who appeared to be in her 30's, seemed most happy, and comfortable on her Day 6.

Years ago, I used to own a similar bike, a Giant Revive, and to this day, I feel that bicycle had the most logical ergonomics. It was a bliss to ride. The Day 6 might be very close.

So is it a "legit" bike? Absolutely yes.

Edward Wong III
"Bentless in Orlando, FL"
Old 09-04-09, 06:26 PM
jeffh129

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Direct quote from the review ..." The 17 inch wide seat base is comfier than the cruiser base ( the standard seat base ) when you sit on it.However once you start riding, you'll find that the 17 inch wide base causes your hips to pivot up and down. It also seemed to make me ride higher on the bike. The 17 inch base also came into contact with the backs of my thighs, which seemed to suck the power out of my stroke on climbs. Designer Hutson said that people either liked the 17 inch base or they didn't. But the people who liked it, liked it a lot."

As the large seat is one of it's major selling points it is important for people to know that it might not be right for them.

By the way... Wheel and Sprocket in Wisconsin told me the exact same thing when they carried this bike. They liked it, but said the wide seat was a love it or hate it kind of thing.

Last edited by jeffh129; 09-04-09 at 06:32 PM.
Old 09-04-09, 08:11 PM
altozwei

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just saw one of these for sale on Ebay this morning. Someone bought the 21 speed model but never assembled it. If you want to give one a try, it's probably a good deal. :-)
Old 09-04-09, 08:42 PM
brad3104

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
How is 21 speeds not enough? are u kidding me? I'm actually stripping the front der/shifters off my Vision R50 tonight and selling them because ive never shifted out of the middle cog since ive owned the bike and never plan to. Nice simple 9 speed

Old 09-09-16, 03:36 PM
Starsax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love my Day 6 Dream

I realize this is an old thread, but I did want to put out there that I have had a Day 6 I bought almost seven years ago, and I love it. It is very comfortable to ride, and has stood up well. It is very well made.
My style of riding is commuting, so I haven't put any 8+ hour rides on it, but I have put enough miles on it to know that the backrest and seat are comfortable and the pedals are well located for power and cruising.
Old 09-09-16, 07:12 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Yes, this is a pretty old Zombie Thread. Welcome to BF and glad you like your crank forward Day 6 bike.
(No, they are not recumbent bikes.)
Old 09-09-16, 11:39 PM
Starsax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First day here and have already been taken to task....typical forum. Bye
Old 09-10-16, 11:56 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Too bad the OP is so sensitive. It makes sense to start a new thread and perhaps copy a section or two out of the old one as most of us don't realized it's a zombie thread until we have read through it.
Old 09-10-16, 08:44 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Too bad the OP is so sensitive. It makes sense to start a new thread and perhaps copy a section or two out of the old one as most of us don't realized it's a zombie thread until we have read through it.
I didn't use any swear words, did I?
Old 04-11-20, 03:37 AM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Been riding a day 6 about 3 years

It's a well made bike. You can pull on the handle bar and they don't move, or push aginst the back of the seat that is comparable to the comfort of a recliner. I did knock it over and have to replace the gear shifter.
about the only complaint I have is it weighs a ton. And like a Cadillac the turning radius sucks. Plus it takes extra room to store. My bikes live inside the house so that makes it harder. But that seat is so comfortable , no numb butt here.
the back of the seat is removable .
, once my legs got used to the extra work they have to do I no longer needed it to lean against. Used it in almost all weather, except snow and ice and it holds up. Was still able to ride with bad frozen shoulder, and crappy back. I ride at least twice a week year round with a group. And now that pool is closed in between too.
it's built to last, not a crappy bike but off road is out, the wheel base is too long. The seat is adjustable forward and backward as well as height. So that way it can be more like a recumbent or move forward and out, more upright. The nice thing is being able to touch ground while still seated, that has saved my bacon a time or two from falling.
I rode a different bike today an Electra Electric bike and wow had I forgotten how uncomfortable those seats can be. Though it was easy and really nice to easily keep up with everyone I'm not sure I got as good a workout . I did notice the longer front end on day 6 makes it smoother ride on hands.
Old 04-11-20, 09:02 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
The website is still up and running but does not list an MSRP for the bike. They claim a pile of dealers across the US but when I picked a couple at random from their list and visited the store websites not one listed the bike as one they sell. One shop still on the dealer list has been closed for a while and is no longer even in existence. You can sometimes get an idea of the MSRP on the bicycle blue book website. Pretty expensive for what you get compared to an entry level road bike.

The last time BBB listed the bikes was in 2017. There were a couple of models.

Dream8 - 8 speed conventional drive train with entry level components $900 Electric version is $2,650

Journey - 7 speed nexus internal hub with entry level components, rim brakes $1,140

Patriot - 24 speed with entry level components, disc brakes $1,280

Sampson- entry level components, 24 speed with disc brakes $1,400
Old 04-12-20, 07:16 PM
Marci

Bikes: My Day 6, Big Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I do remember that just after I bought mine they sold the business and it moved back east, If I remember right it started in the PNW. I paid 450 for mine used. They have a facebook page and I have been in touch since the seat was not getting tight but we got that fixed since it was our fault we used a screw that had too big a top and it wouldn't go between the metal pieces. (that I have no clue what they are called.) Luckily we figured that out before I ordered a new one. The seat is SOOOOO comfy, It has spoiled me for other bike seats. I tried an electra and I think I will be sticking with what I have and adding a electric wheel for the hills, It can be a bear on going up hill. https://www.facebook.com/day6bicycles
I do know as I ride I get more comments on how cool it looks. I think it may be the only one in town. This you tube video is from Sept 2019
I have the Dream 24 and I think I have had it 3 years, bought used to probably at least a 2016, maybe 2015? From their website the prices go from 889. for the Dream 8 to 1509 for the fat tire version. I know when I bought mine the Dream 24 was listed at over 1000. it has gotten a little less expensive. Of course making them electric adds more to it. The electric Electra that I tried out is 1500, and I really believe this is a better built bike. It just rides smoother. Plus it is easier on my back, one of the reasons why I switched to this type of bike. My back feel better when I get off not worse. But the electric option I think will help my knees on the bigger hills. i will have to start a new thread on the wheel I want to get.