Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is a fork that's bent slightly sideways safe to ride?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-20, 07:57 PM
ASMike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The fork's bent in such a way that the brake side of the fork is now almost vertical when looking from the front. The rake also seem a little shorter. The fork can easily fit a 35c tyre so it didn't have that big of a width difference from the top of the fork to the bottom, but it's still noticeable. I was wondering if this is structurally safe to ride in the meantime, for the fork and the front wheel, as I had to shorten the spokes on the brake side to make the typre somewhat centered.

Also, should I replace it with a carbon one or another aluminium one? I've managed to find some from Ebay that's AUD95 for a Lutu Al Fork, and AUD150 for a Toseek Carbon Fork.

I'm not experienced with the pricing on parts and their quality, so are these prices decent?

Cheers.
Old 04-18-20, 08:08 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...if it's aluminum, I would not personally ride it after that much distortion. Aluminum can fail pretty spectacularly, and there is some question about how the crown is joined to the steerer tube, which can vary with the manufacturer..
Old 04-18-20, 08:16 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
No, it's not safe to ride. I also wouldn't trust a carbon fork from eBay. How did the fork get bent? If it's a crash, there's likely frame damage too.
Old 04-18-20, 08:33 PM
ASMike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...if it's aluminum, I would not personally ride it after that much distortion. Aluminum can fail pretty spectacularly, and there is some question about how the crown is joined to the steerer tube, which can vary with the manufacturer..

Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
No, it's not safe to ride. I also wouldn't trust a carbon fork from eBay. How did the fork get bent? If it's a crash, there's likely frame damage too.
Ok I'll take the fork off then, just so I'm not tempted to ride the bike.

Yeah the fork was bent in a crash. Ran over a median curb on the road and then went into the pedestrian curb at maybe 15-20km/h. I can't tell if there's any damage in the frame, no cracks or anything. The front wheel was destroyed in the process so perhaps it took most of the force.
Old 04-18-20, 09:10 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,312 Posts
Metal frame rarely crack from impact. That might come miles later...

Agree the bike should not be ridden till some one who knows this stuff has a look.

I take it you are OK? Andy
Old 04-18-20, 09:29 PM
ASMike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Metal frame rarely crack from impact. That might come miles later...

Agree the bike should not be ridden till some one who knows this stuff has a look.

I take it you are OK? Andy
Hmm ok I'll keep that in mind.

Yeah, it was a a few months ago. The only thing left is to do some physio on my wrist after I fractured it.

That said, is there any way I can make removing the crown race easier? It's not really budging with a hammer and flathead screwdriver.
Old 04-18-20, 09:51 PM
ASMike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a bit of a workaround, here's some image of the bike.

imgur.com/a/kGh4c7M
Old 04-18-20, 10:25 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,312 Posts
Those fork crowns that hide the race edges are just bad design IMO. These are easier if you can drive a knife edged "blade" under the race at different points around the crown. The goal is to wedge the race up bit by bit until you can move onto a thicker blade (screwdriver) and continue the wedging up. Park's big race remover can sometimes grab the race edge but not always until a gap is starting.

For a disk braked fork that's some strong force to bend it. Andy
Old 04-18-20, 11:29 PM
ASMike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok I'll take a shot at it. Cheers. Edit: ayy it worked~

The bend might've been the result of two incidents. Before the crash, my pedals got caught by a hump on the road and fell off the bike. The fall was enough to bend my handlebar, and I did have trouble getting the disc brake to stop rubbing. But I thought i might've just bend the caliper mount slightly.

Maybe they just rebranded a chinese fork, I feel like some of the ebay offerings do look similar.

Edit: Just out of curiousity, I tried squeezing the end of the fork together with my hand.... Am I suppose to be able to squeeze like half a centimetre in?

Last edited by ASMike; 04-19-20 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-20-20, 03:30 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
You should be able to show a picture now. The fork is distorted enough so that the previous advice would be well to be heeded (e.g. don't ride that fork).

Can't tell easily but the frame doesn't look obviously destroyed. Have someone who knows look at it. They'll lay a straightedge on the top and down tubes to look for a hump caused by the crash, and they'll look for cracks in the paint to show any bending.

Nice to know that they spell WD-40 "WD-40" in Australian as well.