Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

I bought some Bontrager AW3 tires are they going to be too heavy for road biking??

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

I bought some Bontrager AW3 tires are they going to be too heavy for road biking??

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-20, 07:37 PM
GeorgePatton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think I messed up and bought the wrong tires. I like going fast on my road bike and I havent had that many problems on my factory road bike tires. I eventually got a flat that wasnt fixable on my tires after 3k miles. I went in an bought the bontrager AW3 tires and now i realize they are a heavy all weather tire. Am I going to notice they are really heavy when I bike? Should I have bought the R3 with hardcase? I had the bike shop install them and I have yet to ride them yet. I dont really bike in the winter. I mostly bike on smooth paths or road.
Old 06-01-20, 07:54 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 184 Posts
These tires? They look fine to me for road tires. By "all weather", they mean rain or dry, not snow. You'd go nowhere with those skinny tires in snow.
Old 06-01-20, 08:13 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Well if you already paid the bike shop to install them you're stuck

Next time research before purchase not after

They'll work fine, just ride a little rougher and slower than a good tire
Considering how important tires are you should consider trash canning them rather than ride on mediocre tires for the next year

Last edited by Tacoenthusiast; 06-01-20 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-01-20, 08:54 PM
bung

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5, Trek Fuel EX7, Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
I doubt you’d notice the 50gram difference in weight.
Likes For bung:
Old 06-01-20, 09:15 PM
GeorgePatton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bung
I doubt you’d notice the 50gram difference in weight.
the box says the tires are 300g each. I picked up my old road bike tires and they feel really light. I'm worried these tires will be too heavy to get going to like 20+mph. It only cost me 13 dollars to install them at the bike shop so not a really big loss.
Old 06-01-20, 09:17 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgePatton
I think I messed up and bought the wrong tires. I like going fast on my road bike and I havent had that many problems on my factory road bike tires. I eventually got a flat that wasnt fixable on my tires after 3k miles. I went in an bought the bontrager AW3 tires and now i realize they are a heavy all weather tire. Am I going to notice they are really heavy when I bike? Should I have bought the R3 with hardcase? I had the bike shop install them and I have yet to ride them yet. I dont really bike in the winter. I mostly bike on smooth paths or road.
Since they are already on your bike, why don't you ride them and then you tell us whether you notice any difference. (I put Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires on my bike, knowing they are heavy, because I was getting so many flats, and I don't notice any difference from the weight. They do seem to be firmer, but as far as I can tell, they are not slowing me doiwn. And I haven't had a flat in six months.)
Old 06-01-20, 09:39 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgePatton
Am I going to notice they are really heavy when I bike?
Changing weight at the rims can have a noticeable gyroscopic effect on a bike, especially when tossing it around out of the saddle at speed.
Adding weight to the tires will also create more gravitational resistance to climbing, and inertial resistance to acceleration. But, these effects are generally very small when looking at the overall bike+rider system: for an 80kg bike+rider, adding a whopping 200g at the tires will increase gravitational resistance by .25% and inertial resistance by .5%. These are not casually-noticeable differences.
Bicycle weight increases generally have practically zero impact on flat-ground cruising speeds.

Tire selection can have a big impact on road performance, but this is mostly as a result of rolling resistance, not weight. Beefier, stiffer tires tend to have more rolling resistance than lightly-built supple tires. For this reason, fast tires are lighter than slow tires, on average.

Originally Posted by Random11
I put Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires on my bike, knowing they are heavy, because I was getting so many flats, and I don't notice any difference from the weight. They do seem to be firmer, but as far as I can tell, they are not slowing me doiwn.
What tires are you comparing them to and how carefully are you doing the comparing? I haven't personally ridden Marathon Plus, but I can easily feel the drop in performance that my friends have on them when in group rides (relative to the same person on performance-oriented road tires), and the data coming off the power meter is pretty alarming as well.
Old 06-01-20, 09:52 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
It's more than just weight, it's rolling resistance too

So you may have to put out 15-20 more watts than someone with more efficient tires in order to go the same speed on the flat. Turn that uphill and you fight the rolling resistance and the weight

They will work, but they are robbing you of performance and that's not fun
Old 06-01-20, 10:00 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
What tires are you comparing them to and how carefully are you doing the comparing?
Not a rigorous comparison, I admit. The OP asked if he would notice the difference, and my ride feels pretty much the same to me. I'm sure these tires are slower just from the reading I've done about them, but mostly I ride by myself so I'm not so concerned about how fast I'm actually going, but how the bike feels to me when I'm riding. I'm sure my tires aren't the fastest, but I'm not sure you'd notice the difference unless you were competing.
Old 06-02-20, 10:31 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
You are most likely never going to be happy with those tires because in the back of your mind there is always that regret. Talk to the shop, if the AW tires have never been ridden on they might just take them back. You never know until you ask. Worse case, purchase the new tires and sell off the AW's. Yes, you will take a loss but that is the price you pay for not being diligent.

I don't think I could ever ride those tires and it is not all about the weight. Thread count and pliability also play a part in the comfort and feel of a tire. I personally don't like stiff side wall tires and that is why I ride Grand Bois or Rene Herse tires. Suppleness is something that I look for in a tire. I don't care about speed, I care about feel. My Domane came with R2's and I think they are pig of a tire and they were replaced after three rides. I would like to try the 32 mm R3's which I will purchase next.
Old 06-02-20, 01:58 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
You likely won't notice the weight but the increased rolling resistance will certainly slow you down a bit. Whether or not that's significant enough to matter is another thing.
Old 06-02-20, 05:24 PM
GeorgePatton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I took them out on a ride and something just didnt feel right about them. I called the lbs and they agreed to exchange them and install them for me. I got the R3 bontrager tires instead. The weird thing is I checked my old tires and they were 290g but they felt really light when i pick them up. The AW3 tires were 300g. These new tires are 200g a piece so even lighter!
Old 06-02-20, 06:09 PM
Dancing Skeleton

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
I use AW3's on my Project One Domane in the off-season & in loudsy weather. I absolutely love those tires, they roll nice & I've never had a flat with them.
I use R3's in-season, which are lighter, but more flat-prone (one every ~1,000 miles), I've been happy with those since I bought my Domane in 2013.
I think that I like the older version better than the new ones. I haven't tried the TLR's yet.