Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Changing Campagnolo RD cage size?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-20, 12:40 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts

I am trying to build up new road bike for my daughter using mainly parts I have laying around (she's outgrowing her 24" wheeled mtb and I happened onto a 48 cm road frame that I thought might work as the next size up for her). The wheels I have available are some I built a few years back with Chorus hubs and I have some 10 speed Centaur ergos, so I'd like to keep things campagnolo based (well, sort of). I have a mtb triple crankset and matching FD from shimano (lower end but with a 44T large ring, it seems about the right size), and that should work as the multiple clicks on the Campagnolo left shifter allow the use of many FDs (not that I've tried it as I've only used them with Campagnolo FD's in the past, but that's my understanding). What I don't have in my parts stash is an acceptable RD. I have a Centaur RD, but it's short cage. I think I have a broken RD that's either long cage or racing T (so made for a triple but 9 speed) somewhere. If I can dig that out (or find one elsewhere), is it possible for me to just swap the cages and have one working RD that'll work for a triple? Is there a source for cages to do this if I can't find it? Or are the cages somehow integral to the mechanism of the derailleur and not swappable? Thanks.
Old 06-08-20, 12:57 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
I have swapped Campy rear derailleur cages. This only works if you are swapping parts between similar generations of derailleurs. Record with the titanium fixing bolt is unique. Chorus has a steel fixing bolt, and doesn't seem to want to work with Record. But every other model from Athena/Daytona/Centaur and down is generally cross-compatible.

Look at the back of the derailleur: see the tiny thin c-clip that holds everything together? You have to carefully pry this off, and hunt it down when it shoots onto your workshop floor.
Old 06-08-20, 01:08 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
I have swapped Campy rear derailleur cages. This only works if you are swapping parts between similar generations of derailleurs. Record with the titanium fixing bolt is unique. Chorus has a steel fixing bolt, and doesn't seem to want to work with Record. But every other model from Athena/Daytona/Centaur and down is generally cross-compatible.

Look at the back of the derailleur: see the tiny thin c-clip that holds everything together? You have to carefully pry this off, and hunt it down when it shoots onto your workshop floor.
Ah, finding that c-clip doesn't sound fun.

Good to know that they may be swappable depending on what it turns out I have in my parts bin. Thanks.
Old 06-08-20, 04:15 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
When I worked on autos we called them "s*** clips" You would hear a "ping" noise, then "S***!".
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 06-10-20, 08:16 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1303 Post(s)
Liked 1,910 Times in 1,140 Posts
The appliance guys call them Jesus clips for the same reasons. They are always available in the local hardware stores. I keep a bag of them around for those that do just that when repairing rear derailleurs. Smiles, MH