Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

2008 Look 595 Headset

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

2008 Look 595 Headset

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-20, 02:41 AM
PkF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 Look 595 Headset

I have slack in my headset that I have not been able to eliminate. The frame is perfect. If possible does anyone know where I can get a full headset set, including the split races that support the bearings in the frame. Alternatively I have a Hope Hsc8 upper bearing that has everything except the split race. Should I install this into the race or directly onto the carbon headset? Am concerned about damage as I believe Look changed from the HSC5 to my HSC6 fork in 2008 for this reason. My split race is a little damaged. The bottom bearing is tight and the split race good, but I will replace it at the same time.
Old 06-30-20, 07:54 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Look 595's were never equipped with the HSC5 fork which has a straight gauge 1 1/8" steer tube. The HSC6 fork has a tapered steer tube and even the earliest 595's were equipped with that fork. The last versions of the 595 had Look's Headfit forks but if I recall correctly those forks were still HSC6
Old 06-30-20, 08:09 AM
PkF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Look 595's were never equipped with the HSC5 fork which has a straight gauge 1 1/8" steer tube. The HSC6 fork has a tapered steer tube and even the earliest 595's were equipped with that fork. The last versions of the 595 had Look's Headfit forks but if I recall correctly those forks were still HSC6
I did mention I had the HSC6 fork. Can you help with the headset query?
Old 06-30-20, 02:24 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by PkF
I did mention I had the HSC6 fork. Can you help with the headset query?
I was just pointing out that the HSC5 fork was never used on a 595 although it continued to be used for several years on the 585 and earlier models. The 595 came out in as a 2007 model. As far as I know you have to use the split races to support the bearings. The proper way to install these is with the split either to the right or left, not to the front or back. My 2007 595 has never seen any wear to the split races, but I do check headset adjustment yearly. Look dealers should be able to obtain replacement bearings and races. At least when the model was current, the Canadian distributor kept a stock of replacement parts. Problem is the Look has changed distributors from time to time and the current distributor may have to order new ones from Look
Old 07-01-20, 03:54 AM
PkF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
I was just pointing out that the HSC5 fork was never used on a 595 although it continued to be used for several years on the 585 and earlier models. The 595 came out in as a 2007 model. As far as I know you have to use the split races to support the bearings. The proper way to install these is with the split either to the right or left, not to the front or back. My 2007 595 has never seen any wear to the split races, but I do check headset adjustment yearly. Look dealers should be able to obtain replacement bearings and races. At least when the model was current, the Canadian distributor kept a stock of replacement parts. Problem is the Look has changed distributors from time to time and the current distributor may have to order new ones from Look
Thanks for the reply. I have tried my local distributor, apparently Look has not held these split races for some time. Perhaps other suppliers hold stock, but I will investigate a machine shop making a set up. The bike is a favourite, now run as a single speed, but an amazing ride.