Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Wireless Earbuds

Old 07-05-20, 03:12 PM
MemRiverman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wireless Earbuds

What do you think are the best wireless earbuds for cycling? I have the Jabra 65Ts but the left one is not working from falling out of my ear several times. Trying to decide to get another set of Jabras or something else. I have no issue with them other than I have problems with the left one failing out occasionally.
Old 07-05-20, 03:35 PM
groth
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by MemRiverman
What do you think are the best wireless earbuds for cycling? I have the Jabra 65Ts but the left one is not working from falling out of my ear several times. Trying to decide to get another set of Jabras or something else. I have no issue with them other than I have problems with the left one failing out occasionally.
Just use the right one. Keep the left ear open so you can hear "On your left" and other sounds from behind you!
Likes For groth:
Old 07-05-20, 04:15 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Back Bay Audio makes great ones and boy are they durable and inexpensive.

They sound phenomenal at a fraction of the price. Boston company.

https://www.backbaybrand.com/
Old 07-05-20, 04:51 PM
dusty01

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
The new AirPods Pro are good. You can turn on noise canceling or switch over to ambient where it brings to life your surroundings while still hearing music. I would recommend a tether in case they did happen to fall out.
Old 07-05-20, 05:05 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I'm not a fan of anything that reduces your situational awareness, but since you asked, you should look into these.

Old 07-05-20, 05:11 PM
BarryVee

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Santa Cruz Tallboy 27.5+

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Can only compare two sets

My first Bluetooth set were on sale cheapo from B&H. Think I payed $15 for them, No water resistance. Destroyed ‘em in four months + they wouldn’t stay in my ears either.

Replaced them with beatsX, now in their second season, and they work for me.
Old 07-05-20, 05:27 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
I picked up a pair of Jaybird Tarah Pros about a month ago and really like them. They’re the type that have a cord connecting them. With the correctly sized silicone ear pads they stay in place very nicely, sound great and the battery lasts about 14 hours.

I’ve had a couple of pairs of Jabra Elite 25e, which I like, but they are apparently not sweat-proof. I’ve gone through three pair (warranty) in one year.
Old 07-05-20, 05:31 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by groth
Just use the right one. Keep the left ear open so you can hear "On your left" and other sounds from behind you!
We could just allow the OP to determine for him or herself what is safe. Some of us have ridden tens of thousands of miles whilst using both earbuds.
Old 07-05-20, 05:33 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I bought several sets off the bay. Only paid $5.US from China for the first set. They worked for working out but I couldn't hear them when I rode my bike due to wind noise. Then I bought some for $10.US that are connected by the wire which also works as an antenna. The sound quality isn't the greatest, but I can work up to 50 feet from the player without losing signal. My last pair were $18.US from the bay and they do everything with just a touch and the sound is great, they stay in my ears, they silence the wind, and they came with a charging box that will charge them up 4 times without needing to plug in. The only drawback is the voice that tells you when your pairing or connected keeps reverting back to Mandarin. I did something the other day out on the bike and the Mandarin voice gave me a lecture. Not a clue what I did. I've had them about 6 months now and have used them in all kinds of weather. Water doesn't seem to bother them. I figure for the price I can justify replacing them every year if I have to and I'm still ahead of the game vs buying those $200.US ones that aren't getting the greatest reviews on Utube.
Old 07-05-20, 06:29 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 381 Posts
As a former police officer and traffic homicide investigator, I think wearing earphones is a great way to shorten your life. In most places riding while wearing earphones is illegal, and this for good reason. I am especially against it because my brother was wearing earphones on a bike ride, and was hit and killed by a car. Had he not been wearing them, he might have heard the car coming.

Of course there are fools out there who say it's no ones business if you want to wear earphones while riding, that is,until you manage to get yourself hurt or killed. Then it becomes the business of lawyers, insurance companies, law enforcement, and your family when they come to visit you in the hospital or in the morgue.

What it is about people that they must be entertained at all times? Have they really become that infantile? Perhaps instead of carrying phones to stare at every two or three minutes, and listening to a constant barrage of music, we can simply implant devices into our brains.

One thing I like about riding my bike is that I get to unplug for little while. "Silence is Golden," especially today when you are bombarded constantly by audio and video information, listening to prepackaged music, listening to propaganda and advertisements disguised as news and entertainment.

How about getting on your bike, and listening to nothing? You might find the sounds of nature relaxing. You might enjoy the sound of the chain turning the gears, and your tires on the pavement, and you might hear the tires of a car as it swerves out of its lane because its driver is distractied by a text message or email.
Old 07-05-20, 06:38 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Oh, how I wish there was an "unlike" button. People came in here for answers to a simple question, not a sermon. Whenever I see anything about the unplugging nonsense, I can't even hope to stop my eye-roll.
Here's some friendly advice a whoooole lotta members here can use:
Old 07-05-20, 06:47 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
It's tough finding ones that fit good & perform good. If they are meeting the two then they usually last a while. I used to use LG then noticed that they degraded after a few months. Then right after warranty ended, they acted up. 30 dollars to 50 dollars is the price point that seems like it'll be worth the experience. Make sure the specs are matching to your bt requirements & they have a hassle free return policy for at least a year.
Old 07-05-20, 06:48 PM
MattTheHat 

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
As a former police officer and traffic homicide investigator, I think wearing earphones is a great way to shorten your life. In most places riding while wearing earphones is illegal, and this for good reason. I am especially against it because my brother was wearing earphones on a bike ride, and was hit and killed by a car. Had he not been wearing them, he might have heard the car coming.

Of course there are fools out there who say it's no ones business if you want to wear earphones while riding, that is,until you manage to get yourself hurt or killed. Then it becomes the business of lawyers, insurance companies, law enforcement, and your family when they come to visit you in the hospital or in the morgue.

What it is about people that they must be entertained at all times? Have they really become that infantile? Perhaps instead of carrying phones to stare at every two or three minutes, and listening to a constant barrage of music, we can simply implant devices into our brains.

One thing I like about riding my bike is that I get to unplug for little while. "Silence is Golden," especially today when you are bombarded constantly by audio and video information, listening to prepackaged music, listening to propaganda and advertisements disguised as news and entertainment.

How about getting on your bike, and listening to nothing? You might find the sounds of nature relaxing. You might enjoy the sound of the chain turning the gears, and your tires on the pavement, and you might hear the tires of a car as it swerves out of its lane because its driver is distractied by a text message or email.
Im sorry about your brother. That sucks. I don’t personally have the skills to swerve out of the way of a car coming from behind me. I’d have to pull over for every passing car.

I’d like to correct one statement you made. Riding with headphones is not illegal in most places. Not in the US, anyway. Perfectly legal in at least 40 states.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 07-05-20, 07:45 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 530 Posts
Whatever brand, I’d want them in both ears, so as to not hear that diesel dually before it drills me. I like surprises! Of course we’re being trolled, unless talking indoor trainer. However, common sense has become the uncommon virtue, so who knows.
Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 07-05-20 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-05-20, 08:01 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
hands down, these are,

I paid 35 for refurbished, $20 is a steal!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079X5JL7G
Old 07-05-20, 08:01 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
It can’t answer the op question, but I have an opinion. I really don’t like wireless earbuds, just one more thing to charge or die in the middle of using.

For cycling I like to use a stereo to mono wired right ear bud. That way left ear is free to hear everything. I set the volume so that anything speed over 18-20 I can’t hear the music.

As for the earbud falling out ever wonder why the pros have theirs taped in?
Old 07-05-20, 08:23 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Beats Powerbeats Pro are the best for me, they don't fall out. I only wear these on bike paths/trails and never when riding on roads.

I
Old 07-05-20, 09:33 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Have you considered either Comply foam tips, or some of the cheap "earhooks" for BT earbuds? If you're happy with the Jabras, no sense replacing them.
Old 07-05-20, 10:45 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
I use the ones that are connected to each earbud by a volume monitor. I clip that to my sport shirt. There's no wire to my phone. About12 bucks. I don't know what you call them, (maybe semi wireless).
But I won't invest in the complete wireless earbuds for fear of one falling out like yours did.
I think the ones I use are best for cycling because I press the buttons for volume, mute, power off/on, answer phone, and I can just take them out with out fear of losing them. I just hang them over my shoulder while I listen to my bike.
Old 07-06-20, 02:11 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
It can’t answer the op question, but I have an opinion. I really don’t like wireless earbuds, just one more thing to charge or die in the middle of using.

For cycling I like to use a stereo to mono wired right ear bud. That way left ear is free to hear everything. I set the volume so that anything speed over 18-20 I can’t hear the music.

As for the earbud falling out ever wonder why the pros have theirs taped in?
My wireless have better battery life than my garmin unit!!! so they both just get charged together, charging is a deal, but not that bad. maybe someday I can ditch the garmin too?

As for hearing, Over the Ear flush mount earbuds have been the best thing ever for my cycling! the biggest perk is Less wind noise, which equate to better hearing while riding (even with music on). And it also means less hearing loss over a lifespan of riding bicycles.

My assumption on earbud tape is to keep them from falling out. Most of us mortals just stop to adjust or put back in, but for a pro that move would be devastating in a race. I know I have came to love my over the ear memory wire ear buds. I no longer have to worry about cables sticking to my sweaty skin and pulling them out.
Old 07-06-20, 06:48 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I commute and listen to spoken word podcasts, one ear, curbside. I purposely use "wired" ear buds and run the right one under the chin strap, so that if it slips out of my ear, it doesn't drop to the street. I also tuck the cord again so that the microphone is by my mouth . One click of the button on the cord lets me make and answer calls, texts (voice to text/text to voice) send myself reminders, and google stuff.

I don't feel comfortable listening to music while biking in traffic, not even one ear.

In the car...no problem listening to music over the speakers, but definitely not earbuds or headphones.
Old 07-06-20, 07:00 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
I have a few pairs of these. they are great after i tried different types. i use them at work almost 100% of the day, while riding, and while doing whatever (podcast addict :-). unlike other models they:
- they turn on and off quickly and connect reliably
- last over 12 hours easily (never timed them, they claim 16 hours)
- good microphone when making calls
- good controls (I use "Player FM", which lets me program the skip button to fast forward... that way I skip commercials in podacsts and doing that with the button is easy when riding)
- stay reliably in the ear, or magnetically attach around my neck when not used. that way you don't lose them.

I haven't tried out the IPX rating on these specifically, but older models dipped into my coffee, or accidentally went through the washing machine and worked.

Other models had much less battery (3-4 hours), took some more seconds to connect.
I also tried the "just buds" without wiring. But they suck when making calls, have shorter battery life, are easily lost and require the charging pod. and when you don't use them, you can't just hang them around your neck. Just didn't seem practical.

There are days i have them in for maybe 16 hours on and off.... trust me, if they wouldn't be usable and comfortable, I would look for better alternatives. And at the price I have a separate pair at work so i never forget the one at home.

As for riding and safety, when no one is around, i put both in. when I'm on busy trails, I only insert one.
Old 07-06-20, 08:23 AM
ririder

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 2, Giant Talon , Specialized Sequoia, Fuji Crosstown

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling

The irony of this post coming from somebody that apparently jumped out of a perfectly good airplane is rich.
Likes For ririder:
Old 07-06-20, 11:14 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Have you considered either Comply foam tips, or some of the cheap "earhooks" for BT earbuds? If you're happy with the Jabras, no sense replacing them.
+1 Comply Foam Tips
Old 07-06-20, 11:24 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Bone conducting models............end topic there. If you're outdoors running or cycling and need to hear your surroundings, it keeps the ears open. Then you can pop in the included ear plugs for max indoors isolation.

I love my Aftershox. Not the absolute best sound quality, but that's a small compromise for open ear use and good rugged use for sport.

The person asked for tips here, so there it is. I run and bike in silence, but.........if someone doesn't then that's my recommendation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.