Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Tires: Best for MTB to Use As Commuter Bike

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-06, 08:19 PM
John Ummel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I currently have two mountain bikes but am beginning to do much more common commuting on paved roads. So I going to convert one bike; get rid of the nobbys and use some kind if hybrid tire. (I don't want slicks; I want to have tires that still look like MTB tires as much as possible) Bike stores suggest Continental Traffic or Town and Country. Want to limit my cost to $20 per tire. Any suggestions other than these?

John
Old 02-27-06, 08:46 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At that price point I'd just say cruise the bins at your LBS and on-line sellers. I run Panaracer Speedblaster tires when between slicks and studs. Good for the use, but priced a bit higher than you called for.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 02-27-06, 10:32 PM
rykoala

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CastIron
At that price point I'd just say cruise the bins at your LBS and on-line sellers.
+1
You're not going to find any special tire in your price range. Look at what nashbar and performance are selling, maybe even harris cyclery. What you're going to want in a tire is a solid center lug so that when the bike is upright it is on that smooth center. These would probably be perfect for you:
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5425
Old 02-28-06, 11:13 AM
penanaut
Dr. FeelGood

Bikes: 2001 Raleigh M60 MTN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 about the cheaper stuff not available for what you want. At the beginning, I thought going cheap was the way to go, out of practicality and budget concerns. I learned the hard way that the cheap stuff had me at my work bench or along the side of the road more often. The expense, which is not much more when you consider your time and patch kits and tubes, is not that much more. I have been super happy with my Conti Travel Slick on my hard tail MTB commuter. There are big slices going through the rubber, but not into the chamber from glass and stuff I couldn't avoid. I'm convinced that the "gator" technology I paid for held up to expectations. Worth the money.
Old 02-28-06, 12:39 PM
GreenFix

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by John Ummel
I don't want slicks; I want to have tires that still look like MTB tires as much as possible
Why?

I am not trying to razz you, I am just curious about your reasoning.

Performance has some semislicks on sale for less than $20. THey have some true slicks for less than $20 and some for less than $10. Jenson has some semislicks for less than $20 too.

In my experience (which is not much with semislicks) the semislicks may roll nicely in a straight line, but they have horrible traction when cornering on pavement, especially when it is wet. A true slick will give you the best performance on the road. IF you want a Mountain tire, a low profile knobbie may give you the most consistent performance on the pavement. Jenson and performance both have some on sale right now.

Cheers,

GF
Old 02-28-06, 12:57 PM
CBBaron

Bikes: Pugsley, fixie commuter, track bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
(I don't want slicks; I want to have tires that still look like MTB tires as much as possible) John
Again Why????
If it a commuter used primarily on road then a slick is your most efficient tire and will have the best traction. I also don't like running a cheap tire on a commuter. I perfer something I can trust. Cheap tires seem to flat way too often.
How about a Big Apple? Available in 2.0" and 2.35", kevlar belted and only a little over your budget. These will have the same size as your knobbies but will roll much better.
Craig
Old 02-28-06, 01:06 PM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just loaded up on 6 Specialized Turbo Pro Classic ATB tires to convert our MTB into touring bikes for our European trip. Then when I get back I'm gonna wear em out commuting on them. They went from $30.00 per tire to $16.00 on clearance at Specialized. I think I'll top post about this in case other people wanna get in on it. Someone else told me these wouldn't be good to commute on but gave no reasoning. If they're good enough for touring the highways they're good enough to get to work on using highways.
Old 02-28-06, 01:39 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I like my Specialized Fat Boy 26x1.25s. With Mr Tuffy liners they are pretty bombproof. They will take 100 psi (fasssssst), but lately I've been running them a tad lower (85/90) for a little smoother ride. They are exactly $20 each most places.

I don't see the point in not going with a true slick unless your commute takes you over rough roads, especially if you will still have a second bike for off-roading duty.
Old 02-28-06, 02:35 PM
rykoala

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marqueemoon
I don't see the point in not going with a true slick unless your commute takes you over rough roads, especially if you will still have a second bike for off-roading duty.
I agree. I ride 1.25" performance brand slicks and they are fine. I don't even get very many flats on them! I keep trying to justify different tires. See, I am a tire freak. I LOVE trying out different tires. Knobbies, studded, slick, semi-slick, fat, skinny, etc. I've tried probably 6 different set of tires for my commuting and they each have their place. But unless its just plain slick out because of snow/ice, I stick to the 1.25" slicks. They're fast, relatively comfy (esp on a steel frame) and they just work. I still pine after some of the semi-slicks out there, but when I look at the 700+ gram weight (currently my 1.25's are half of that) I remember how slow such huge tires are and I keep to my current tires.

Now, if the commute was only a couple of miles (mine is 5.5, still relatively short) and comfort was more of an issue, I'd swap back to my 26x2.125's at 40psi. Talk about cruiser tires, those things ride smooooooth. But they are so slow because they are so heavy, even heavier than my Nokian W160's. Yikes.

Obviously I like talking tires but really if a commute will allow for it, thin slicks is where its at.
Old 02-28-06, 03:07 PM
WhiteRabbit
Railgun of Patience

Bikes: 1997 KHS Summit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm using a set of Nimbus III's on my commuter MTB. They work great for me.
Old 02-28-06, 03:10 PM
JohnSFO
Rider

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Panaracer Pasela Tour Guards are great tires similar to Schwalbes but quite a bit lighter. They can be had on sale for about $20/each.
Old 02-28-06, 04:52 PM
Wheels4

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Cervelo and Santana

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by marqueemoon
I like my Specialized Fat Boy 26x1.25s. With Mr Tuffy liners they are pretty bombproof. They will take 100 psi (fasssssst), but lately I've been running them a tad lower (85/90) for a little smoother ride. They are exactly $20 each most places.

+1 I really like my Fat Boy's.
Old 02-28-06, 05:35 PM
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.

Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Serfas Vermin rear with a Kevlar mat, was 25$ Can.
Can be used offroad except in mud, very good wet asphalt.
Very fast rolling, I only use rear (XC front), but corners well.
1.9 only.

Last edited by jeff williams; 02-28-06 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-28-06, 07:53 PM
knykersnatchurs
put commut in community

Bikes: 2006 Redline Conquest Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GEAX - street runners : 1.6 size, also in 1.25 (couple LBS' here sold em for 20 a pop), if they don't have em, jsut have your LBS order some.
or
Look around for some Kenda's, you can find some durable kenda's @ that price.

good huntin'
Old 02-28-06, 08:02 PM
squeakywheel
domestique

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...I want to have tires that still look like MTB tires as much as possible...
John
Get over the vanity and just buy some street tires. I use Specialized Nimbus 26x1.5 tires. They are about $20. Maybe a couple dollars more.
Old 02-28-06, 09:09 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I've had good use from slicks too, both 1.25 and 1.5. They're significantly faster, at least for 8 months of the year, and give you good contact with the road. Maybe you think they would look a little funny on your mountain bike? You'll get used to them.

"Think Outside the Cage"