Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Schwalbe marathon Cross 1.75 or big apple 2.0

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 03-12-06, 09:47 AM
GreenFix

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a couple of questions about the schwalbe big apple and the schwalbe marathon cross.

How difficult are schwalbe tires to mount? I am using rhyno lite rims on my commuter, and I am not keen about the prospect of being stranded with a flat because I can't get the tires off the rims.

I will commuting entirely on roads, but I will probably use the bike for some family rides on the local rail trail (cinder/dirt/mud), and I am considering doing a randonneur on it this summer that mixes both dirt and pavement. Does anyone know how the big apple rolls on dirt roads? Wet dirt roads? Does anyone know how the marathon cross rolls on pavement?

I am leaning towards the big apple as a riding buddy of mine has them on his recumbent and really likes them.

Thanks for any advice.

GF
Old 03-20-06, 02:45 AM
Bizikleto
Enamoured of bicycles

Bikes: 2 touring, 1 C-cross commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you on 559 (MTB) or 622 (road) rims? My experience is very good with Big Apple 700x50c both in dirt tracks and on road. As for changing tyres, they are a piece of cake in that size, provided you previously squeeze the tyre to the middle of the rim before the final clinch.