Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Weekend Ride Reports -- May 14/15

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-16, 02:50 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Tell us about your cycling this weekend ... or on the days surrounding the weekend. Where did you ride? Who did you ride with? Did you participate in an event? Got pics?

[HR][/HR]

It has been very, very windy in the part of the world all week ... but today, Saturday, the wind eased off to a more comfortable 30 km/h gusting to 50 km/h ... and the sun came out ... so we decided to go for a ride.

34 km more or less along the cycleway on the Eastern Shore. Checking out "improvements" they've made to the cycleway and generally just enjoying the foreshore scenery.

Sorry ... no pics from this ride, but this is a shot I took last spring of our start/finish area ...

Old 05-14-16, 04:59 AM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Riding in the Hospice Gran Fondo, 30 miles today. Hopefully the weather cooperates.
Old 05-15-16, 01:12 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Sunday -- A windy, chilly, and occasionally rainy 29.4 km.

Fortunately the wind was only 35 km/h gusting to 70 km/h while we were out there so not as bad as it has been lately ... and not as bad as it became shortly after we finished. Areas of the city were, once again, without power because of downed lines, and this evening gusts are expected up over 100 km/h. It's been like this for about a week now.

I am really glad we were able to get a ride in. It was a bit of a toss up there for a while whether we might be on the trainers.
Old 05-15-16, 02:58 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 75 Posts
Just came back from a 140km ride.
Testing out some new merino gear.
Coming back the heavens opened and I turned into a drowned rat.
At least I was kept nice and warm though.

About time I get the remainder of my wet weather gear and those fenders on.
Old 05-15-16, 07:58 AM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Sat: 37mi shop ride. had 4 of us in the faster group. perfect weather and riding. Had a bit of a scary spot, a car going the opposite way crashed straight into a parked car. Their car spun across the road and was rolling back towards us.. luckily we had enough time to jump onto the sidewalk and got out of the way. everyone was ok but the driver was pretty shaken up. after that we kept going to a coffee shop for a break then rode home without any more problems.
Old 05-15-16, 12:26 PM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Only did 22 miles yesterday. Left the yard work until today, so I just finished that and will take an afternoon ride later. Yesterday was fun though- I ride solo but I got out early enough to actually see some other cyclists for once. Got passed by 5 out of a larger group that came up behind me, but I surprised myself by actually keeping one of the first three in my sights for several miles. That is, until I caught a glimpse of two more coming up behind me and tried to shift under load going up a hill to gain some distance. They passed me with a wave and a hello when my chain dropped off. But that was the first time I've felt any kind of competition (though I'm sure it was strictly in my own imagination) while on a bike. That was fun. And lastly, I got to change my first flat on the side of the road about an hour after that encounter . Now I am starting to feel like a cyclist. I wonder what this afternoon will bring?

Edit: It brought two flat tires . On the plus side- I am now much more confident in my tube-changing and patching abilities.

Last edited by Jadesfire; 05-15-16 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-15-16, 12:37 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
I had rear end kicked at my first ever TT on Saturday. Today has been a lazy, F1, EPL, TPC Sawgrass kind of day.
Old 05-15-16, 02:45 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Rode up the NH coast on Saturday for 50, and through the coastal town of Ipswich today for another 30. Had strong headwinds on the return trip for both rides, very strong headwinds today. Temps were about 75 yesterday, 52 today. No complaints; I stayed dry!
Old 05-15-16, 02:48 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Did this ride...https://www.strava.com/activities/575912881

In case you can't get on Strava, it was a pretty hilly 34 mi. @ 2:26. The total elevation wasn't impressive but the hills themselves were long and arduous.
Old 05-15-16, 10:38 PM
wxmcpo
Beginning Rider

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Allez Elite / 2016 Tarmac Expert

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got in 47 miles yesterday and another 45 miles today. Great weather on both days.
Old 05-15-16, 11:10 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Saturday, 5/14. Highland CA to Carlsbad CA, 131.4 miles. Rode the first 60 miles from home solo, then met up with some folks from the C&A subforum at the Anaheim ARTIC station and rode the rest of the way to Pizza Port in Carlsbad. Took the Metrolink from Oceanside back to San Bernardino and got picked up from the train station (about 8 miles from home, and I didn't think I had enough gas left in the tank after sitting on the train for 90 minutes.)

Highland to Carlsbad
Old 05-15-16, 11:24 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
55 miles, 5,000', pretty quick.

Wet, almost raining on the coast.

A seven mile section of road is closed to cars due to some wash-outs,

but there were lots of cyclists.
Old 05-16-16, 02:20 AM
dja1

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Out from smelly Liverpool into the nice peaceful & picturesque rural communities of Lancashire. I tested out my Kodak SP1 action camera and here is some footage if anyone fancies a watch:

Took the fastest route out of the city and away from all the loud bothersome traffic and lights and enjoyed some sunny open road. I mustn't let the sun deceive me though, it was a fairly crisp Sunday out here in my part of the world at 13 Celsius with a chilly bite to the wind and I just managed to get by in my jersey and shorts. The weather is so weird here in the UK, we've just had a mad heat wave coming out of winter and I've already managed to build up those tan lines.

Ascended Ashurst Hill, at the top is a beautiful church and a school, many of the children must walk up every morning what a workout! and old communication relay beacon stretching between Liverpool and Lancaster Castle. Yet to go and have a look at this feature but it's off the road and on the beaten track maybe not convenient for my road rides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrfxxPfM3zI

Last edited by dja1; 05-16-16 at 02:26 AM.
Old 05-16-16, 04:59 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
All about Gran Fondo New York.

Friday was number pick-up, then Saturday was prep - pick up tuned-up bike, make slight adjustment to bars, take it out for a shake-down ride. Get gear together, pack, eat well, early to bed.

Sunday, up and at 'em before 4:00 a.m., to make my way to join a gang to head to the start. Having agreed to join the ad hoc racing club team associated with the event (mostly guys MUCH better than I am - I just happened to already be in the club, but on no sub-team), I got a low bib number and front corral start.

Decidedly mediocre results, but 30 minutes better than last year.

It was cold, rainy in the middle part, and windy pretty much throughout. Nothing crazy, but pretty demoralizing to crest a hill and get hit with a headwind. Chilly finish, too. Couldn't find any teammates or friends from training rides at the finish village, and I wasn't hungry enough to figure out the deal with the food or thirsty enough to find the beer, so I just headed home. Training rides were more fun.
Old 05-17-16, 08:31 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Blah no bike riding this weekend. I had to go to a wedding in NC that required 10 hours of car travel both ways. However, I did scope out some local parks and took a couple of nice walks in the woods. Weather was great too. About 25 degrees cooler than FL.