Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

An issue with the Wahoo Bolt

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-17, 01:31 PM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

When hiking even with auto pause off, the Bolt does not show meters climbed/descended. It shows accurately the 'current' elevation, but does not record the ascent/descent.

I know it's not designed for hiking, but the Garmin does this very well, and lots of cyclists also use their computer for hiking. I think it might just be a small software tweak required.

I had posted this on the DCRainmaker site and a member saw the files and came to the conclusion that the Garmin was recording data even when the speed was slow, say 1-1.5kmph, while the Wahoo files showed speed as 0 all the time and hence did not record data at all.

Simple solution would be to either:

1. Allow the software of the Wahoo to record at any speed, or
2. Put in a 'walking' mode which will allow data to be recorded at low speeds

When hiking, with 30-35% climbs, speeds will be low, but my Garmins, earlier the 500 and now the 520 have always worked well.

I know guys will jump on me saying that it is not designed for hiking, but like I said, my Garmins have always handled the hikes very well.

Beyond this, even when cycling, the Bolt shows gain/loss less than my Garmin does.
Old 08-09-17, 03:53 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,086 Times in 1,181 Posts
The folks at Wahoo, whom I assume you've contacted ?, would likely go "Oh, yes, OK, lets fix that !", where as Garmin would say "That feature will be in the next model. maybe".
Old 08-09-17, 06:08 PM
bleui

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
use wahoo when cycling, use garmin when hiking