Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling computer recommendation....

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling computer recommendation....

Old 03-18-20, 09:48 PM
santoku

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Better for reliability, no?
I think so, and the processing power is a good match to the OS and feature set. I would have really liked a Roam, but not $200 more !
Old 03-18-20, 09:58 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by santoku
I think so, and the processing power is a good match to the OS and feature set. I would have really liked a Roam, but not $200 more !

I like the Bolt better than Garmin 500,

but the phone app & auto upload to Strava don't always work for me- sometimes have to plug in the unit & upload the file.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 03-18-20, 10:19 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
I went through the same questions, mainly between the Bolt, Roam, and 530. Ended up with the 530. Love the thing and honestly glad I made the choice I did. No issues at all with GPS/etc, and no wonky Garmin issues that you hear about. YMMV, but mine has been epicly epic.
Likes For N00b_Cyclist:
Old 03-18-20, 10:23 PM
santoku

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist
I went through the same questions, mainly between the Bolt and 530. Ended up with the 530. Love the thing and honestly glad I made the choice I did. No issues at all with GPS/etc, and no wonky Garmin issues that you hear about. YMMV, but mine has been epicly epic.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I think the Edge 530 hits a great price point for a modern device, and the ability to load up an interval workout on the unit is a great option. If I could find a vendor with a 30-day return policy, I'd be tempted to try it along with the Bolt to see how it would work for me.
Old 03-18-20, 10:24 PM
santoku

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by woodcraft
I like the Bolt better than Garmin 500,

but the phone app & auto upload to Strava don't always work for me- sometimes have to plug in the unit & upload the file.
I'll have to keep an eye out for that one. May it be a Bluetooth connection issue with your phone ?
Old 03-18-20, 10:39 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience. I think the Edge 530 hits a great price point for a modern device, and the ability to load up an interval workout on the unit is a great option. If I could find a vendor with a 30-day return policy, I'd be tempted to try it along with the Bolt to see how it would work for me.
You can't do that through Amazon? I'm not super familiar with their policies but I thought they had a pretty chill return policy.
Likes For N00b_Cyclist:
Old 03-19-20, 06:03 AM
santoku

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist
You can't do that through Amazon? I'm not super familiar with their policies but I thought they had a pretty chill return policy.
I'll look into that !
Old 03-22-20, 10:55 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
My Bolt is 100% reliable, and very easy to customize from my phone. It's the only computer I've ever had. Happy to answer any questions not addressed by others.
Old 03-23-20, 08:47 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
I will be updating from my Lezyne SuperGPS, and am looking at the following:

Wahoo Elemnt Bolt
Wahoo Elemnt Roam
Garmin Edge 530
Stages Dash M50/L50

I am running Varia radar, and all are now compatible.

My highest priority is reliability. I despise losing ride data. It's irrational, but I'll sulk for a week if a unit crashes or freezes, and I can't recover data. It's gotta work, every time.

Second highest priority is UI speed and flow. If the unit is under powered, or the UI is buggy or slow, that's a no-go. If navigation or moving between data screens is doggy, it's not the unit for me.

I value training data, but don't need compatibility with training websites to upload workouts from. I do want to be able to enter interval workouts in the unit on the fly if possible though. I think Garmin may be the only one that can do that ??

I like add-ons such as the Garmin Climb Pro, but not at the expense of reliability or cost of UI speed. Battery life is important, but my rides aren't more than 5-8hrs. I'm not a weight weenie, but lighter and compact is good. Visibility of data is important. I carry my smartphone with me, so having features tethered to the phone isn't a problem.

Turn by turn navigation would be nice, but the superiority of the nav is less important to me than a reliable and quick-using unit with data metrics I can access on the ride.

Not sure if there are any folks with experience using more than one of the aforementioned units, but I'd be obliged for any of your thoughts and experiences. Thanks !
Roam! I have the Bolt and love it. Very user friendly, the phone app is awesome and data is transferred quickly. No reliability issue at all! The roam is bigger; it's my next purchase.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 04-01-20, 06:27 PM
kaylee

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Bryton 310 and 420 like both of them, have not had any other brand. The only problem I’ve have is the 310 loses signal in areas with a lot of trees. No problems with 420.
Old 04-02-20, 01:19 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Love my Bolt.
^^^^^This!
Likes For Clipped_in:
Old 04-02-20, 06:09 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
Love my Bolt but I wanted a larger screen so I grabbed the Roam!
Old 08-16-20, 11:06 AM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
I will be updating from my Lezyne SuperGPS, and am looking at the following:
Stages Dash M50/L50
Just don't. It's a beta product. If you're okay with being a beta tester and things don't really have to work, then give it a shot. I never even mounted mine because I could never get it setup to my satisfaction. Some would say that it's a learning curve, but there is nothing intuitive about the UI or setup.