Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Columbus, OH Routes & Riding Groups

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-20, 10:08 PM
John9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking for some guidance:

I recently moved to Columbus, OH and am looking for some 20-40 mile route suggestions. I have used the Olentangy and Scioto Trail systems but find them to be a bit too crowded at times. Does anyone have suggestions on safe roads to use that may get me a bit out of town? I live between Downtown and Ohio State and am open to roads/trails/paths etc.

Riding clubs/groups would also be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-01-20, 08:45 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3359 Post(s)
Liked 3,638 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by John9
Looking for some guidance:

I recently moved to Columbus, OH and am looking for some 20-40 mile route suggestions. I have used the Olentangy and Scioto Trail systems but find them to be a bit too crowded at times. Does anyone have suggestions on safe roads to use that may get me a bit out of town? I live between Downtown and Ohio State and am open to roads/trails/paths etc.

Riding clubs/groups would also be appreciated. Thanks!
Two good resources to find the most traveled roads by cyclists:

Strava Global Heatmap

RideWithGPS Route Finder

I've used both with great success when planning a route in an area I've never been to.

Good luck!
Old 07-01-20, 05:54 PM
Bearhart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try Trail Link. It lists all the bike paths in Ohio and is very useful for finding new trails. There are a ton of nice trails in Central Ohio. I live in Columbus and have ridden many of them. You are right though, the Olentangy Trail is probably the busiest. You could always try the Southern half of the Alum Creek Trail. It’s definitely not as busy as the Olentangy.