Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Rookie needing frame ID help before buying (told it was 86 miyata)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-20, 08:24 AM
igz

Bikes: 1985 Miyata 912, 1982 Miyata 110, 1988 Bianchi Grizzly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone. Newb here.

Currently looking to buy a new bike and bumped into this, and owner told me this was a 1986 Miyata. Asked for more details and was told Koga Pro.

I did some preliminary digging (PDFs of old catalogues), as maybe some of the older versions had less detailed frames, and as Dutch language as they were... didn’t see any pics of Miyatas of those years, or really any years, with such clean lines and no details. It just doesn’t look like any of their bikes. But then again - I am limited by knowledge and zooming in on old pics.

Hoping someone can tell me what make/brand frame I’m even looking at here. I do have additional pics... I’m just limited to posting because I’m a new member.

Here’s one pic, that I shortened URL with bitly, so just retype as workaround:

bit *dot* ly *forward slash* 2YQTP75

Thanks!
Old 07-02-20, 08:39 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
It looks like TIG welding a Unicrown fork which would typically be 1990+. Can you get the serial number from the seller?
Old 07-02-20, 08:47 AM
igz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
It looks like TIG welding a Unicrown fork which would typically be 1990+. Can you get the serial number from the seller?
I’ll message right now and ask.

In the meantime, will any other angles/closeups help ID? I do have a few pics, so I can upload a different viewpoint pic if one happens to be tell-tale for you guys.
Old 07-02-20, 09:05 AM
igz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seller just replied to my serial number inquiry text with “It has a stamped head BRA”
Old 07-02-20, 09:45 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by igz
I’ll message right now and ask.

In the meantime, will any other angles/closeups help ID? I do have a few pics, so I can upload a different viewpoint pic if one happens to be tell-tale for you guys.
I don't think there will be anything else to pick-up that can't be seen in the overall photo. But, you never know and it can't hurt. TIG welding and a Unicrown makes a bicycle frame pretty generic, unless there's proprietary dropouts or BB shell. The only thing of note is the extended head tube. Our best bet would still be a serial number.

However, extra photos may help to identify the components, which will help to establish the level and era (and value), assuming they are OEM. The dual pivot brakes would also put it into the 1990s, while the down tube shift levers may indicate very early 1990s and/or a lower level group or cost concessions. I'm wondering if the chrome is actually one of the faux titanium finishes that became popular in the early 1990s.

I'm pretty sure that Miyata didn't have anything like this before they exited the American market.
Old 07-02-20, 09:48 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by igz
Seller just replied to my serial number inquiry text with “It has a stamped head BRA”
Unless it's form Brazil, that doesn't mean anything to me. Anybody else?
Old 07-02-20, 09:52 AM
T-Mar

Photo assist...
Old 07-03-20, 06:41 AM
igz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless it's form Brazil, that doesn't mean anything to me. Anybody else?
Update: didn’t go for it

I couldn’t find anything about the “BRA” code anywhere either. I also found very few miyatas of that time with such clean frames (with no spoon type ends or decorative lugs). So when I re-asked the seller to see if he can just peep the serial number, and mentioned it’s just at the bottom of the fork... he replied with just “no kidding”, and not a peep since.

just sounded like he has zero interest in talking to someone who was trying to ID the bike before committing $600+... which made me twice as weary cause that sounds like someone who’s trynna pull a quick one on anyone that doesn’t care to fact check.

Went with another buyer who was super engaging, and bought his ‘85 instead.

Thank you for trying!