Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

To hell with being trendy, I love my bar ends!

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-05, 08:01 AM
Akak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just bolted on a pair of Profile carbon fiber bar ends. Yes, I know they're old school and even considered ugly by some, but after two rides with 'em, I can't see how you ride XC without them.

These are the only carbon fiber parts on my bike. They are more expensive AND heavier than standard aluminum ones but MAN they look pretty. Yeah, I went with carbon fiber solely for the looks. Since bar ends are so visible, I figured I'd go glam

Old 01-17-05, 09:07 AM
earlygrace
too old for this ****

Bikes: 2004 Jamis Dakar XLT 3.0 Frame, Hayes 6" brakes, Fox Forks, Fox Rear Shock, bla bla bla

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My last bike had bar ends, I miss them, they made me feel safe, kinda protected my hands from being hit by branches. But I wouldn't put them on my new bike.
Old 01-17-05, 10:52 AM
PWRDbyTRD
Toyota Racing Dev.

Bikes: 2004 Kona Hoss Dee-Lux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep debating if I should get some
Old 01-17-05, 10:56 AM
Swiss Hoser

Bikes: Pinarello Treviso, Rocky Mountain Oxygen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm with you on this one, Akak.
I've got bar ends on both MTB's. Wouldn't dream of going without them.
Old 01-17-05, 10:56 AM
PWRDbyTRD
Toyota Racing Dev.

Bikes: 2004 Kona Hoss Dee-Lux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what about in cool weather? do they get pretty cold?
Old 01-17-05, 11:07 AM
bikered
bikerEd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate bar ends, had them on the old bike and used them about twice...*shudder*
I never had a situation when they had any real benefits over the normal riding position, although on really long rides they would make a nice change of arm position, but that's what drops are for, hehe
Old 01-17-05, 11:09 AM
KleinRider

Bikes: '95 Klein Attitude and Quantum, '92 Trek 830

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PWRDbyTRD
Aluminum, yes as it's a great at heat transfer. I would think the carbon ones would take a lot longer to be effected, but they ultimately would I believe. Gloves take care of the problem anyway.
Old 01-17-05, 11:25 AM
bbarend
Superman With Silver Guns

Bikes: Trek 2100, Cannondale MTB, Fetish SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being a roadie as well, bar ends remind feel more like being on the hoods. Therefore when standing I can use a similar climbing style.
Old 01-17-05, 12:16 PM
bsyptak
Luggite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PWRDbyTRD
They do tend to get cold, but we wear gloves when it gets cold too, right. So shouldn't be a problem. What I did with mine though is put foam grip material on them to make them nice and comfortable for my commute. I use them about 90% of the ride. Like someone else said, feels like being in the hoods on road bars ('cept no shifter/brake near!). You use them when you're cruising or climbing, not when you need to brake or shift.

Here's the grip material: https://store.airbomb.com/ItemDesc.asp?IC=HT4000

Bike below.
Old 01-17-05, 02:01 PM
samefing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've considered getting some loads of times and i'm still thinking about it. I always find myself shifting my hands into a position bar ends would happily fill when on flat ground.

Guess its down to personal preference.
Old 01-17-05, 02:22 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
I can't imagine not having bar ends on my straight bars on steep climbs.
Old 01-17-05, 02:54 PM
GreenFix

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently started riding a bike that has a Scott AT3? bar. It is one of those bars with integrated bar ends. It is a totally natural position for out of the saddle climbing, which I do plenty of as this bike is also a single speed. The bars are wrapped with an inner tube, so the grip is continous: no cold spots.
Old 01-17-05, 05:07 PM
iamthetas

Bikes: Devinci Guzzler, 04 Canadian version

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 thumbs up for bar ends. if someone doesnt like them dont "make them ride your bike"
Old 01-17-05, 07:08 PM
MadMan2k
Perpetual n00b

Bikes: '18 Kona Explosif, '18 Sunday Primer BMX, Giant Roam (ss converted), Old Peugeot (SS converted, broken)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have a set on my bike, but they're already getting scratched up a bit, and I think soon they'll look crappy, so I'll take them off and get a new set of grips. I don't really use them too often... They are pretty nice for climbing if I remember to switch my hands over, though
Old 01-17-05, 07:20 PM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Where I think I would want bars for xc is in the centre and end. Like bullhorns on the side and middle horns. On long treks I always find myself with my hands in the centre position of the handlebar. Only time my hands are on the outside is for my agressive tendancies
Old 01-17-05, 07:33 PM
mtbikerinpa
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Barends are a godsend for carpal tunneled wrists. I usually put foam slide on grips on. Cheap and disposable. The added diameter is nicer to 'rest on the hoods'. I used to race with them as Crash guards(they protect the handlebar devices fairly well in endos) but I found in this area(virtually north shore) they tend to hook branches, so I use them for all but trail races. On the road I hardly ever use the conventional position.

Raves from me.
Old 01-17-05, 08:01 PM
karlfitt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My last bike I put a Scott AT-4 bar on, kind of like a Triathalon bar, a big loop.
Wish I had taken it off and kept it 'cause they don't make them any more. (haven't for a long time)
Old 01-17-05, 08:02 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Akak
I just bolted on a pair of Profile carbon fiber bar ends. Yes, I know they're old school and even considered ugly by some, but after two rides with 'em, I can't see how you ride XC without them.
Fashion has never factored into the equation. Although, now that I think about it, the new SRAM X.0 shifters look pretty cool on the Easton CT-2 bars....

Back to practicality, I have always had bar-ends on my off-road bikes as far back as '87. I use them all the time for added leverage when climbing and to give my hands a change in position when the trail allows. On the tandem, the ones on Debbie's stoker bars help to protect her hands and to kick the tandem "back into play" if I misjudge the modified tandem line around or past a tree.... of course, that usually knocks my seat all cadiwampus. Ah, such are the trials and trivilations of riding single-track on a bicycle-built-for-two.
Old 01-17-05, 08:41 PM
bsyptak
Luggite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by livngood
Back to practicality
I don't know about practical (the bike in general), but it is a sweet looking bike.
Old 01-17-05, 09:00 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bsyptak
I don't know about practical (the bike in general), but it is a sweet looking bike.
Thanks for the kind words on the rig. Yes, they do tend to defy logic and illicit more than their fare share of comments such as, "no way".... "you can't do singletrack, can you?".... "how to you make the switchbacks?".... "how'd you get that thing up here?".... "you guys are nuts!".... "this I gotta see"....

However, they are in fact an absolute blast that allow couples who would not otherwise be able to enjoy mountain biking "together" to do just that. Our off-road tandem enthusiast group's motto was borrowed from the movie Backdraft: "Where You Go, I Go!". It's not for everyone...

Below is a photo depicting 7 of the 9 off-road tandem teams who decended on Tsali NRC near Bryson, North Carolina back in October for a few days of single track on all four loops... basically tandem-friendly terrain, even when it was raining.

Right to left: Tom & Donna from Cincinnati, OH; Marvin & Mary from Palos Hills, IL; Buck & Lisa from Cincinnati, OH; Dave & Vanessa from Toronto, Canada; Brian & Karen from Dearborn, MI; Marv & Miryam from Talahassee, FL; David less stoker from Asheville, NC; Mark & Debbie from Atlanta, GA; and behind the camera were David & Christen also from Atlanta. Later in the day Paul & Jody from Atlanta joined up for a second lap around Mouse Loop.
Old 01-17-05, 09:12 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bbarend
Being a roadie as well, bar ends remind feel more like being on the hoods. Therefore when standing I can use a similar climbing style.
Interestingly enough, I am so used to having bar-end like hand positions that I choose the Easton EC90 roadbar with the straight sections for my roadbike. I have spoken to a bunch of roadies who also ride a lot of MTB (mainly XC) and many of them agree with me that the profile also suits them. It's actually a shape that earlier showed up in the Modolo X-Tenos 8 roadbars.

I was originally skeptical when bar-ends first came out and it took me a year before I stuck them on but I wouldn't ride a bike without one today because I do rely on them so much for the extra hand positions.

Last edited by khuon; 01-17-05 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-18-05, 08:00 AM
Akak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Beautiful tandem! I don't know why I've never gotten one. My wife and I both ride so it would make perfect sense. In fact, I have a good friend who races them with his wife in Canada.
Old 01-18-05, 11:37 AM
SpiderMike
eert a ekil yzarc

Bikes: many bikes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bar ends have become like Checkered Slipon Vans or like these sandals that were made locally.... most hate them, but for those that still have em... man they are comfy.

I am temping with going 29. If I do, either want bar and bar ends or get the guys at my lBS to dust off a box and sell me these https://www.bikepro.com/products/hand...ott_at3_lf.jpg
Old 01-18-05, 08:21 PM
skunkty14
Back to granite

Bikes: '02 C'dale Jekyll 700, '04 C'dale R1000 Double

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Akak
Yes, I know they're old school and even considered ugly by some, but after two rides with 'em, I can't see how you ride XC without them.

Since bar ends are so visible, I figured I'd go glam
Damn straight . Forget all those who worry about style, biking upgrades should be about functionality, quality of your ride, and most importantly your enjoyment.

And if the doesn't convince anyone, maybe dropping them on climbs will help
Old 01-19-05, 02:17 AM
Brian

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We've got bar ends on our tandem too. They give me more leverage, more hand positions, and a bit of protection from trees and the like. I'm kinda big across the chest, and even a 26 inch bar feels kinda narrow, so they help open me up for climbs too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.