Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

need advice on which bike to buy

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 07-24-14, 08:17 PM
woodbutcher14

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm new to biking 57 years old and know very little about it . I live in rural Ohio and will be riding on paved roads gravel roads and maybe some dirt roads. I've called a couple lbs and told them what I was going to use the bike for . Here are the recomendations Fuji Crosstown 2.5 $389.00 KHS Brentwood $389 . I read online the Trek Verve1 is a good bike close to that price $439 msrp a friend rscomended Diamondback Edgewood from Dick's Sporting Goods $299.00 Any advice or recomendations will be greatly appreciated. I'm off to the lbs tomorrow to chec them out!
Old 07-24-14, 08:40 PM
gman214

Bikes: Breezer Storm Comp 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take a look at the Breezer Greenway bike MSRP $449. MORE BIKE FOR THE MONEY!
Old 07-25-14, 12:05 AM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
While you're at the LBS, ask to look at fitness hybrids as well as the comfort hybrids you've listed. They're lighter and quicker; depending on your ultimate riding goals, you might like one of them better. Try to ride several different types of bikes so you get a better sense of how they feel.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 07-25-14, 07:26 AM
woodbutcher14

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
should I expe t to pay msrp at the lbs

Originally Posted by mcmoose
While you're at the LBS, ask to look at fitness hybrids as well as the comfort hybrids you've listed. They're lighter and quicker; depending on your ultimate riding goals, you might like one of them better. Try to ride several different types of bikes so you get a better sense of how they feel.

Good luck and have fun!
Should I expect go pay msrp at the lbs
Old 07-25-14, 07:40 AM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mcmoose

Good luck and have fun!
Absolutely agree with this. Get a hybrid between 25-30 pounds, get "32" tires. Also, I don't know how big you are, but get a bike that feels a little big rather than go with the "size chart" fit. Expect to pay about $500 for a decent hybrid for the kind of riding you want to do. You'll have a bike that you grow into as you get fitter and more skilled. In two years the good bike will have you hooked on cycling. (Then you'll want an even better bike.) Have fun!
Old 07-25-14, 07:48 AM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gman214
Take a look at the Breezer Greenway bike MSRP $449. MORE BIKE FOR THE MONEY!
I've never heard of this bike but checked out the link. It does look like a much better bike than the other ones you have listed (I checked them out too). You can find other bikes that are similar. Go with an aluminum frame (or at least a chromoloy), 8-speed, and Altus or Aliva components (over Tourney.)
Old 07-25-14, 01:20 PM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
"Should I expect go pay msrp at the lbs?"

In my experience (which is a whopping N of 3), good LBS will knock a bit off of MSRP, but not a lot (unless it's an end-of-year clearance or the manufacturer has authorized a sale). Right now, many shops are starting to roll in their 2015 bikes, which means you might find a deal on a 2014 (or even an unloved 2013) model. As with automobiles, sometime the new model will represent a significant change (hopefully for the better, but sometimes for the worse); often, the change is trivial and/or cosmetic (e.g., a different frame color). For example, the new 2015 Trek FX 7.2 retails for $600 (well, $599.99 -- hate it when they do that). Our local dealer has the 2014 model (which listed for $550) available for $500. Plus right now they (Trek) throw in a $50 gift card for accessories. Some larger-chain brick-and-mortar can advertise bigger cuts.

If it's a good LBS, they'll work with you to stay within your budget (or close to it -- if they can really give better bang for the buck for $50 more, they may push that). Good shops know they make they money on repeat customers (both buying additional bikes, and buying part, accessories, and clothing, where the shop gets a larger margin). Good shops don't pressure sales and encourage test rides.

Good luck!
Old 07-25-14, 04:21 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by woodbutcher14
Should I expect go pay msrp at the lbs
The markup on a bicycle is very low. Bike shops make their "profit" on accessories and service. Buying a bike is not like buying a car!!!

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-25-14, 04:55 PM
woodbutcher14

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to a couple LBSs today . Dick's was a joke don't waste your te there! I decided on the Fuji Crosstown 2.5 it's sale priced at $345 but they didn't have nor could they order my size . I'm 6' tall long ams and legs 180lbs. The propritor wanted to make the sale so he agreed to move up to the next model Crosztown 2.3 for the same money! I also really likex thd HKS Brenfwood which is also sale priced at $349 until the end of the month. Thank you all for your input. I should have my new bike by ,the end of next week . I'll be back then with a pic if I an figure ouy how to post it!
Old 07-25-14, 05:01 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by woodbutcher14
I also really likex thd HKS Brenfwood ...

I'll be back then with a pic if I an figure ouy how to post it!
Do you mean KHS Brentwood?
Here's how to post pics? https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...tures-how.html

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 07-25-14, 09:39 PM
gman214

Bikes: Breezer Storm Comp 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by practical
I've never heard of this bike but checked out the link. It does look like a much better bike than the other ones you have listed (I checked them out too).
Joe Breezer the founder of mountain bike design! He designs frames for Fuji. He now has his own line!! I have the Storm Comp 29er...AWESOME BIKE!! Bike shops that sell Fuji should have access to the Breezers.
Old 07-25-14, 10:40 PM
woodbutcher14

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes KHS nice solid no frills bike and it's black which I really like.
Old 07-26-14, 12:13 AM
lost_in_endicot

Bikes: Electra Loft 7i, Fuji Crosstown 2.5, Gravity Liberty FB, Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I like my Crosstown 2.5 a lot. I originally bought it to commute to work, but I find myself riding it a lot on the weekends as well.
Old 08-28-14, 08:32 PM
Dave P

Bikes: Trek Madone, Niner Air 9, Salsa Vaya, Lotus Unique

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Hey WB:

I recently rented a Crosstown and rode it all over San Diego. I thought I would hate it, as I normally ride higher end bikes, but it was awesome!

It was an older steel version and heavily used, but it rode like a dream for a ~$300-$400 bike. The shop owner loved them, too, calling them, "very low maintenance."
Since you are just getting started again, I'd go for 2 or 3 rings in the front. The single ring on the 2.3 will not be as forgiving.

Dave
Old 08-28-14, 10:10 PM
Grey.

Bikes: 2015 Trek 7.3

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hopefully woodbutcher is out riding by now.