Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano ceramic pulley lube

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-23, 02:22 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts

Got me a set of Shimano ultegra pulley wheels. The guide pulley has an all ceramic bushing for bearing and it came dry in the package. Is it supposed to run dry or am I supposed to lube it? (There was no instructions)

I installed it with a dab of Shimano premium grease as per usual. However I'm second guessing myself.

??
Old 03-16-23, 04:02 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 105 Posts
Ball bearing or sleeve? Ceramic balls can be run without lube but in this application it makes little to no difference,
probably measured in microwatts. If shipped without lube, that is the way I would run it. FWIW ceramic bearings
were originally designed for applications running at thousands to 10s of thousands of RPM and temperatures
upwards of 800 degrees C. In bicycle applications they are designed to extract the maximum $$ from the end user.

Last edited by sch; 03-16-23 at 04:07 PM.
Likes For sch:
Old 03-16-23, 08:46 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 3,910 Times in 2,332 Posts
The reason what Shimano went to their ceramic guide pulley bushing was because of the advent of mountain biking and the increased abrasive action of the mud and dirt trail riding brought. Nothing about RPMs or even friction that I recall. All about keeping that upper pulley from flopping about with bushing wear. Andy
Old 03-16-23, 09:06 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 412 Posts
Ceramic is basically non-porous, unlike steel, as a result it is pretty much frictionless. Ceramic also dissipates heat very quickly so little for lube to do. People make a light lube for it if running dry is bothersome to you which I doubt would hurt in any way.
Old 03-16-23, 09:49 PM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
The reason what Shimano went to their ceramic guide pulley bushing was because of the advent of mountain biking and the increased abrasive action of the mud and dirt trail riding brought. Nothing about RPMs or even friction that I recall. All about keeping that upper pulley from flopping about with bushing wear. Andy
I think this is likely true. Not much hoopla about it being ceramic and they weren't very expensive either. I got them hoping they would last longer than the cheap metal and plastic pulleys they replaced, not to go faster.
Old 03-16-23, 09:55 PM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by easyupbug
Ceramic is basically non-porous, unlike steel, as a result it is pretty much frictionless. Ceramic also dissipates heat very quickly so little for lube to do. People make a light lube for it if running dry is bothersome to you which I doubt would hurt in any way.
Sure. I just leave the grease in there. Running dry just seem "wrong" but I have to question if lube is required, when out of box they are completely dry.