Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What Traffic Laws Would You Change, Remove, or Add for Safer Cycling?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-12, 03:50 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts

Every community seems to be unique with how commuting cyclists view the Rules of the Road. If you respond here, it would be helpful if you qualify a few things before giving your answer:

1. List the Town/City and State/Province (where you commute).

2. Is your commute rural, urban, or a combination?

3. Do you commute by bike daily, often, or seldom? (if you commute daily in the summer only, you should still mark "daily").

4. OK. You are the Emperor of the world! What would you change about traffic laws in your community?
Old 12-26-12, 04:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
>> people have to get out of their cars and stand next to them at stop signs and lights.
Old 12-26-12, 04:19 PM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bay area, California

Subarban

3. Do you commute by bike daily, often, or seldom? (if you commute daily in the summer only, you should still mark "daily").
Daily

4. OK. You are the Emperor of the world! What would you change about traffic laws in your community?
What fietsbob said - except I was going to say, allow cyclists to stop at stop signs without putting a foot on the ground.
Old 12-26-12, 04:35 PM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nashville Tennessee

combo - suburban/downtown urban, always inside the city limits

daily, every work day since May (save for a couple)

FRAP would be a thing of the past. Cycles would use the lanes just like any other vehicle - all the time. Passing in the same lane would be considered unsafe and a traffic violation in every instance.Move over into an adjacent lane for safe passing.
Old 12-26-12, 05:10 PM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Bay Area

Combination

Daily

Adopt the Idaho Stop Law for bicyclist. Along with having motorist requring to take a seperate test for their driver's license at the DMV that is more about bicycle rights and safety for sharing the road. Maybe than they will learn we can be on the road.
Old 12-26-12, 05:15 PM
windhchaser
Banned.

Bikes: Felt nine flow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
respect people need to learn to respect other this is for the entire usa.and there should be a tax incentive for us bikers
Old 12-26-12, 08:04 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
1. List the Town/City and State/Province (where you commute):
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Urban

Daily - all year long.

I would abolish all fines and tickets for moving violations - obviously they don't work. What I WOULD initiate is an immediate permit suspension for ALL infractions and a requirement to retake the driving exam with a 100% score in the area of the offence. Secondary offences would result in both vehicle seizure and the requirement to retake the exam. More than three offences would result in seizure of all vehicles and a lifetime denial of the right to own or operate any vehicle, as would being found to be at fault in any accident causing death or serious injury.

Bicycles would have the same rights and responsibilities as any other vehicle when being operated on a public road.

Yeah I know - I'm a despot. But 35,000 auto related deaths in the US every year is completely unacceptable and clearly - not everyone should be allowed to drive.

But if you think thats totally unreasonable - you should check out the requirements for a pilots license and the impact your driving record can have on your right to fly an airplane.

Last edited by Burton; 12-26-12 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-26-12, 09:57 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Burton
...35,000 auto related deaths in the US every year is completely unacceptable and clearly - not everyone should be allowed to drive.
Can you imagine the number of fatalities without seat-belts, airbags, and anti-lock brakes?

Statistics show that each year,43,000 or more of the United States’ population die due to vehicular accidents and around 2.9 million people end up suffering light or severe injuries. In a certain five year period, there had been recorded a 25% of the driving population who encountered or were involved in car accidents. - https://www.usacoverage.com/auto-insu...each-year.html

Like you said - less people should be allowed to drive.
Old 12-26-12, 10:56 PM
agent pombero
Mmm hm!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. List the Town/City and State/Province (where you commute)

Portland, Oregon

Urban.

Daily, 365 days a year rain or shine.

a) Bicyclists would be allowed to treat stop signs and red lights as yield signs.

b) Fines for using a cellphone would increase from ~$142 to $950 for motorized vehicles. Second offense is $2500. Third offense is loss of driving privileges for 10 years and a $8000 fine. Law enforcement for cellphone use while driving would be a top priority.

c) A DUI conviction without a crash/"accident" would lead to 7-10 years loss of drivers license.

d) A DUI conviction involving injury/death to another road user would lead to permanent revocation of a drivers license.

e) For people under 60 years old who want to drive a car: Mandatory eye exams every 5 years; retake the written exam & driving exam every 5 years.

f) For people 61 and older who want to drive a car: Mandatory eye exams every 2 years; retake the written exam & driving exam every 2 years.

Last edited by agent pombero; 12-26-12 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-26-12, 11:54 PM
nashvillwill

Bikes: Globe Vienna 3 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not my current commute, but my hometown.

Nashville, Tn.

I would get rid of all center turn lanes. Making a left turn, mid-block, would not only be illegal, but impossible due to proper road design.

Also, parking lot entrances would only be allowed from mid-block alleyways. No curb cuts.

exit: I guess my wishes aren't exactly traffic laws, but more like urban design ordinances. I don't think we can ever remove stupid drivers from the road, but we can certainly limit their opportunities to make stupid decisions.

Last edited by nashvillwill; 12-26-12 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-27-12, 12:31 AM
superfred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with nashvillwill. There will always be stupid and inattentive people and enforcing laws won't make people any less stupid or inattentive. I would require all new roads and developments to consider how to route bicycle traffic like how they already have considerations for pedestrian and car traffic. Also increase in budgets to create bicycle superhighways with footpaths running parallel so people wont be compelled to use dedicated bike paths as sidewalks.
Old 12-27-12, 01:11 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by treadtread
Bay area, California

Subarban

Daily

What fietsbob said - except I was going to say, allow cyclists to stop at stop signs without putting a foot on the ground.
Done! Read your state's vehicle code. Cyclists and motorists alike are only required to come to a complete stop behind the limit line at stop signs. Neither cyclists nor motorists are required to place a foot on the ground in order to do this.
Old 12-27-12, 05:26 AM
Telly
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Southern coastal suburbs - Athens, Greece

Urban

Daily (year long)

Enforcement: Traffic laws exist here, and although they're not perfect, if they were fully enforced things would be much better for everyone, not just cyclists.
Old 12-27-12, 08:04 AM
Worknomore

Bikes: Serotta CRL, Litespeed Blue Ridge, Bacchetta Ti Aero, Cannondale delta V, 67 Schwinn Sting Ray stick shift.

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike

Michgan
Combo

often
Since I am Emperor I would wave my majic sceptor and make it so cops actually ENFORCED existing laws.
Old 12-27-12, 08:31 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Worknomore
Since I am Emperor I would wave my majic sceptor and make it so cops actually ENFORCED existing laws.
I'd go one better and make it so so people OBEYED the laws. No need for police or the police state then.

It's not about more laws, it's about more obedience.
Old 12-27-12, 10:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Can I have a WABAC machine to change land use and zoning and other planning ,

to build the world, Infrastructure, not paved over, to deify thru Land Use,
the private automobile..?

Then there is Taxation feed the sparrow by passing everything thru the Horse.
Oil Company Ownership of the common treasury and state and 'defense' department?

.. hey its time to pony up more Taxes , or go to jail time..

the Fiscal Bluff is in the news now..

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-27-12 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-27-12, 10:42 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,539 Times in 1,048 Posts
Is this thread now opened up for posting non-bicycling related political rants?
Old 12-27-12, 11:39 AM
getyourcrayon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tampa, FL

Mostly suburban

Seldom to work, often elsewhere

make the idaho stop reality. Drivers have to retake exam every 5 years (or less).
Old 12-27-12, 11:54 AM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Speed limits of 30km/h (20mph) save lives.

European Citizenīs Initiative "30kmh – making streets liveable!"

Attached Images
Old 12-27-12, 12:10 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I like Burton's, as at least with his rules it would become illegal to run down and kill other road users.
Old 12-27-12, 12:14 PM
Zorba
"The Veiled Male"

Bikes: Biria

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Easy. There are certain roads that bicycles have no business on (outside of posted, special events). I don't ride my bike in these places (think very narrow, very windy, very rough, heavily traveled rural road with absolutely no shoulders whatsoever.), and bicyclists on these roads are a hazard to everyone, especially themselves.
Old 12-27-12, 12:50 PM
Jonathon94

Bikes: Old but Useful Huffy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
High Falls (Jackson/Forsyth Ga)
Rural
Often
Bigger fines on littering! There is a small path beside the road that I used to be able to travel in just to allow traffic to more safely pass me. Now it is littered in broken beer bottles that there is no way that I can ride it. When it gets warmer, I am considering going to clean the path up.
Old 12-27-12, 01:27 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by enigmaT120
I like Burton's, as at least with his rules it would become illegal to run down and kill other road users.

LOL Thanks but I think I fell down on the job - there really should be some jail time thrown in there too. With the cost of all the advances in science - I'd like to think shortening all those extra years of life we worked so hard for is a serious crime! We need all those people to pay off the national deficit!
Old 12-27-12, 02:27 PM
Ekdog

Bikes: Brompton M6R, mountain bikes, Circe Omnis+ tandem

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Zorba
Easy. There are certain roads that bicycles have no business on (outside of posted, special events). I don't ride my bike in these places (think very narrow, very windy, very rough, heavily traveled rural road with absolutely no shoulders whatsoever.), and bicyclists on these roads are a hazard to everyone, especially themselves.
Those roads are often the only way to get from point A to point B. How about a solution that doesn't put the onus exclusively on cyclists?
Old 12-27-12, 02:43 PM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Done! Read your state's vehicle code. Cyclists and motorists alike are only required to come to a complete stop behind the limit line at stop signs. Neither cyclists nor motorists are required to place a foot on the ground in order to do this.
This isn't true - or at least, is open to interpretation. A guy in my office got a ticket for track standing - the officer just said that he didn't wait long enough. Apparently, if he had kept his foot on the ground, that would have been long enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.