Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Today I thought about buying a Walmart bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-24, 11:02 AM
ScottCommutes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 181 Posts

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Huffy-26-...2&from=/search

I was in Walmart today and I saw this men's 26" wheel Huffy mountain bike for $98. It is essentially a dirt cheap 90's hard tail mountain bike. It is literally so dirt cheap that I realized I could buy it, strip the parts, pitch the bike, and come out with essentially a pile of parts I could use for less than 1/2 price. I realize this will probably offend 98% of the forum, but if you look at my list of parts below, most of them will work fine for kids.

My price - what I might pay if I needed this part for my kid's bike -
Grip shifter grips $10
Tires $15 x2
Grip shifters $20
Freewheel $15
Chain $15
Rear derailleur cage $10
Reflectors $5
Wheels $80ish for the pair
Tubes $4 x2
Brake pads $10
Dork disk $10
Still have the rest for picking small parts - seals, noodles, seat post and seat, bolts, etc.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 04-06-24, 11:13 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,312 Times in 1,119 Posts
Maybe you should buy two or three of them then.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 04-06-24, 11:23 AM
ScottCommutes

Originally Posted by Chuck M
Maybe you should buy two or three of them then.
Well, so far I bought zero because I just ordered a whole bunch of bike parts for the family, and that added up on me. I still might buy one however. After that, I'm tying up money for diminishing returns on items I might never actually use. I have three kids. The oldest is 10.
Old 04-06-24, 11:31 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 2,975 Times in 1,687 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottCommutes
Well, so far I bought zero because I just ordered a whole bunch of bike parts for the family, and that added up on me. I still might buy one however. After that, I'm tying up money for diminishing returns on items I might never actually use. I have three kids. The oldest is 10.
The frame is probably the most durable part of the Walmart bike. Seems a shame to throw it away. Your reasoning seems sound enough, otherwise.

One reason to consider keeping the frame: your kids may have some friends who are into getting big air on BMX bikes. Trying those same jumps on even a decent-quality MTB would likely result in a bent frame or bent fork or both. Can't hurt to have a spare frame and fork.
Old 04-06-24, 12:31 PM
Arrowana
Bike Sorceress

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts

Grip shifter grips $10 These grips are typically made of hard textured plastic designed to hurt your hands, and have no value.
Tires $15 x2 Ok, sure. They won't be great, but they will do the job.
Grip shifters $20 Grip shifters that come on bikes this cheap typically are not designed to allow for cable replacement, and are thus unusable if the cable is damaged or too short for the bike they are going on.
Freewheel $15 Not great, but will probably work for awhile. Probably will have it's internals fail before the cogs are worn out.
Chain $15 A $15 chain will be higher quality and work much better than the chain that comes on a bike like this.
Rear derailleur cage $10 Not just the cage, a whole rear derailleur!
Reflectors $5 Many bike shops are willing to just give reflectors away.
Wheels $80ish for the pair Garbage quality hubs laced to crappy rims, poorly trued and tensioned. You could get a better result ordering the cheapest wheels your LBS can find for about the same price.
Tubes $4 x2 Tubes are tubes, these should do fine.
Brake pads $10 Really crappy brake pads. Only an improvement if they are replacing a set worn down to the metal.
Dork disk $10 Why would someone pay $10 for a plastic dork disc?
Still have the rest for picking small parts - seals, noodles, seat post and seat, bolts, etc. Brake noodles are useful, seatpost is only useful if it is the correct size for the bike you want, saddle likely has too soft of padding to be comfortable.
I'd say the frame is generally the best part of one of these bikes. The rest of the parts are what hold them back.
Likes For Arrowana:
Old 04-06-24, 02:27 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1798 Post(s)
Liked 1,277 Times in 881 Posts
Might be better off looking for a $50 bike at Goodwill or similar?
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 04-06-24, 05:26 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked 1,638 Times in 1,052 Posts
...I could buy it, strip the parts...
Yep... I get it. Man, my parts bins are down to Stems and Seeds. I keep an eye out for old bikes at a good price but around my area they have disappeared.Few years ago one of my buddies came over looking for an emergency replacement 700c wheel set. All my wheel sets are 27-1/4. Well we ended up at Wallmart and picked through the 90 USD 700c bicycles till we found a decent set. Yep... 4 years latter he is still using that wheel set. I dont know what he did with the rest of the bicycle...
Old 04-06-24, 05:31 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 1,209 Times in 697 Posts
If you’re bored and need somethin’ to work on for a week or two, buy one !

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 04-06-24, 07:19 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 343 Posts

I was in Walmart today and I saw this men's 26" wheel Huffy mountain bike for $98. It is essentially a dirt cheap 90's hard tail mountain bike. It is literally so dirt cheap that I realized I could buy it, strip the parts, pitch the bike, and come out with essentially a pile of parts I could use for less than 1/2 price. I realize this will probably offend 98% of the forum, but if you look at my list of parts below, most of them will work fine for kids.
If you want to buy junk bike parts you can get them cheap online without having to buy a Huffy. Don't your kids deserve something a bit better, like maybe stuff that works reasonably well and lasts a while?
Old 04-06-24, 08:12 PM
ScottCommutes

Originally Posted by grumpus
If you want to buy junk bike parts you can get them cheap online without having to buy a Huffy. Don't your kids deserve something a bit better, like maybe stuff that works reasonably well and lasts a while?
This is a very logical position, and I'm sure many agree with you. I've certainly bought my kids lots of parts already, of various qualities.

This was a proud dad weekend, by the way. My daughter (8) was riding in a big sloping high school parking lot and started to learn to shift. Also, my son (5) finally learned how to get "off the wall" at the ice rink.

My position is not that my kids don't deserve stuff, but how I can best provide it. Every dollar I save on bike parts is a dollar I can put toward ice skating or summer camp or whatever.

I looked at the Huffy bike in person. It is an adult bike and the parts are a bit nicer than the kid offerings. The brake levers were too big for my kids, so I didn't list them. The brakes themselves were stamped steel garbage, so I didn't list those. The pedals were crap, so I didn't list them. The rear derailleur was the lowest level Shimano, so I didn't list that. The short grips excited me, because they are a little hard to find and $10 a pop. The matching set of brand new 26" treaded tires would work fine for my kids, and they would like them. The grip shifters caught my attention because a cover is missing on the bike my daughter rides. The protector for the rear derailleur caught my eye because the kids throw the bikes down on the derailleurs all the time. The wheels are the big one. They were built to support a grown man, so should do just fine for 10-12 year old kids. They were shiny, attractive, and new.

My kids hand the bikes down as they move up from the 12" wheels to the 16s, the 18s, the 20s, the 24s, and when they get to the 26" wheels, we have a smaller frame that my oldest is riding currently. The trick is making the kids love their beat up, hand me down bikes. When they were little, that meant choosing a spray paint color and some stickers. Now it's new colored cable housings and components. For example, now that my daughter is up to adult-size pedals, I bought her some decent ones that are a multi-colored pink and purple finish. She can take them with her from bike to bike.

In the end, I didn't get the bike. I have lots of parts coming in this week and hopefully won't need too many parts for awhile.
Likes For ScottCommutes:
Old 04-06-24, 09:10 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked 2,835 Times in 1,546 Posts

Grip shifter grips $10
Tires $15 x2
Grip shifters $20
Freewheel $15
Chain $15
Rear derailleur cage $10
Reflectors $5
Tubes $4 x2
Brake pads $10
Dork disk $10
Still have the rest for picking small parts - seals, noodles, seat post and seat, bolts, etc.
IME the parts don't work well at all because they are the cheapest of the cheapest (cost and quality)
Wrenching on any BSO (friends, relatives and neighbors bring them to me) will show you that. they don't adjust well, wheels don't stay true, screws and nuts are soft and strip out and round, shifters die in months the list goes on

IMHO this is a false economy that will cost more time and money over time (but cheap sunrace thumb shifters are a life saver)

Last edited by squirtdad; 04-06-24 at 09:13 PM.
Likes For squirtdad:
Old 04-06-24, 09:21 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1309 Post(s)
Liked 1,913 Times in 1,143 Posts
squirtdad ,
You wanna refresh my memory about how much it cost to get a quality bike for your DIL? And I'm gonna bet it is still working as it should. And Wally World was nowhere to bein the discussion. Smiles, MH
Old 04-07-24, 05:47 AM
bboy314

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 399 Posts
The wheels are the big one. They were built to support a grown man, so should do just fine for 10-12 year old kids. They were shiny, attractive, and new.
You make some good points, however I wouldn’t count on this one being accurate, and the wheels are the most substantial cost of all those parts.
Old 04-07-24, 09:15 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 826 Times in 624 Posts
This is a very logical position, and I'm sure many agree with you. I've certainly bought my kids lots of parts already, of various qualities.

This was a proud dad weekend, by the way. My daughter (8) was riding in a big sloping high school parking lot and started to learn to shift. Also, my son (5) finally learned how to get "off the wall" at the ice rink.

My position is not that my kids don't deserve stuff, but how I can best provide it. Every dollar I save on bike parts is a dollar I can put toward ice skating or summer camp or whatever.

I looked at the Huffy bike in person. It is an adult bike and the parts are a bit nicer than the kid offerings. The brake levers were too big for my kids, so I didn't list them. The brakes themselves were stamped steel garbage, so I didn't list those. The pedals were crap, so I didn't list them. The rear derailleur was the lowest level Shimano, so I didn't list that. The short grips excited me, because they are a little hard to find and $10 a pop. The matching set of brand new 26" treaded tires would work fine for my kids, and they would like them. The grip shifters caught my attention because a cover is missing on the bike my daughter rides. The protector for the rear derailleur caught my eye because the kids throw the bikes down on the derailleurs all the time. The wheels are the big one. They were built to support a grown man, so should do just fine for 10-12 year old kids. They were shiny, attractive, and new.

My kids hand the bikes down as they move up from the 12" wheels to the 16s, the 18s, the 20s, the 24s, and when they get to the 26" wheels, we have a smaller frame that my oldest is riding currently. The trick is making the kids love their beat up, hand me down bikes. When they were little, that meant choosing a spray paint color and some stickers. Now it's new colored cable housings and components. For example, now that my daughter is up to adult-size pedals, I bought her some decent ones that are a multi-colored pink and purple finish. She can take them with her from bike to bike.

In the end, I didn't get the bike. I have lots of parts coming in this week and hopefully won't need too many parts for awhile.
You're a good dad using your acumen to maximize the spare $. When mine were small there weren't many options for higher quality bikes except BMX. We had bikes that all four kids used as one outgrew and another stepped in. I'd repaint and refurbish as necessary.
Likes For 2old:
Old 04-07-24, 10:07 AM
Eyes Roll

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 49 Posts
It is literally so dirt cheap that I realized I could buy it, strip the parts, pitch the bike, and come out with essentially a pile of parts I could use for less than 1/2 price.
Excellent strategy, Sir.
Old 04-07-24, 10:11 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4434 Post(s)
Liked 1,576 Times in 1,038 Posts
I don't know why anyone would need so many replacement parts for other bikes in the first place. The bikes I rode as a kid never wore out anything but tires. What has happened to these bikes that they need all this stuff replaced? Why not buy a used bike shop bike for $100 and ride it as is?
Old 04-07-24, 11:40 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Croll '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 269 Posts
This topic stirs my memory about a good friend calling me over to his house to help sort out a mechanical problem.
Turns out he bought a Walmart mountain bike for, say, $140. He proudly stated he got their high-end model. lol
Spent a few minutes poking around to determine the freewheel assploded during his first miles. Bearings tumbling out everywhere.
Then all the crap components and stuff that could break after taking some modest jolts.
I told him to take it back for a full refund and go to our local shop to get something legit.
Dude could afford most anything, too. Boggled my mind how he equated it with one costing $500 at the LBS.
Old 04-07-24, 12:37 PM
ScottCommutes

Originally Posted by Kontact
What has happened to these bikes that they need all this stuff replaced? Why not buy a used bike shop bike for $100 and ride it as is?
Nothing happening with the bikes except wear and tear and old age. They were all (except one) curb finds before my three kids even started with them. They just need parts from time to time.

I brought my son's bike into the local bike shop for a replacement front derailleur. The guy at the desk pushed back and said essentially that the derailleur moved freely and could probably be made to work. I told him that it was so rusty and nasty that I didn't care if he could make it work or not - I wanted a shiny new part. He smiled and ordered one.
Old 04-07-24, 01:05 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2341 Post(s)
Liked 2,835 Times in 1,546 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
squirtdad ,
You wanna refresh my memory about how much it cost to get a quality bike for your DIL? And I'm gonna bet it is still working as it should. And Wally World was nowhere to bein the discussion. Smiles, MH
This is a little different situation, but what Mad Honk is referring is that there are a lot of good older bikes to be found that are higher quality than BSO big box store bikes the longer story to is that he gave a nice older bike to my future daughter in law (PHD student in gravitational physics at purdue) that she uses everyday (except maybe snow days) to commute to class and lab. (He went over and above and even delivered the bike)

I understand what ScottCommutes is try to do maintaining his kids fleet of bikes and balancing bike costs with all the other kids costs. as I noted in another IME all the parts on the bike he did not get, are so sub par (have worked on lot over the years, friends, neighbors, relatives, bike charity) that i think he would have regretted

Congrats on the kids accomplishments..... the need to go into the shop and build you a best dad badge

Old 04-07-24, 08:19 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4389 Post(s)
Liked 4,028 Times in 2,689 Posts
I mean I guess buying the cheapest of the cheap to have broken parts in your bin is something to do? There are so many decent but cheap 90s mountain bikes that would be great for kids or plenty of decent longer lasting kids bikes and I generally see plenty of listings for parts in various places.

I mean I get that the false economy seems good but the bikes aren't of any quality and the parts are not designed to last in any sense of the word. I could understand if the child is literally growing out of the bike in a short time and riding very infrequently and you have the mechanical knowledge to basically overhaul the bike and build it properly but even then time is money and buying a bike to toss it into the trash which is what I would do with one of those things is just silly.
Old 04-07-24, 09:15 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4434 Post(s)
Liked 1,576 Times in 1,038 Posts
There's also a question if this new bike is likely to donate that many parts that are compatible with bikes they're intended for.
Old 04-08-24, 08:00 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked 1,764 Times in 969 Posts
I would not buy the proposed. The op is much better off using a local bike kitchen
Old 04-08-24, 08:12 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 545 Posts
My 2 cents, pass on the Walmart bike. My son is 13 and so far I have bought him 2 bikes. The first was a Redline BMX bike circa 2005 that was fairly high end in its day. It was very scratched up but no dents. I replaced the heavily scratched pedals and stem, stripped the paint, new grips, seat and rear brake. I did a full service on it and I’m in it about $150.

Bike number 2 is an extra small (39 cm) 800 series Trek. Gripshift, 26” wheels, rigid fork and it is darned near perfect. Total investment, $80. When I started looking, I saw several similar bikes in the same size, condition and price. He’s growing quite quickly and has an interest in road bikes so that may be the next purchase or I’ll slap together the medium-sized Killer V I have been slow to progress on. I’ve spent an irresponsible amount of money on it but it will fit me if he outgrows it.
Old 04-08-24, 09:28 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 339 Posts
Grip shifter grips $10
Tires $15 x2
Grip shifters $20
Freewheel $15
Chain $15
Rear derailleur cage $10
Reflectors $5
Tubes $4 x2
Brake pads $10
Dork disk $10
A pile of parts that no one wants.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 04-08-24, 10:15 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked 1,915 Times in 1,101 Posts
although it can vary and be sporadic (?) - there is typically a good supply of available decent quality used bikes for kids

at one time they were plentiful at flea markets, garage sales etc - now fairly common on craigslist and FB marketplace

can often pass the bike(s) down to the next younger kid(s) - and then when outgrown sell at similar price (or even higher and turn a small profit)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.