Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ortlieb Pannier issue

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ortlieb Pannier issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-24, 05:50 AM
Bikerdrummer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Ortlieb Pannier issue

I bought a set of the gravel panniers less than a year ago and never used them. I tried to add it on a rack yesterday and one of the clips didn’t fit the hook. The hook was too large and the clip wouldn’t snap in, there was a gap in the hook. See pic. Waiting to hear what the store will do, I’m hoping I don’t have to pay to mail it to ortlieb. Kind of a disappointment for an expensive brand new product that’s so simple to have an issue like this but that’s how it goes.
Anyone else have an issue with their panniers?
Old 04-11-24, 06:10 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 399 Posts
Looks like one hook has the gray plastic insert and the other does not. Normally Ortlieb panniers come with varying sizes if these plastic inserts, to fit to different widths of rack tubing.
Likes For bboy314:
Old 04-11-24, 06:22 AM
Bikerdrummer

Originally Posted by bboy314
Looks like one hook has the gray plastic insert and the other does not. Normally Ortlieb panniers come with varying sizes if these plastic inserts, to fit to different widths of rack tubing.
they are all gray. I don’t have the other side clip installed. It did come with various sizes and they fit the other 3 clips but not this 1 clip. It’s too large for all of them.
Old 04-11-24, 09:20 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 766 Times in 399 Posts
Ah, I misunderstood the issue. So maybe the one hook is a little bit bent? I might try some very careful bending, though it’s risky with plastic. Probably best to first contact the shop, and maybe reach out directly to Ortlieb as well. Another option might be attaching the plastic insert with a dab of glue to keep it in place.
Old 04-11-24, 09:50 AM
Bikerdrummer

Originally Posted by bboy314
Ah, I misunderstood the issue. So maybe the one hook is a little bit bent? I might try some very careful bending, though it’s risky with plastic. Probably best to first contact the shop, and maybe reach out directly to Ortlieb as well. Another option might be attaching the plastic insert with a dab of glue to keep it in place.
it’s a molded hard plastic so any bending would likely result in cracking it. Definitely not going to glue it, it’s brand new. Will see if they shop can help out. Will also contact the company. Maybe they will just send me a new hook?
Old 04-11-24, 10:08 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18443 Post(s)
Liked 15,655 Times in 7,364 Posts
I put my inserts in Packer panniers 14 years ago and have never had a problem, but mine probably use an older mounting system. I do remember they required a bit of force to get them snapped in correctly. That's so they don't come out.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-11-24, 11:38 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4813 Post(s)
Liked 3,942 Times in 2,564 Posts
My Ortleibs have hooks that are opened with the carrying strap and sometimes need to be closed with it. A straight up pull opens. Pulling out and down closes. I usually don't have to close the hooks when I drop a loaded pannier onto the rack but usually do when the panniers are empty. I think you have the same hooks.

My panniers are the smaller front ones from 1999 and 2009. I have replaced hardware a couple of time. Love that I can just walk into a shop, have them order it and a week later, the bags are mounting like brand new. (And thank you, Ortleib for not obsoleting them.)