Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Compu Trainer- Tips, Tricks & insights

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-12, 02:14 PM
PAlt
The guy in the 50+ jersey

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Through a fortunate set of circumstances, I've come into possesion of a Compu Trainer. Have ridden one in various classes, but now I have a machine for personal use. Had up and running in the personal "pain cave" for a few weeks so far, and first observations are these:
1) Having taken several of my usual routes, and ridden them with FTP power set at my measured level, I've concluded you never really are riding as hard as you think on training rides.
2) When I look at my Spin Scan, I seem to be more efficient when under load, vs. when spinning easier, which seems counter-intuitive to me.
3) Using this will either kill me or make me stronger (which was kind of the point in getting it)
4) I hate the "metal man"! Not fair if you don't need recovery for your HR.

Wondering if anyone here has one, any tricks, tips, insights and their own experiences to share.

Last edited by PAlt; 02-16-12 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-17-12, 07:25 PM
PAlt

Bikes: Specialized S-Works Roubaix, Litespeed Tuscany Road, Specialized Allez Epic lugged carbon frame Road,Giant Anthem 29'r, Klein Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really? 51 views (not including my one) and not a SINGLE response?
Old 02-20-12, 06:49 PM
PAlt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK - Question to the Mods...What's the record # of views without a SINGLE response???
Old 02-22-12, 06:15 PM
paisan

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got one back in November and absolutely love it. It has made indoor riding so much more interesting.

Originally Posted by PAlt
1) Having taken several of my usual routes, and ridden them with FTP power set at my measured level, I've concluded you never really are riding as hard as you think on training rides.
Because metal man will maintain the same power regardless if he's going up or downhill it's a real challenge to keep with him. I find myself gaining on him uphill but losing distance as soon as the terrain levels out. What I've found to be a bit easier but more challenging because I actually stand a chance at winning is to race against a previous performance. This way the metal man is riding a bit more realistically.

Originally Posted by PAlt
2) When I look at my Spin Scan, I seem to be more efficient when under load, vs. when spinning easier, which seems counter-intuitive to me.
to share.
I've noticed the same exact thing as you. Not really sure why, but I agree it appears that there has to be some kind of load in order to get the spin scan numbers to 50/50.
Old 03-04-12, 08:12 AM
Bootlegger
Velcro

Bikes: Ridley Damocles ISP / Specialized Epic 29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been using a Computrainer for about 14 months now. Huge advantage in indoor cycling (live in Northern Ohio) and nice increase in average watts. I agree with the comment that you never really seem to ride as hard outside as you think. There is no fooling a wattage measurement. That's why I took the plunge and I'm building up a powermeter wheel. The spinscan is a great feature and it is much harder to remain smooth when not under load (spinning). That's a great thing to work on to improve your efficiency. The metal man is just a target. If the course you are riding is flat set his watts a little higher. If it's hilly move it down.

Remember races are won on the trainer in preparation for the season. "I'm kicking my butt now so I can kick your later" is the motto I use as I'm gasping for air and my legs are screaming to stop....and the wife has her finger on the 911 button of the phone.

Have fun.