Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shoulder Impingement and Cycling

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Shoulder Impingement and Cycling

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-18, 09:09 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11966 Post(s)
Liked 6,633 Times in 3,478 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvir
I went through the same crap with my shoulder. Spent more money than a brand new car with no results, Therapy, Xray, MRI, more therapy. bla bla bla. ONE thing that has helped me tremendously is using a pull up bar and just hanging on it for as long as you can. Shoot for a minute, two, and up to five minutes. Its essentially a great stretch and will realign your shoulders. Its a number one thing Calisthenics athletes talk about when it comes to shoulder health. I did It and honestly feel like my overall shoulder health has improved in matter of a week.
That sounds encouraging. I've been battling shoulder issues since December.
Old 04-26-18, 09:24 AM
Elvir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
That sounds encouraging. I've been battling shoulder issues since December.

I would def. encourage you to try it. Pull up bar can be had for $25 at wall mart and you can always return it.

I injured my right shoulder by tearing a ligament and i've dealt with pain for 4 years. I literally gave up on everything and everybody. This was just one thing I had and read about and tried.

Last year, I crashed off my bike and dislocated my left shoulder. So now you can say I got two Fubared shoulders but after letting the injury heal for about 2 weeks, I once again started hanging off pull up bars and feel the left shoulder started healing very very fast.
Old 04-26-18, 05:28 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Did some hanging rehab yesterday. My mobility is slowly improving but it still hurt all night. Took some OTC, but its still hurts like the devil. Ouch!
Old 04-26-18, 05:34 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Did some hanging rehab yesterday. My mobility is slowly improving but it still hurt all night. Took some OTC, but its still hurts like the devil. Ouch!
Are you talking about NSAIDs?
Old 04-26-18, 05:44 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by McBTC
Are you talking about NSAIDs?
I take aspirin the only OTC NSAID that works on me. I had a more potent prescription for Vicodin (hydrocodone and acetaminophen) but that ran out.

Need to check into the pain management clinic to get any more supply. I haven't done so yet because I'm trying to fight it on my own. I really do need to have some on standby though, since sometimes the pain can become maddening.
Old 04-26-18, 06:01 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
I take aspirin the only OTC NSAID that works on me. I had a more potent prescription for Vicodin (hydrocodone and acetaminophen) but that ran out.

Need to check into the pain management clinic to get any more supply. I haven't done so yet because I'm trying to fight it on my own. I really do need to have some on standby though, since sometimes the pain can become maddening.
I am not a doctor but my take on it is, Vicodin is nothing but a pain killer. A drug to use if you didn't now about the efficacy of hanging would be e.g., ibuprofen-- which is a strong anti-inflammatory. The thing is, the OTC dose 200 mg. but the therapeutic does is 800 (which is what a dentist would give you after working on your teeth). You'd probably get the necessary inflammatory effect with 600 but not the pain-relief of 800. Then, you take the therapeutic dose for 2, 3, 4, 6 weeks-- hopefully not burning a hole in your intestine (take with food and water) but only if you completely avoid what makes it hurt as that just aggravates the condition and continues the inflammation. For example, if you're right handed and you close your car door with your right arm and it hurts... you use your left arm to close the door, etc., Or, you get surgery. Or... see if there is something to this hanging idea.
Old 04-26-18, 06:27 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Bone remodeling is slow, takes weeks. Keep at it, don't be discouraged. Tell you a funny story while you wait: One of my gym friends is an internationally ranked powerlifter. He has shoulder problems too and has watched my wife and I hang for a couple of years. So he tried it. Ooops, can't do it for more than about 30 seconds - too heavy for his hand or forearm endurance. It pays to be light or at least lightish. He deadlifts - I don't know exactly but for sure over 500, but that's only for a few seconds. He had to explain to me why there were 2-1/2 lb. plates in the squat and deadlift racks . . .
Old 04-26-18, 07:18 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by McBTC
I am not a doctor but my take on it is, Vicodin is nothing but a pain killer. A drug to use if you didn't now about the efficacy of hanging would be e.g., ibuprofen-- which is a strong anti-inflammatory. The thing is, the OTC dose 200 mg. but the therapeutic does is 800 (which is what a dentist would give you after working on your teeth). You'd probably get the necessary inflammatory effect with 600 but not the pain-relief of 800. Then, you take the therapeutic dose for 2, 3, 4, 6 weeks-- hopefully not burning a hole in your intestine (take with food and water) but only if you completely avoid what makes it hurt as that just aggravates the condition and continues the inflammation. For example, if you're right handed and you close your car door with your right arm and it hurts... you use your left arm to close the door, etc., Or, you get surgery. Or... see if there is something to this hanging idea.
As a matter of fact, that was among my first prescriptions (800 mg.). My fear is as you suggest.

I also have other, anti-inflammatory/anti-spasms, but those mess with my head. I won't take any medication that leaves me brain-dead.
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Bone remodeling is slow, takes weeks. Keep at it, don't be discouraged. Tell you a funny story while you wait: One of my gym friends is an internationally ranked powerlifter. He has shoulder problems too and has watched my wife and I hang for a couple of years. So he tried it. Ooops, can't do it for more than about 30 seconds - too heavy for his hand or forearm endurance. It pays to be light or at least lightish. He deadlifts - I don't know exactly but for sure over 500, but that's only for a few seconds. He had to explain to me why there were 2-1/2 lb. plates in the squat and deadlift racks . . .
I'm not sure if its the pain or the concomitant depression that's the worse. I persevere.
Old 04-26-18, 10:48 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
<snip> I'm not sure if its the pain or the concomitant depression that's the worse. I persevere.
I know what you mean. We get addicted to success.
Old 04-27-18, 03:16 AM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
I got into a car accident and it caused huge back problems. The only way I could get around it was heavy weight lifting "around" the parts that were hurting. PT is usually a joke because it is too direct yet does not strengthen enough to make a difference. Now, if I take a week off weights, my back starts to agonize and it goes away once I go work out again. If you work out your biceps and triceps heavily then I bet your shoulder will start to feel a lot better after not long.
Old 04-27-18, 03:42 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Oneder
I got into a car accident and it caused huge back problems. The only way I could get around it was heavy weight lifting "around" the parts that were hurting. PT is usually a joke because it is too direct yet does not strengthen enough to make a difference. Now, if I take a week off weights, my back starts to agonize and it goes away once I go work out again. If you work out your biceps and triceps heavily then I bet your shoulder will start to feel a lot better after not long.
Umm, well yes, and no. And not one or two muscles, but the entire shoulder muscle group.

For example, if I were to exercise my back and shoulder there is a reaction where the pain goes up substantially. However, because this increase in pain is a response I know it coming and can brace for it. That's typically when I take my pain killers when its at it worse.

Now the first question would be, why would anyone exercise if that make the pain worse. The answer is because lack of exercise doesn't solve the problem. Rather, that's running away from it.

The muscles will atrophy (this was my initial condition), and eventually result in an even greater lack of mobility. This is the biggest problem with society today. We stop exercising due to pain, especially as we get older, which only exacerbates and accelerates the aging process.

Instead, we should consider that every little bit of exercise helps, and strengthens the surrounding muscles thereby give us a bit more mobility. In rehab, I'm talking about only fractions of improvement, so this is not an overnight solution. But unlike the alternative, it is moving forward.