Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Would a different saddle help?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Would a different saddle help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-18, 11:17 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
@ my LBS, which is somewhat typical, they have a box of 'Take Off' saddles,, saddle new, just bike buyer wanted something else, so its cheaper & you could probably buy 1 ,
swap it with another and ride each a couple days , to see if you like it better ..
Old 05-04-18, 11:46 AM
Digital Gee
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Connie40023

I was in a bike store in 1993 buying a new Trek hybrid. I was prepared to spend addition dollars on a seat "upgrade" right then and there, but the dealer told me the best seat was probably the one already on my bike and the key was in my acclimating myself to the seat. I did what he said and I've never needed to replace a seat. I can't seem to upload a photo so I can't show you the very minimal little seat I'm currently riding on my Giant TCX. The key to comfort is in taking 15 seconds at intervals to lift your behind off the saddle and allow blood to completely return to the area.
I'm probably going a completely different route. My achy body just isn't up to the break-In period anymore. I'm looking into recumbent trikes, and am taking a (car) road trip in a couple of weeks to Sacramento, where the nearest dealers are, to check them out. I want to keep ridding, but I don't want to keep having issues about comfort. It's not just the saddle, it's the wrists, the shoulders, the neck, even getting on and off the bike, you name it. I've reached an age where I must make changes to satisfy my desires to be out on a bike, and somehow trikes are starting to look very attractive to me.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 05-06-18, 02:58 PM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
It took me several tries to find a saddle I liked and that was comfortable for me. My LBS has some kind of device to measure the distance between your sit bones and, from there, recommend the optimal saddle size. As is always the case for my body, my sit bones didn't neatly match up to any one saddle size (at least, one that they had in their inventory). The guidance from the LBS was that, if you're in the middle, err on the side of the narrower saddle. So I did that. This shop did allow for a trial period (I think a week) to try it out and let you return it if it wasn't comfortable. I kept it past the trial period to confirm if it was the right or wrong fit as initially, albeit on shortish rides, it felt ok. But, after a while, it just wasn't feeling right so I bought the next size up saddle. Still, didn't feel right - my butt got sore and made longer rides more uncomfortable. So, I joined the Brooks cult and have been very happy, Put a Brooks on my day-to-day road bike and my touring bike and will get the same when I get my next bike.

The saddle is one of the biggest contributors to riding comfort ... if you can swing it, pay the extra to get the most comfortable saddle you can.
Old 05-07-18, 08:18 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The saddle is important but so is the fit. I have a saddle I love but recently I raised the seat about an inch and a half too high. My sit bone was in agony after a couple of 50 mile rides. Lowered it a smidge after that and things are good again.
Old 05-13-18, 03:55 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
If your butt just can't get comfy with the current saddle try a Selle Anatomica. I have an X series on both of my bikes.
Been riding as an adult since 1973. After dozens of saddles over the years (most of which still hang on my garage wall) I switched to the SA five years ago and it changed my cycling completely. Instead of how much discomfort can I tolerate and for how long.....I now don't even think about my butt when I ride. A total eye-opener!
Old 05-13-18, 04:37 PM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I got a Selle Anatomical about a month ago. It feels great, no butt pain at all. But co-extensive with the period I have been riding with it I have developed pretty severe pain in my left hip. I have dropped the Selle for now to see if the issue resolves. If so, I guess the only way I will be sure it was the saddle will be to try it again b
Old 05-14-18, 07:04 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Selle AnAtomica - comfort, right out of the box! MHO