Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

e-bike frame supplier/builder

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 07-19-18, 04:10 PM
Phlorida

Bikes: 17 Spot Acme, 14 Lynskey Peleton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I’m envisioning a Shimano Steps urban bike with a Shimano Alfine 8i drive and am not finding much so I am considering building a bike. I’m stuck on step #1 - the frame. I’m not finding many options and am seeking some thoughts from forum members.
Old 07-20-18, 10:05 AM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
See: https://www.velonews.com/2018/06/bik...cyclist_470738

There are a LOT of custom frame builders out there, very few have e-bike experience. The custom frame will be expensive - figure $2K to $3K for the frame. You should inquire on the frame builders forum https://www.bikeforums.net/framebuilders/
Old 07-20-18, 11:03 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
Have you ascertained that the Shimano system is available as a motor/battery/controller/incidentals only? I thought those manufacturers dealt OEM only (but I could easily be wrong about it since I only tried to procure a Bosch system for a small manufacturer, but was rebuffed by them even though I knew their Director of Operations).
Old 07-20-18, 01:40 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
you can buy a STEPs by itself, I priced one and it's not cheap. Something like $1500. I feel like there are Steps bikes out there, might not be as easy to get as bosch or panasonic though.

After getting that price I got a lot more interested in the Bafang.

I see trek uses Bosch and Spesh uses their own, wonder if that is Bafang or something else.

Last edited by unterhausen; 07-20-18 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-20-18, 02:51 PM
Phlorida

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve already come to the same conclusion that this group has that this isn’t going to be a inexpensive ride. I am down the Shimano Steps path because of the Alfine 8i integrations and the support for the belt drive from Gates. My current primary ride is an IGH with a Gates carbon belt and I am a huge advocate of the combination. I’d like a very similar bike with electric assist and electronic shifting.

The Shimano Steps components are available and the sellers are all asking full MSRP.

The frame remains the primary impediment to the project. The usual sources including Alibaba yield nothing for ebike frames. I’ll try the suggestion to post in the frame builders forum. I appreciate everyone’s insight.
Old 07-20-18, 03:05 PM
Phlorida

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nfmisso
See: https://www.velonews.com/2018/06/bik...cyclist_470738

There are a LOT of custom frame builders out there, very few have e-bike experience. The custom frame will be expensive - figure $2K to $3K for the frame. You should inquire on the frame builders forum https://www.bikeforums.net/framebuilders/
An interesting article, thank you. I’m not riding my Lynskey as much these days but a titanium e-bike frame would be over the top.

Last edited by Phlorida; 07-20-18 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-20-18, 03:21 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
There is at least one Chinese company that makes frames (hardtail and FS) for the Bafang Ultra (I had their e-catalog but deleted it since I didn't want that system - too powerful for offroad IMO). If interested, you might be able to locate it in endless sphere; that's where I found it).
Old 07-21-18, 09:05 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Shimano had a really good deal on the steps system for framebuilders if they would show the resulting bike at NAHBS. You can find pictures of them on flickr. Use your favorite search engine to search for shimano steps nahbs. The main year for that was 2015, but there have been examples every year since

A stock ebike with one of the big name ebike motors costs at least $3500. I would expect to pay more from a custom builder. The one ebike I have seen that was built for a customer was by Rob English
here is a blog post about it Dale?s STEPS e-bike | English Cycles
his basic frame price is $3200 as of this writing. I assume the ebike is considerably more

Originally Posted by nfmisso
please don't cross-post, it's not allowed on bikeforums. This is the best place for this question

Last edited by unterhausen; 07-21-18 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-22-18, 01:08 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
You will need the steps motor mount and a frame builder to weld it into a custom frame:

https://framebuildersupply.com/colle...c-motor-mounts