Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Switchback Ramp at Pittsburgh End of GAP Nearing Completion

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 05-07-18, 10:52 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts

Almost Ready To Roll: Missing Link In GAP Trail Downtown Nearing Completion | 90.5 WESA

No actual date mentioned, other than "as soon as possible." This should eliminate road-riding between Point State Park and where the "car-free" trail starts.
Old 05-07-18, 11:50 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I hate turning the corners on those ramps with a fully loaded touring bike. Just sayin.
Old 05-07-18, 02:05 PM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
"Opening in August or September" even though the ramp itself is poured and done. Gotta love the pace of public works projects! But it will be a nice addition. I got really lost and confused there two years ago when I started from the Point on my GAP ride.
Old 05-07-18, 02:25 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
I hate turning the corners on those ramps with a fully loaded touring bike. Just sayin.
Beats this

Old 05-07-18, 02:26 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by Philly Tandem
I got really lost and confused there two years ago when I started from the Point on my GAP ride.
All you needed to do was ask.
Old 05-07-18, 05:24 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4407 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 3,022 Posts
Originally Posted by Altair 4
Almost Ready To Roll: Missing Link In GAP Trail Downtown Nearing Completion 90.5 WESA

No actual date mentioned, other than "as soon as possible." This should eliminate road-riding between Point State Park and where the "car-free" trail starts.

Now I am torn between the Katy and the GAP to ride this summer.
Old 05-07-18, 05:53 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

This might tip the balance.
Old 05-07-18, 07:09 PM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
All you needed to do was ask.
I would have, but I didn't see you around when I was lost! ;-)

I went to the Point on a whim; hadn't really planned to do so, but I thought "why not"? I was using my hotel-provided tourist map to navigate there...
Old 05-07-18, 07:50 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by Philly Tandem
I would have, but I didn't see you around when I was lost! ;-)

I went to the Point on a whim; hadn't really planned to do so, but I thought "why not"? I was using my hotel-provided tourist map to navigate there...
That was you first mistake, Venturing out without contacting me.
Old 05-08-18, 06:42 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Spinnaker,
Is that you, couldn't resist one of me. Great to have biking and whitewater near Pittsburgh.
Old 05-08-18, 06:47 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

I am not that brave. The run from Confluence to Ohiopyle has enough rapids for me.
Old 06-15-18, 09:10 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

During last evening's ride, I stopped to view and photograph the progress of the switchback. They've got a ways to go to get this finished and even farther to go to make the immediate area visually appealing.

Safety rails need to be installed and grading/resurfacing on the approach are as yet unfinished.

The path section of the Mon Wharf leading up to the switchback is in desperate need of cleaning and replanting. The parking area surface has many wide cracks that need addressing. It has a lot of potential, but I think the summer season is going to be over before this project reaches completion.

It was a beautiful evening for ride, though, with the temperature being 78 and low humidity at 35%. The dew point was in the upper 40's. So pleasant and rare for us!
Old 08-09-18, 12:34 PM
eridout

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Best directions from Pittsburgh Point to the GAP trail?

Originally Posted by Altair 4
During last evening's ride, I stopped to view and photograph the progress of the switchback. They've got a ways to go to get this finished . . .
Thanks for the photos in June. Is the new ramp open yet?
Otherwise, I'm hoping for recommendations on the best bike route from Pittsburgh Point to the GAP trail.
Friends and I are planning a September ride.
Old 08-09-18, 01:28 PM
DIY masochist

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, 1977 Motobecane Super Mirage

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's getting close, they have started putting the fence up. BikePGH thread here.

I'm not sure if this actually gets rid of the Ft Pitt Blvd nightmare to connect the point to the rest of the GAP though. It's hard to see on Google Maps where that trail goes. Now I have an excuse to go ride down there tonight and investigate
Old 08-09-18, 01:37 PM
Altair 4

I haven't ridden past it since late July:

How adverse are you to street riding? What day of the week would you be riding in Pittsburgh?

I've shepherded a family of 4 on a Saturday morning from Point State Park's fountain to the dedicated trail using part of the route shown on the GAP's website: https://gaptrail.org/explore/printable-maps . The change I made was making a right onto Smithfield Street, using the bus lane. Then I had them ride out the Eliza Furnace trail (locally known as the "Jail Trail") which is also part of the GAP. If you were planning on riding here on a weekday at rush hour, my suggestion would be different.

There are alternatives, some of which will have you deal with some temporary trails on the Southside of Pittsburgh (across the Monongahela River from the downtown core) due to new construction near Station Square. .
Old 08-09-18, 02:33 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by eridout
Thanks for the photos in June. Is the new ramp open yet?
Otherwise, I'm hoping for recommendations on the best bike route from Pittsburgh Point to the GAP trail.
Friends and I are planning a September ride.
Regardless if it is ready or not a better ride will be along the Allegheny River side then cross under the convention center. If the fountain is on you will be in for a real treat. Head toward Grant Street, then take Grant. At the end of Grant there is a place where you can hop on the sidewalk to cross the Smithfield Street Bridge. Grant is cobblestone with just a bit of traffic but IMHO some of the best architecture in the city along that street.

DOn't forget to visit Bicycle Heaven before setting out.
Old 08-09-18, 06:07 PM
DIY masochist

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, 1977 Motobecane Super Mirage

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It looks like all they have to do is put on those two panels of fence on the left and open up the gates at the start and end. I assume they'll probably want to pave the bottom or something before it opens up, though. The ramp is very wide. I wouldn't have any qualms about making that turn fully loaded. It will connect you all the way to the point without having to go on the road when it's done. TBH, there's a place on the trail between this ramp and the point where it gets pinched between a big column and a fence. Probably more annoying to ride through that than anything.

Old 08-09-18, 08:09 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

I think this was a huge waste of money and doesn't serve the city well as far as the GAP is concerned. I would rather see a route through downtown to get from the point to the north side. Pittsburgh has some awesome architecture. Some of the best in the world and it should be enjoyed by visitors. I had a friend come visit from Slovenia and he was very impressed with many of our buildings. That says a lot considering all the wonderful architecture that can be found through Europe and eastern Europe.

It does keep folks off of the streets and on the trails but I can't think of a street in the downtown area were I feel uncomfortable riding even during rush hour.

I just hope this connection doesn't encourage people from taking the direct route to get onto the GAP rather than take a few minutes to tour though on wonderful city and marvel at all of the architecture that you will never see built again.
Old 08-10-18, 10:37 AM
Altair 4

Originally Posted by DIY masochist
It looks like all they have to do is put on those two panels of fence on the left and open up the gates at the start and end. I assume they'll probably want to pave the bottom or something before it opens up, though. The ramp is very wide. I wouldn't have any qualms about making that turn fully loaded. It will connect you all the way to the point without having to go on the road when it's done. TBH, there's a place on the trail between this ramp and the point where it gets pinched between a big column and a fence. Probably more annoying to ride through that than anything.
Agreed on that pinch point! I'd like to see the state park's dumpsters moved out of the way or to a different location as well.
Old 08-10-18, 11:32 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Huh, I think I crossed at the Hot Metal Bridge both times. Did I do it wrong? Do I have to go again? 3rd time's a charm!
Old 08-10-18, 12:10 PM
Altair 4

Originally Posted by Rob_E
Huh, I think I crossed at the Hot Metal Bridge both times. Did I do it wrong? Do I have to go again? 3rd time's a charm!
That's the way I'd go. You get that nice last view of the city skyline and the photo op that way.
Old 08-10-18, 12:42 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by Rob_E
It is a much quieter ride if you take the Smithfield St bridge and take the trail on that side of the river. The 'jail trail" can be very noisy from traffic. I much prefer the south side of the river.
Old 08-10-18, 12:51 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
It is a much quieter ride if you take the Smithfield St bridge and take the trail on that side of the river. The 'jail trail" can be very noisy from traffic. I much prefer the south side of the river.
Some local took me to what I think you are talking about when you say Jail Trail that I then took to Hot Metal. It was noisy. If I ever do it again I will take Smithfield. Haven't seen that part of the South Side in decades. Used to go to Blue Lou's every once in a while during law school.

Hey, babushka mamma. Take a walk on the South Side. And the Polish girls go do do do do.....
Old 08-10-18, 01:00 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

It is actually even nicer if you take the Allegheny river side bike path and cross under the convention center. Then make your way down Grant St to the Smithfield St. Bridge. Takes a bit of figuring to get on to the sidewalk/path that leads to the bridge but it is pretty much across the the PNC building
Old 08-10-18, 03:01 PM
eridout

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Any updates on getting from Pittsburgh Point to the GAP trail?

Thank you Spinnaker!

Regardless if it is ready or not a better ride will be along the Allegheny River side then cross under the convention center. If the fountain is on you will be in for a real treat. Head toward Grant Street, then take Grant. At the end of Grant there is a place where you can hop on the sidewalk to cross the Smithfield Street Bridge. Grant is cobblestone with just a bit of traffic but IMHO some of the best architecture in the city along that street.

DOn't forget to visit Bicycle Heaven before setting out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.