Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

racing without a power meter?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

racing without a power meter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-19, 09:24 AM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road and canti MX, Cannondale CAAD12, Bob Jackson Vigorelli

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
I appreciate hearing your data as a person that actually uses one in a race. I had not heard that much (can't recall at all) before. I found that while many use them for training, few changed how they road in a race because of what the number said.

To be clear, you are saying the number you see makes you ride differently than if you saw another number. Or...if aliens hijacked your display, you would do different things based on the number.

The pros do look at them and react / maintain based on the numbers. It increases the boring factor. They should be banned from pro races, as they are from track.
This only works if you know your power zones. If you're out there without guideposts on your power, the number is irrelevant. I've spent time staring at Golden Cheetah trying to understand what my body is doing. Think of power zones 1/2/3 as "save" and 5/6/7 as "spend." Zone 4 is threshold and can be either depending on how it is used. Strategies in a race against others (as opposed to a time trial) come down to "save a lot and spend wisely." In terms of that, then I can modify my strategy, so in that regard it influences my race.