Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Worth upgrading from trekking to road?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-19, 01:28 AM
MayD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I've been thinking about upgrading (well, buying additional one ) to second hand middle-range or new lower-range (cca 1k euro +/-) road bike.

It would be mostly used for driving to work (20km / 12,5mi each way) on quite straight road with *laptop in my backpack* 2-3 times a week when the weather is good.
I have small kids and am quite busy so other than this, the bike would be parked (i.e. it would be low mileage bike, we're talking 1k km / year) - this is also the reason I'm hesitating whether is it really worth it.

Currently, I'm on trekking bike (this one: bike-data.com/en/Focus/Blue-Ridge/261/ ) with "upgraded" tires to 28-622 continental "ultra sport". I'm also always using SPD pedals.

The thing is, I'm thinking whether would I gain anything [by spending cca 1k for cca 1k km/year] considering I'd be carrying 4-5 kilos on my back (backpack + laptop + t-shirt to change).. Do you think it would be worth it?
Do you have any suggestions in this price range?
Old 05-24-19, 11:38 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Undisclosed location?

You going to come out here to buy it ?? followed your link , it's what gets called a Hybrid with a suspension fork ..

LBS .. has some used road .. bikes .. its a rural area Mountain bikes , used ones, turn over quicker..
New, Trek Raleigh, Felt and a few other brands ..

IDK what brands are in shops around you , you did not say..

Worth it ? I cannot say... worth it to me or you?

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-24-19 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-24-19, 01:58 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
You will almost certainly go faster with a road bike than that Focus, but I agree that a better upgrade would be to get the stuff you're carrying off your back and onto a rack.
Likes For surak:
Old 05-24-19, 02:35 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Focus brand has road bikes too..
Old 05-24-19, 02:41 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
If I were carrying my laptop on a rear rack I would have to build a carrier---something with many layers of isolating foam and triply waterproof. It would be easy and I would find it fun .... but I wouldn't trust my laptop to constant vibrations, the occasional spill, and every sort of liquid from occasional splashes to sudden cloudbursts.

Normally I would recommend buy more bikes just because. In this case, since it is only 12.5 miles each way (45 minutes ride?) The Focus ought to do the job fine. Spending a thousand euros could get you a pretty decent new or a decent used road bike---but unless you hated riding the Focus to work, it isn't likely that you'd get €1000 of use out of the new bike.

When the kids are a little older get a new mid-range road bike and enjoy it for evening and weekend rides, I'd say.

If, however, you absolutely Hate the Focus ......

Hard to tell form the small pic but it looks like the focus might have an adjustable stem? If so, you could raise and lower the bars for days when you wanted to crouch way down or sit upright. Having the gear in a trunk bag and or/two panniers should also make riding a lot more pleasant and won't stress your core, arms, and shoulders when leaning forward.

If you absolutely Must get a new bike, check out the Fuji Sportiv line ... I got one as a rain-bike and now it is my go-to half the time because it is so comfortable, reliable, and can haul all my gear when I need it to.

Of course, I have no idea what is sold where you live, which could be eastern Kentucky or the east end of the Czech Republic or anywhere else.
Old 05-24-19, 03:14 PM
fietsbob
Banned

talking about kilometers and prices in Euros I think Kentucky is unlikely..

20 km each way every day of the week , Maybe in this day & Age go shopping for an electric bike
&2 battery chargers

I had a 12 mile commute but no family @ home .. It was an Hour each way ..

so every work day was 10 hours.. 2 on the commute..

might be pretty knackered by that evening..

Old 05-24-19, 03:26 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by MayD
Hi all,

I've been thinking about upgrading (well, buying additional one ) to second hand middle-range or new lower-range (cca 1k euro +/-) road bike.

It would be mostly used for driving to work (20km / 12,5mi each way) on quite straight road with *laptop in my backpack* 2-3 times a week when the weather is good.
I have small kids and am quite busy so other than this, the bike would be parked (i.e. it would be low mileage bike, we're talking 1k km / year) - this is also the reason I'm hesitating whether is it really worth it.

Currently, I'm on trekking bike (this one: bike-data.com/en/Focus/Blue-Ridge/261/ ) with "upgraded" tires to 28-622 continental "ultra sport". I'm also always using SPD pedals.

The thing is, I'm thinking whether would I gain anything [by spending cca 1k for cca 1k km/year] considering I'd be carrying 4-5 kilos on my back (backpack + laptop + t-shirt to change).. Do you think it would be worth it?
Do you have any suggestions in this price range?
Many people commute quite happily on road bikes with backpacks. A couple of thoughts: invest in a decent backpack designed for bike commuting. I have an Osprey (don't know if they are available where you are but sure you could get one online) and it's well worth it. 20km isn't too far, especially on a light, fast bike that you enjoy riding. You have plenty of options at 1K euros.
Old 05-24-19, 03:32 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Where are you located? If you're already on 28s, I suspect that the road conditions are not bad enough to warrant wider tires and front suspension.

I'd go for a road bike. It will almost certainly be lighter and will allow you to ride more aerodynamically, both of which will be faster. Faster saves time and is IMO more fun.

As long as your back doesn't complain, there's nothing wrong with riding with a backpack.