Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling event - what makes or breaks your participation?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling event - what makes or breaks your participation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-19, 11:29 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
ɅɅɅɅ
Originally Posted by jadocs
To your first point, agreed, charitable organizations responsibility is to their mission (charity) not cyclists.

Yes I do think it is unreasonable to strong arm participants...are you kidding me with this justification? They are a charity.....people give them money for free, they should be grateful for anyone willing to help….
To further extrapolate the obligations of the charity to prospective donors (riders), should the charity tolerate anyone to ride the route, just to cultivate the goodwill of possible potential future donors?
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Certainly, one of the draws of an organized ride is that usually a nice route is detailed by the local organized.

One who rides the route unregistered (and unpaid) on the day of the event is known as a bandit.
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Can I ride on a century event if I'm not registered?”

If the event is being held on open public roads, yes. However, you'll have to supply your own food, water, snacks, and support.

While I may or may not judge you, those who are running the event likely will.
Originally Posted by jwalther
Yes you can, but no you shouldn't.
Originally Posted by TimothyH
If you use the organizer's services - rest stops or SAG - without paying then you are stealing.
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I encourage it!
Old 07-17-19, 09:41 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
I think the most I did for charity group rides was in 2009. I have hit a few local bike shop rides over the years. After commuting all week the shop ride is hard to ask the family to allow me to go ride on the weekend. there is stuff to do as a family on the weekends.

I have paid $$ for and got an AirBNB for Unpaved in PA Supports something but more just wanted to try a gravel ride) this year. i have also (paid) done the mountains to coast ride across NC (supported the business and tourism more than a charity)

I think required fundraising amounts are not cool have not participated in the local MS ride because of it.

I did have a coworker pay for my entry fee to ride that supports a homeless shelter in town. We also asked coworkers to support and we raised $500 in addition to the entry fee.
Old 07-17-19, 11:54 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
The biggest charity ride (by far) around here is the Pan Mass Challenge. The entry fees cover the cost of putting on the event so 100% of the money raised in donations goes to the Dana Farber Cancer Institute for the work that they do.

They also have a minimum fundraising commitment…
As I posted earlier to this thread, in particular in response to a prior rant by @jadocs and others:In 2018 the PMC raised $56 million for the world famous DFCI Cancer treatment Institute.

It seems reasonable that the mission of such charity organizations is to support their causes, not for the benfit of cylists, though they offer the draw of a well supported distance ride.

So it doesn’t seem unreasonable to seemingly strong arm participants to raise a certain amount of funds, likely (much) more than an individual, unrewarded donation.
Thanks for your reply, @jadocs. While term “strongarm,” may be too severe to describe relation between the charity and rider, nonetheless the charity’s mission is to its beneficiaries.

They may cultivate the donors (riders), but they still have expectations for donations, even just as a quid pro quo. .
Certainly, one of the draws of an organized ride is that usually a nice route is detailed by the local organizers...

So instead of merely soliciting donations, those organizations provide a tax-deductible experience for a “gallant” cause.
Yet many of the subscribers to this thread seemed to consider such donations unduly burdensome. And this reluctantance to donate seems to imply that willing participants are “chumps.”

Maybe the term, “tools” is more descriptive.
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew
I think the most I did for charity group rides was in 2009…I have paid $$ for and got an AirBNB for Unpaved in PA Supports something but more just wanted to try a gravel ride) this year. i have also (paid) done the mountains to coast ride across NC (supported the business and tourism more than a charity)

I think required fundraising amounts are not cool have not participated in the local MS ride because of it….
Just a few minutes ago I encountered a colleague who is a strong cyclist and perennially rides the Pan Mass, and annually sends a fundraising letter thoughout the organization (located in the vicinity of the PMC route).

He writes this well-written request:
Dear Friends,

It is that time of year again! On August 3rd and 4th I will be riding 192 miles from Sturbridge to Provincetown in my 20th Pan Massachusetts Challenge to support the Jimmy Fund. This year I will again ride in honor of our family members with cancer. We lost my brother-in-law … in 2012, my mother-in-law … in 2014, and my aunt … in 2017. They are all missed.

The PMC is the single largest contributor to the Jimmy Fund. 100% of every rider-raised dollar goes directly to the Jimmy Fund to fund cancer research and find an eventual cure. This year’s fundraising goal is $60,000,000, and my rider commitment is $5000, so I really need your help. Please join me in the crusade against cancer. Together we can make a difference.

As previously, to honor your friends and loved ones, I would be happy to wear their names, and any message you may have, on my rider’s jersey. Simply include the details with your donation

Secure, tax-deductible donations can be made online @ PMC.org/egifts/JF0011. Otherwise, checks made payable to “PMC/Jimmy Fund” can be forwarded to me at:…

Don’t forget, MAPFRE offers a 5% discount on Massachusetts auto insurance to those who donate $25 or more!
I mentioned to him about this thread on Bike Forums and he readily admitted that he initially started riding the PMC for the challenge, before the cause.
Old 07-17-19, 02:21 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
Yeah, supporting Ford would be a deal breaker for me.
It's not so much the supporting Ford - I don't like him but people can make up their own minds. The issue was that they were essentially breaking campaign funding laws and trying to pass it off as a 'grassroots' campaign run by ordinary people.

I was still considering participating this year, but I think I just talked myself out of it.