Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

FANY Ride Daily Report

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

FANY Ride Daily Report

Old 07-20-19, 01:47 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
FANY Ride Daily Report

Some of you enjoyed my daily updates on my cross country ride a few years ago. If you’re interested I’ll do a similar daily update with photos as we have internet connectivity.

Wouldn’t you think that if you traveled 1000 miles north it might be cooler??? Upstate NY.......25 miles from the Canadian border and it’s still 95 degrees???? Local utilities are asking customers to curtail their electric usage in the afternoons. Their systems weren’t built for these higher temperatures.

Fortunately the high temperatures might just be limited to one more day of riding. Doing Five Hundred Miles Across NY (FANY) with my super SAG Wife. It’s not a large group (160+) riders but they don’t offer rest stops. No worries with Jeri driving along with local stores along the route. Since my wife is still recovering from shoulder surgery we’ve opted for hotels versus staying in tents this week. It’s a pretty good gig! This ride starts in Plattsburgh and ends in Poughkeepsie on Friday. I’m hoping to do the longest ride option each day.

I did an optional 45 miler this morning with a ton of hills in the first half of the ride. There was a 5 mile climb where hills had pitches of 11%-14%. It felt a lot like riding in the NC mountains. But after 20+ miles you reached the highest point of the ride and pretty much a good tailwind for 15 miles. There was a quick descent into a town with a 30 mph speed limit. I looked at my computer and I was doing 40 mph so backed it down a little.

A really nice brown ale at Plattsburgh brewery

Long views on the ride out.

Huge old prison in the town of Dannemora

Today’s history lesson. Saranac River in the background

Saranac River

Lake Champlain monument

Saranac River

History lesson #2

The start town

My ride this week. Glad to have the disc brakes with these hills!
I didn’t see anyone else doing the route but I did start out early. The first official day of the tour starts tomorrow.

The Plattsburgh Brewery had a really nice Brown Ale that we enjoyed last night.

Some photos from today’s ride.
Old 07-20-19, 04:48 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I grew up in the mid-Hudson area near Poughkeepsie and still have family there. There is a lot of history along the eastern seaboard and many Americans don't know about the sacrifices that got us to where we are. There were plenty of opportunities for our history to have taken a different course. The War of 1812 was a near thing and the linked video shows that. I recently read a book about the privateer replica, Pride of Baltimore that makes the same points seen in the video.

I loved your cross country tour and posts. I look forward to this tour posts also. Need a report on New York's wine country.
Old 07-22-19, 02:15 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Recent TV series featuring Dannemora prison as the locale, concerned the rare prison break there about 15yrs ago.
So what does your wife do during the day?
Old 07-24-19, 08:21 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
You are making me homesick with the shot of the distant mountains. Originally from the Albany area and our youngest daughter graduated from Plattsburgh so we spent four years driving to the area. Be safe and thanks for the photos.
Frank.
Old 07-24-19, 08:44 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
You are making me homesick with the shot of the distant mountains. Originally from the Albany area and our youngest daughter graduated from Plattsburgh so we spent four years driving to the area. Be safe and thanks for the photos.
Frank.
Beautiful area to spend some time riding around for sure. The old farms and views are magnificent!
Likes For jppe: