Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Just Ordered A Greenzone 16"

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-19, 05:23 AM
TimTurbo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello-I am a newbie to the forum. I have just ordered a Greenzone 16" folding bike. I wanted a single speed model for its simplicity. The Greenzone seemed to have the best value for my limited budget after looking at Dahon, Vilano, etc. etc.
I am curious as to what I should expect and how you folks out there like living with a 16" single speed bike. If anyone is wondering, I got an orange one.......
I also have a 700c fixie that I love to ride-but a folding bike enables me to have more vehicles at my disposal for a quick ride.
I appreciate any responses-pro or con. Thanks and take care. Timmy
Old 07-20-19, 11:59 AM
BikeKraft
BikingYupik

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It will be slow, but faster than walking. I hope you let us know after a few rides.
Old 07-20-19, 01:19 PM
ttakata73

Bikes: *1998 GT Forte Ti 700c, Totem KDS-D 26" fatbike, BirdyGT 18", Brompton M2LX 16"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I wouldn't doubt if that was made at the Dahon factory anyway. Seems a solid buy. You're probably not going to ride fast since the posture is relaxed but that's common among folders. Just enjoy a more relaxed ride.
Old 07-21-19, 02:46 PM
TimTurbo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for all the responses-it is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday-and I hope to test-ride it the same day.
I realize that a lot of folks on this forum seem to prefer Dahons or Bromptons, which are top-quality folders. But my budget allows only an entry level ride.
I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond to a Greenzone customer such as myself.
As for what I expect, the bike is going to mainly be used for casual riding, hence the single speed setup. But I have been looking at models with 6 or more speeds........
Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted. Take care.
Old 07-22-19, 07:39 AM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by TimTurbo
Thanks for all the responses-it is scheduled to arrive on Wednesday-and I hope to test-ride it the same day.
I realize that a lot of folks on this forum seem to prefer Dahons or Bromptons, which are top-quality folders. But my budget allows only an entry level ride.
I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond to a Greenzone customer such as myself.
As for what I expect, the bike is going to mainly be used for casual riding, hence the single speed setup. But I have been looking at models with 6 or more speeds........
Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted. Take care.
Looking forward to seeing it; while single speeds aren't my thing, I am interested in 16" wheel folders since I have no experience with them at all. Make sure you check spoke tension before you ride, though - my Origami had a few that were too loose for my liking.

I feel you on the budget; that's part of why I went with my Crane 8 instead of something by Dahon.

If you want to get adventurous, since that frame on your Greenzone has horizontal dropouts you could put away to have a hub-gear rear wheel built for it...
Old 08-11-19, 01:40 PM
biker8989

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
true
Old 08-11-19, 06:02 PM
TimTurbo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I received the bike on July 21st. The package looked okay-and the bike arrived in good shape. All it needed was an adjustment of the steering tube inside the fork a few degrees and pumping up the tires.
I removed the fenders, wheel reflectors, and rear rack because I prefer the stripped-down look. But the items have been saved in a box for future use.
So far I have put about 10 miles on it-including a 5 mile ride today around a lake near my home. It's not built for speed-I have a 700c fixie for that. Hills are a bit of a challenge-but I just get off and push, which, to me, is pretty much the same as walking around part of the lake.....Just make sure you have your good walking shoes.....Nothing came loose, fell off, broke, or otherwise went wrong (so far)......
It's not a Brompton or a Dahon-but for what I paid, it's an awesome little scoot. I am quite pleased with it. I highly recommend it for anyone on a budget looking for a casual folding rider. And it fits nicely in the passenger seat of a Miata. I cannot wait to take it down to our favorite vacation spot by the Atlantic and ride the nice level beach trails......

Last edited by TimTurbo; 08-11-19 at 06:05 PM.
Likes For TimTurbo:
Old 08-12-19, 05:31 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
Greenzone sounds like war terminology.
Old 08-20-19, 01:16 PM
edwong3

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
Sounds cool Tim. I have been looking at the Greenzone Single Speed Value Edition for some time now. At this moment, I don't have even one bike at my place of residence in spite of my avatar photo and signature which I will have to change when I get a chance.

A few years ago, I owned one of their 7 speed, 20" bikes, and it was excellent for both recreational and commuting use. Gook looking bike that could have been mistaken for a Dahon. Sadly, I had to sell it when I became unemployed back then.

Back to the Value 16, for $199 USD shipped, a free storage bag, water bottle and cage, it is a value proposition that is hard to beat. Enjoy your ride!

Ed

Last edited by edwong3; 08-20-19 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-29-19, 07:18 PM
Taipei Tony

Bikes: Tern Verge Duo(PINK!)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tomtomtom123
Greenzone sounds like war terminology.
Likes For Taipei Tony:
Old 09-06-19, 01:06 PM
edwong3

Hey Tim,

It's been several months now since you got your Greenzone Value 16 and was wondering how is it performing for you? Do you still like it and has it been reliable to date? Curious minds would like to know.

Well, I received the bike on July 21st. The package looked okay-and the bike arrived in good shape. All it needed was an adjustment of the steering tube inside the fork a few degrees and pumping up the tires.
I removed the fenders, wheel reflectors, and rear rack because I prefer the stripped-down look. But the items have been saved in a box for future use.

So far I have put about 10 miles on it-including a 5 mile ride today around a lake near my home. It's not built for speed-I have a 700c fixie for that. Hills are a bit of a challenge-but I just get off and push, which, to me, is pretty much the same as walking around part of the lake.....Just make sure you have your good walking shoes.....Nothing came loose, fell off, broke, or otherwise went wrong (so far)......
It's not a Brompton or a Dahon-but for what I paid, it's an awesome little scoot. I am quite pleased with it. I highly recommend it for anyone on a budget looking for a casual folding rider. And it fits nicely in the passenger seat of a Miata. I cannot wait to take it down to our favorite vacation spot by the Atlantic and ride the nice level beach trails......
Old 09-06-19, 03:34 PM
TimTurbo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by edwong3
Hey Tim,

It's been several months now since you got your Greenzone Value 16 and was wondering how is it performing for you? Do you still like it and has it been reliable to date? Curious minds would like to know.
Thanks for your inquiry-the little Greenzone has been great!!!! As I said before, it is not really made for long distance rides, but I managed to do a 5 mile trip around a local lake-complete with hills-and it was fine. I weigh around 240 pounds-and the bike has had no problems so far. Great value!!!
Old 09-06-19, 04:56 PM
edwong3

That's great Tim! Thanks for the reply. I hope you continue to enjoy that bike for many more miles.

Thanks for your inquiry-the little Greenzone has been great!!!! As I said before, it is not really made for long distance rides, but I managed to do a 5 mile trip around a local lake-complete with hills-and it was fine. I weigh around 240 pounds-and the bike has had no problems so far. Great value!!!
Old 09-06-19, 05:21 PM
edwong3

In case anyone is interested, here is the link to the thread I started back in 2012 when I got my 20" 7 speed Value Edition.

https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...e-edition.html

Loved that bike and miss it a lot.