Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Campy clamp-on cable guide help

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-19, 10:29 PM
HerrSchultze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I'm working on an old crescent pepita. It originally came with suntour derailleurs, however, I bought some nuovo record(NR) to substitute those with. However, I seem to have filled to do enough research, and got a NR front derailleur with no cable housing stop .

I would like to find a way to be able to use this derailleur.

My bike originally used a clamp on cable guide that routed above the BB. In the non drive it has a cable stop. On the drive side, it has a long half tube where the cable passes naked. Like campagnolo part 626. The only braze on my bike has is a chainstay for the rear derailleur.

I was thinking about using the campagnolo guide 626/A which has a long tube on the non drive. In principle, I believe this would take care of the front derailleur. However, on the drive side, the tube is short.

This contrasts with the predetermined routing for my bike. (Long tube on the drive side, braze on in chain stay).

I've been trying to find some pictures online that show how these parts route the cable in detail, so it would be nube of you guys could help me out somehow to see if this would work.

Another solution would be getting a campagnolo 628 cable stop clamp. However, the stop is on the drive side and I don't know if this would affect the action of the derailleur.

I tried to put some pics, however I don't have enough posts. Sadly.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 07-20-19, 11:28 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Sounds like you need one of these.

A zeus branded one also works.

Funny, but there's two less expensive campy guides on ebay with the housing stop. You don't often see those.
Old 07-20-19, 11:39 PM
HerrSchultze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
Is the rear derailleur cable also run free air with that clamp?
Also, is there going to be any problem because the length of the guide on the drive side much shorter that the original, based upon which the chainstay braze on was placed?
Old 07-21-19, 12:11 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrSchultze
Is the rear derailleur cable also run free air with that clamp?
Not sure what you mean. With this cable guide, the only housing necessary is the short piece between your chainstay guide and the rear derailleur.

Also, is there going to be any problem because the length of the guide on the drive side much shorter that the original..?
No, it should work fine.

Maybe someone here has one he can sell/trade you. That one I linked is really rough looking.
Old 07-21-19, 04:30 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrSchultze
. Is the rear derailleur cable also run free air with that clamp?
Also, is there going to be any problem because the length of the guide on the drive side much shorter that the original, based upon which the chainstay braze on was placed?
The RD cable will run from the DT shifters to the chain stay braze on (aka "divers helmet") near the RD without housing. The guide on the DS of the Campy clamp, mentioned above, on only needs to be long enough to make the turn at the BB.

BITD, the housing section from the divers helmet to the RD was 220mm. See if that's right for you. My Crescent 92319 Pepita is not so old (1974) so 220mm worked fine for me.
Old 07-21-19, 07:35 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
You can use a 626 clamp, or have you thought about just running the FD cable under the bottom bracket and then up between the stays ?

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
Old 07-21-19, 07:55 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by mpetry912
You can use a 626 clamp, or have you thought about just running the FD cable under the bottom bracket and then up between the stays ?

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA USA
I haven't done it that way but don't you need to run cable housing underneath the BB? That would certainly save the OP some money.
Old 07-21-19, 08:50 AM
HerrSchultze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for the replies guys! I think I'm gonna give the 626/A clamp a chance and get back at you.
Old 07-21-19, 04:47 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I haven't done it that way but don't you need to run cable housing underneath the BB? That would certainly save the OP some money.
No, it can be done, but will wear a track in the paInt. A quick and dirty solution that leaves the paint in better shape, is to grease the cable really well in that area, cut a short piece (~4 inches maybe a little less, IIRC), squeeze more grease into that, thread your cable, and then adjust as usual. But why not get the correct part.
Old 07-21-19, 05:58 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
No, it can be done, but will wear a track in the paInt. A quick and dirty solution that leaves the paint in better shape, is to grease the cable really well in that area, cut a short piece (~4 inches maybe a little less, IIRC), squeeze more grease into that, thread your cable, and then adjust as usual. But why not get the correct part.
I didn't say it couldn't be done, I just said I haven't done it and I suggested using some cable housing running underneath the BB to deal with the issue you point out.

It it saves the OP some money and this solves the problem, that's a reason not to get the "right" part. But obviously that's the OP's decision.